1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
I just barely tapped my 2001 Beetle's bumper to my other
VW in front - air bag light comes and stays on - I go to erase or clear
the fault found in the VagCom airbag section
and it says

"Airbag Controllers with the part number 6Q0-909-605-A
found in some model year 2000 and 2001s" - mines a 2001 Beetle -
may be incompatible with VagCom and it is possible to damage the
airbag controller simply by scanning it.

Where is the airbag located in a 2001 Beetle?
Does anyone know if the manufacture date can be used as a water shed date?

If I check for and try and clear faults in the airbag section will that possibly ruin my controller?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah don’t scan it, just see what faults are logged and try to clear it.
Post here what you find.
You have several air bags
Steering wheel
Drivers seat
Passenger dash
Passenger seat.
The controller is located to the right of the accelerator pedal behind the panel.

I have 2 - 2000 , 2 - 2001 and a 2003 . I’ve been able to see what faults I have and erase them with no issue.
I just fixed my 2001 golf that was showing an air bag light, when I checked with Vcds it was showing a high resistance in the air bag.
After I removed the steering wheel bag I found the wire harness that goes to the bag and the clock spring to be broken, replaced it , erased the code and all is well.......

Last edited:

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
Yes fault cleared just fine - I wasn't sure whether checking for faults was considered as scanning or not - its all good now!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Thanks for the follow up.