VW MFD Navigation System - Resource Thread

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
Well I've had a pretty busy summer and I only got around to installing my MFD and TMC this past weekend. The install went pretty smoothly. I made a pig-tail harness very similar to the pencilneck one with the 4 pin quick disconnect so the pig tail adaptor can be easily removed.

I loaded in disc #1 and it updated the MFD firmware. I drove around for a few miles and it just worked. I was very pleased. I used some generic tap connectors from my local hardware store (the ones that are not recommended because they may result in no GALA signal). I didn't have the radioshack phone tap connectors on hand and I just wanted to get the job done. Anyways it appears the GALA signal is working just fine.

This is the MFD info:
NAV HW: 1002/36416
STAMP Mar 10 2003 / 12:10:57

my only problem right now is that despite having installed a TMC box, the volume and selection buttons on my steering wheel are not working. The cruise control works but no radio control. I will check all can-bus connections with my voltmeter this evening. If that fails I'll check the fuse in the TMC box, and if that fails I'll bring it up with the fellow that sold the TMC to me. The TMC box looks to be a 4BX 919 894A that has been flashed to 3B0 919 894A by Navi Service in Germany. The seller claimed it was working perfectly for him in his passat with MFD and FIS display.

Well I'll check it out this evening.

I haven't actually fitted the MFD into the DD slot yet, and it looks like it is going to be a real PITA. I will certainly use the string method to help pull the wires back at the same time I'm inserting the MFD.

wish me luck

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
classen said:
Well I've had a pretty busy summer and I only got around to installing my MFD and TMC this past weekend. The install went pretty smoothly. I made a pig-tail harness very similar to the pencilneck one with the 4 pin quick disconnect so the pig tail adaptor can be easily removed.

I loaded in disc #1 and it updated the MFD firmware. I drove around for a few miles and it just worked. I was very pleased. I used some generic tap connectors from my local hardware store (the ones that are not recommended because they may result in no GALA signal). I didn't have the radioshack phone tap connectors on hand and I just wanted to get the job done. Anyways it appears the GALA signal is working just fine.

This is the MFD info:
NAV HW: 1002/36416
STAMP Mar 10 2003 / 12:10:57

my only problem right now is that despite having installed a TMC box, the volume and selection buttons on my steering wheel are not working. The cruise control works but no radio control. I will check all can-bus connections with my voltmeter this evening. If that fails I'll check the fuse in the TMC box, and if that fails I'll bring it up with the fellow that sold the TMC to me. The TMC box looks to be a 4BX 919 894A that has been flashed to 3B0 919 894A by Navi Service in Germany. The seller claimed it was working perfectly for him in his passat with MFD and FIS display.

Well I'll check it out this evening.

I haven't actually fitted the MFD into the DD slot yet, and it looks like it is going to be a real PITA. I will certainly use the string method to help pull the wires back at the same time I'm inserting the MFD.

wish me luck
If your TMC box is working, then you will see "TMC" in the lower right corner of the map display in info mode... I just went through the TMC fuse failure issue (and succeeded in fixing it) - if I can be of any assistance let me know.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
Ooops. I had my wires crossed. I had the CAN-BUS high and low crossed from the TMC to the DD plug. All is good now and the steering wheel controls work.
yeah!!!:D

RedDemonSA

can someone tell me how to unlock the MDF??? Put in the wrong code 2 times and it was locked. I have the correct code now, but I just need to unlock the MDF. Help me please!!!!!!!!!! i want to get this thing going!!!