www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 26th, 2016, 02:15   #61
poxxxy

Old thread revival again, long time turbo conversion in the making . MK4 1.9 TDI ARL PD 150 with VNT 17 standard... now will be fitted with a hybrid turbo i've had built up for me. It has a Merc 2260VKLR CHRA and cold side on a BMW 2260VK exhaust housing (v-bands).

Now I need to figure out what oil line connections I need... at the moment the water/oil flange has been tapped and fitted with what looks to be a standard oil union for the oil inlet. On the oil return outlet we have a push fit connection screwed into the flange of around 1/2" outer diameter (ID of pipe will need to be 1/2"), water inlet has a 3/8 outer diameter push fit (ID of pipe will need to be 3/8").

I am unsure on what thread exactly is on the standard turbo union.

What size is the banjo on oil filter housing end?

Yesterday I picked up the push in water return pipe (that bolts onto the CHRA) from mercedes. I'm not yet sure how this will fit.

The oil return is also a little bit of a puzzle.

I need to try and get some hoses made up as they are the last piece of the puzzle in this turbo conversion project (apart from actually seeing if everything fits ok!).

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
poxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:57   #62
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxxxy View Post
What size is the banjo on oil filter housing end?
12mm, coarse thread (I forget the pitch exactly, but it looks like 1.75 on the one sitting here)

ETA: shut up dummy past me, future me now knows it is m12x1.5

Last edited by [486]; March 26th, 2020 at 19:54.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 21:39   #63
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I will try to find the vendor, but I bought a Golf/Jetta flex line off ebay for $30.00 or so and it has the banjo on one end, and a 90 on the other end. It has been problem free for many miles. On my turbo there is a oil flow restricting "washer" that is between the oil fitting and the turbo body, and did not cause any troubles for the oil supply as my turbos have not had oiling issues. The factory got it right this time...
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 17:05   #64
raenglehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrhtuner View Post
I came across this thread.
http://www.ptaaron.com/oil-line/
Has anybody tried to make their own such as the link above?
I was looking into doing that as well, but after looking up all the parts, it came out to be almost $65 and that was via eBay.
I'm going to go after the one piece flex line as mentioned by several others throughout this thread and others. I'm running stock stuff, and no plans to make any big power upgrades any time soon. Factory line cracked at the turbo end connection on me about a week ago. I'll also replace the turbo union fitting as well since I have it out.
raenglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 17:44   #65
jhax
Veteran Member

Bump again, will the noted turbo chra banjo bolt fit into a GTC1549VZ?
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 11:28   #66
ClimbRunOm

Sorry to necro an old post, but I picked up a braided stainless (Teflon) hose +fittings from our local hydraulic shop, ($80! ) and I was thinking about making a little heat shield to insulate it slightly from the exhaust manifold...

I was thinking either wrapping the turbo side in some of that fiberglass exhaust tape ($5), OR making a little sheet metal heat shield (1hr)... (Or both)

Has anyone added any insulation to their flexible turbo oil feed line?

EDIT: did anyone use Teflon tape on the threads when installing the line?

EDIT2: This is for an ALH TDI

Last edited by ClimbRunOm; March 26th, 2020 at 11:30.
ClimbRunOm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 08:23   #67
jwrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbRunOm View Post
Sorry to necro an old post, but I picked up a braided stainless (Teflon) hose +fittings from our local hydraulic shop, ($80! ) and I was thinking about making a little heat shield to insulate it slightly from the exhaust manifold...

I was thinking either wrapping the turbo side in some of that fiberglass exhaust tape ($5), OR making a little sheet metal heat shield (1hr)... (Or both)

Has anyone added any insulation to their flexible turbo oil feed line?

EDIT: did anyone use Teflon tape on the threads when installing the line?

EDIT2: This is for an ALH TDI
If you are going to put heat insulation on the line, use dedicated hose heat insulation. it's somewhat rubbery on the outside, OR make a little metal heat shield.

I've never found that it''s needed, but if you want to be cautious feel free.

The threads should not need ny teflon tape due to copper washers etc, however if you have a non-stock type of fitting, it may possibly be needed.
Old March 29th, 2020, 18:57   #68
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TDI-1-9-....c100008.m2219

Hmmm, like this one? Shields et al aren't necessary IMO.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 03:42   #69
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

I have the parts used listed somewhere on here. I might be able to find them. However, I replaced the banjo fitting with a straight threaded fitting.
Most I have seen dispatch with the banjo fitting.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, Bosio DLC 1019's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote