Passat move from Jetta

3ok

TDI
Jetta 2005 Graphite Blue
I just purchased a 2014 Passat SEL TDI. I have owned a 2005.5 Jetta TDI for 15 years and put 189,000 miles on it. My initial impression between the two are as follows:

1) The Passat is roomier, particularly in the back seat (where I never sit).
2) The engine on the Passat is smoother and more powerful, even though the Jetta is "chipped" and very quick.
3) The avionics "suite" is more up-to-date with current "bells and whistles">
4) The Jetta has a shorter turning radius, sportier handling, and is easier getting into small spaces.
5) The seats in the Passat are more comfortable and there are more adjustments in the SEL upgrade.
6) The trunk on the Passat is bigger with seats that fold down; however, the folding seats in the Jetta are easier to actuate
7) The Passat has a Moon Roof, which I don't care for and don't have on the Jetta; however, the option is standard equipment on the Passat
8) The Passat has a 4 gallon bigger fuel tank on the Passat and fuel mileage difference has yet to be determined, but the range is greater in the Passat never-the-less.
9) The Passat uses "Blue-def", but the Jetta does not (older model only)
10) The Passat has bigger tires (18" vice the Jett's 15") with a longer wheel base, which translates into a more comfortable ride.

I've had a long and enjoyable relationship with my old Jetta with few expenses and great reliability. If the Passat can equal the Jetta's history of reliable utility, I'll enjoy the upgrade in comfort and convenience even more!

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’m running better front and rear swaybars plus Koni red Sport struts and shocks. Very helpful in the handling department. I have 145,000 miles on my ‘15 Passat which I purchased in Oct ‘14. Other than it burning some oil. It’s a great car! I also have a Malone Stage2 tune with factory emissions. Which is super helpful and has some decent getup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Other than it burning some oil. It’s a great car! I also have a Malone Stage2 tune with factory emissions.
Is it normal to burn oil? Should I expect the same for my Passat '13 ?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
itd mostly dependant on how they were broken in. And i would hope its burning oil... and not gas.
my 12 jsw tdi burns some oil. although its not enough to have to add oil between changes.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I’m running better front and rear swaybars plus Koni red Sport struts and shocks. Very helpful in the handling department. I have 145,000 miles on my ‘15 Passat which I purchased in Oct ‘14. Other than it burning some oil. It’s a great car! I also have a Malone Stage2 tune with factory emissions. Which is super helpful and has some decent getup.

how many miles have you been stage 2? any issues with emissions systems? And how much oil you talking?

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

Seems like some people have issues and other dont. I also drive my vehicles very hard. I wouldn’t expect it to happen and it doesn’t affect my opinion about the car.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
how many miles have you been stage 2? any issues with emissions systems? And how much oil you talking?

I’ve been running it for at least 100k miles. No issues with the emissions system. I removed the tune anytime I take it for dieselgate warranty stuff. But since the “fixes” were applied I’ve left it on. I love it! At most a burn a quart. I’ll add 1/2qt at around 3500miles into the interval, and the remaining 1/2qt around 7k miles. I’ve taken it in multiple times for warranty and have done a few consumption test. VW says it’s within spec. I personally think they should be providing me with the extra oil for free. But I am running a “performance tune” and I drive this car hard. So I’m not gonna push the to hard on my opinions there.