Sliced finger on sharp edge in front of shifter

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I thought I'd read someone else having this issue, but I couldn't find anything doing a search here in the Mk7 forum.

So...I'm not the only one who's dealt with this, am I? For those who haven't "enjoyed" this experience yet, the chrome trim at the front of the console - ahead of the shifter, and right at the bottom of where the little cubby's door closes - apparently has a tendency to peel somehow...and leave an edge that is guaranteed to snag and slice anything that moves past it, including human skin.

I asked at my dealer and there's no recall, even though the service advisor there told me he'd similarly cut his hand on his car.

Has anyone had any success in getting VWoA or VWoC to provide a free repair/replacement on this skin slicer?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
You could always try VWoC customer care, I have in general found them useless in the USA though...

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
had mine replaced under 3/36 warranty. new part is made better with no sharp edge.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Common problem since the MK6 I believe.

VW doesn't sell the chrome trim individually, so you'd have to buy a whole new shifter if it's not covered under warranty.

The other options are to buy matching vinyl wrap have a pro cover the trim. Or wait for a broken/cheap shifter to appear on eBay/Car-Part/AliExpress and transplant the trim.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Aliexpress has some options; I just ordered a full surround (including the black P-R-N-D/S panel) for ~$25USD.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
had mine replaced for free outside of the 3/36 warranty, my daughter cut her hand and I cut mine twice, had to go to the dealer with my hand bleeding and call VW though cuz dealer wasn't sure they would cover it

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Oh yeah, for sure! I had my wrapped/covered in a matte CF vinyl because I wasn't getting cut again! That foil finish will also start to peel from the airbag/steering wheel surround. I haven't had it start on mine yet but I have seen it on a handful of MK7 GSW/Golf.

Good on VWoA for replacing it for those that had it done. I did ask my dealer and they wouldn't replace but that was probably before many people had it happening and reported in.

@Nuje #dropthatlink in here :-D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would you mind posting or PMing me a link?
This is the one I purchased; haven't used this seller before, but they had the best price and decent (and plentiful) feedback.

I have used the seller of this one before - they have options for just the metal frame, or including with the PRND/S plate; everything i've bought from them is OEM, or certainly, indistinguishable from OEM, but lately, their shipments have taken well over a month. And their price was a bit more, even for just the frame.

Last edited:

Datalore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI- SOLD, 2000 VW Beetle ALH- SOLD, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE DSG
For what it is worth, I had my shifter and trim replaced under the CPO warranty on my 2015 GSW.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How long ago was that? Curious if this was within the 3yr. warranty window, or if it was done outside that.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I also had mine replaced under the 3/36 BTB warranty on my 2015 GSW for the same reason, thing was as sharp as a razor blade. They didn't bat an eye.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Which one did you go with? If you got the more expensive one from VAGBASE, I'll be curious to compare the one I ordered with yours.
Went with the same store you did (Kuju) as: cheaper, more confirmed orders, higher rating, and faster estimated delivery.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Let's start a class action suit:p:p:p..... no problems on mine yet, be better if someone files some complaints at NHTSA....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Received my replacement trim / bezel from Aliexpress today; 5-minute install (after I decided to leave the boot and its attached black PRNDS piece in the car) and simply replace the chrome trim.
Oddly enough, the chrome trim piece seems to fit the black PRNDS that was in the car better than the one with which it came attached - shown in photo below (it didn't quite fully snap into place on one corner).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1. Open little door to the cubby in front of shifter.
2. Lift sharply on the front end of the trim piece - right where it threatens to kill you and anyone who dares to enter your car.
3. There is no three.
:D
(Seriously - I was surprised at how simply and cleanly everything came apart.)

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Received my replacement trim / bezel from Aliexpress today; 5-minute install (after I decided to leave the boot and its attached black PRNDS piece in the car) and simply replace the chrome trim.
Oddly enough, the chrome trim piece seems to fit the black PRNDS that was in the car better than the one with which it came attached - shown in photo below (it didn't quite fully snap into place on one corner).

Would this piece fit a 6 speed manual?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I highly doubt it - parts listings I've seen always say that this is "automatic" or "DSG".

Here's one that includes shift boot and (apparently) its associated chrome trim piece.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I put an inch of scotch tape over the sharp part.

My wife had cut her finger a couple times.

How she is happy.

Last edited: