2014 Q5 TDI Front and Rear Final Drive/Transfer Case

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Fellow compression addicts,

Has anyone been able to dissect the Scheduled MX matrix for the scheduled frequency to replace the gear oil in the Front and Rear Final Drive and Transfer Case on their TDI?

Link to Audi MX schedule as of Apr 2018:

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...heduled Maintenance_NEW FORMAT APRIL 2018.pdf

Seems like Audi could do a better job breaking that out in the matrix.

In my F350 dually I do it every 30K.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
They probably consider it a lifetime fill like they consider the ATF in the Aisin 8 speed “lifetime” fluid. That’s why it states “check for leaks” for front and rear gearbox. Changed mine out at 46k in my q7. Probably will stick to 65k intervals going forward. My old 6.4 F250 I filled with liqui-moly in the front and rear and did my OCI’s @ 40k or so, but I towed extremely heavy with that truck, around 18-20k lbs with trailer brakes (farm plates).

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
They do consider them lifetime like the tranny. I am getting the two diffs, transfer case, and tranny done on my q5 right now. It has 55k on it. It makes sense just to do them all at once. ZF recommends the tranny be done 60 - 90k.... on the lower end if the vehicle has towed.... mine has. I figure I'll just do them all at 55k intervals going forward. PIA... but cheap insurance....hahaha

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
I wouldn’t say it’s a PIA, like 3 quarts total of 75w90 liquimoly GL5 plus the fancy 2 quarts VEEDUB transfer case magic oil... in the Q7, I think your transfer case gets a ZF fluid bath IFRC. I would say you’re definitely safe at those intervals, but when I’m in doubt, I gas-spec it out! (With a clean, uncontaminated sample that is) to see what kinda shiny metal parts are in that there dino fluid and how many Dino skeletons are left to provide a barrier, technically speaking that is...even if it keeps you from one early OC it pays for itself.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
Did anyone change fluid and filter on the ZF 8 SPEED - I'm try to find out how many litres of fluid needed for a fluid change?
Thanks

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
My aisin 8 speed took around 6.65 liters with a pan drop and filter replacement...I think the manual said 6.3 litres, I used Rowe ATF, plus 2/3rds of a OEM ATF bottle to get it to level at temp. But I got side tracked with my neighbor who came over for a "friendly chat" while I was extremely busy with my car on jack stands. Oh well...

Last edited:

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
They do consider them lifetime like the tranny. I am getting the two diffs, transfer case, and tranny done on my q5 right now. It has 55k on it. It makes sense just to do them all at once. ZF recommends the tranny be done 60 - 90k.... on the lower end if the vehicle has towed.... mine has. I figure I'll just do them all at 55k intervals going forward. PIA... but cheap insurance....hahaha
Daemon64, Did you get the work done?
For the Q5 transfer case is a litre enough fluid for drain and fill ?
Is a litre for each differential enough fluid for a drain and fill?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
A1,

I am having my mechanic do the work.( I live in an apartment at the moment, and don't have a good space / setup to do this kinda work right now ) But I believe it was only 1 bottle for transfer case, and 1 for each diff. Then a ton for the tranny itself. But one of them uses a special fluid that the other two don't and its' EXPENSIVE per bottle like $90... I wish I could provide more insight but I don't know much about this one... my gig is brakes, suspension components, and such. They are finishing it up today. They were doing all my 034 motorsports parts first and doing the tranny stuff last.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
The Q5 8 speed took about 5.2 litres for the drain, pan drop and filter change. The F & R differentials a liter each and same for transfer case. For the transfer case I used the Ravenol 75w-140 GL-5, made in Germany.

eyyopomps

TDI
2014 Audi Q5, 1998 MK3 Jetta, 2010 MK6 Golf, 2000 Jetta TDI
Where does it state the ATF is lifetime? All I can find is first 35k then 40k thereafter?

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
The Q5 8 speed took about 5.2 litres for the drain, pan drop and filter change. The F & R differentials a liter each and same for transfer case. For the transfer case I used the Ravenol 75w-140 GL-5, made in Germany.

I had previously emailed ravenol about this, they said the recommendation for the 75w140 (SLS) was wrong. Now they offer a spec oil for center diff (AWD-TOR). The VW spec is a 75w90 gear oil + magic sauce

I would strongly recommend to use any GL5 75w90 or use the ravenol AWD-TOR. I have used both without any difference.