Oil Change Interval vs. 40K DSG Service

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
I haven't been able to find just how imperative it is that the DSG tranny service be done exactly at 40K miles. I just had my oil changed at 37K and would like to put off the DSG service until 47K because the 40K service, which includes oil change, fuel filter, cabin filter, grease sunroof, etc is $550 whereas just the DSG service is $300. Is there any reason it couldn't wait until 47K or so?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I changed mine @ 65,000 miles. Reason for that was for the 2nd DSG and filter change to coincide with the oem recommended 120,000 miles (or so) major tune , TB/WP and Vag.com tuning.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
starjays, are you skipping the rest of the 40K service? It's more than an oil change. Why don't you have the 40K service done without the oil change?

And ruking, so you're skipping one change interval for the DSG in the first 120K miles. I'm not passing judgement, but you're not following the manufacturer's change intervals.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
starjays, are you skipping the rest of the 40K service? It's more than an oil change. Why don't you have the 40K service done without the oil change?

And ruking, so you're skipping one change interval for the DSG in the first 120K miles. I'm not passing judgement, but you're not following the manufacturer's change intervals.
Actually I am ! Not to take away business from parts vendors, but both the oil /oil filter change and DSG and filter intervals are EXTREMELY conservative. Correct it is a 63% extension. The VW oem recommendation is @ 10,000 miles for the oil/oil filter change. 40,000 miles for the DSG and filter changes.

The 2009 VW Jetta TDI is @ 95,000 miles. 30,000 miles OCI's are also run. It gets 41 mpg in a grueling commute (15,000 miles per year.) The DSG runs like the proverbial top. I was not able to exceed 89,000 miles on the OEM tires. Will see how the replacement set (Continental Pure Contacts) does.:)

Last edited:

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
To the OP, could you push it to 47K, yes you could, but that is not what is recommended. Should you ever develop an issue with your DSG, you will likely get much better satisfaction from VW on a warranty claim if you can produce the record that you completed this important service component at the correct interval.

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT

Thanks for the reply, no I intended to get the "full court press" on the 40K service. And I sort of figured I'd probably be able to get away with putting it off without anything catastrophic happening but basically inferred that it may cause me trouble down the road regarding warranty issues.

Jeez though, I didn't do enough homework on this car at all. I absolutely love it but there was a lot I was unaware of. My wife and I just got handed down my mom's old 2001 Toyota Avalon with 197K miles, runs like its brand new. I asked my dad how often he'd changed the tranny fluid/filter. He thought maybe once, but couldn't be sure...

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
To the OP, could you push it to 47K, yes you could, but that is not what is recommended. Should you ever develop an issue with your DSG, you will likely get much better satisfaction from VW on a warranty claim if you can produce the record that you completed this important service component at the correct interval.
Thanks a lot for the reply, kinda figured this position would be the consensus but wanted to throw the question out there. Now if I could ask a really basic question, aside from documentation and warranty issues, why is this such an important service component? I'm approaching 40K and the tranny is shifting great in both D and S...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I was not able to exceed 89,000 miles on the OEM tires. Will see how the replacement set (Continental Pure Contacts) does.:)
Were the OEM tires Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 senor?

Thanks, ez....

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Thanks a lot for the reply, kinda figured this position would be the consensus but wanted to throw the question out there. Now if I could ask a really basic question, aside from documentation and warranty issues, why is this such an important service component? I'm approaching 40K and the tranny is shifting great in both D and S...

Don't think of it as only a transmission, it is also more like a transfer case in a 4X4

the DSG has two sets of clutches, which are in the same fluid that lubricates the gears and operates controls.

My old Chevy had a 50k transfer case fluid change, whether you stayed in 2wd or not.

http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW Files/DSG-SSP.pdf

if you want to see more on the DSG.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI

What you are saying are true and truly , ...FEARs ! Now I do not know IF his DSG has the 10 year and/or 100,000 miles drive train warranty (DSG). However mine DOES and I have the letter with specific VIN #. SO, ... that begs the question: @ 95,000 miles, do I expect the DSG to break down @ 100,000 miles?:D:eek::cool:

Anybody want to bet?

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Yes !! The aftermarket prices are high and higher than the replacement tires !! ??
.....almost 90k on OEM rubber is impressive, amigo.............

thanks, ez (San Jose State grad)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
.....almost 90k on OEM rubber is impressive, amigo.............
thanks, ez (San Jose State grad)
Thank you ! Go Spartans !

So I guess there probably should be a defacto plug for factory ALIGNMENT and tire balancing !

All these MIGHT look unrelated. I think it goes to the statement that almost all VW recommendations are conservative. (aka DSG, DSG filter, oil change interval)

Last edited: