Need advice.

Daves TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta
1997 jetta TDI 1.9, I got it for $450 bucks because owner thought it needed another Turbo even though he replaced it with a new one at 94 k. Has 135k on it now. I know it is a new turbo because he gave me the box and the old unit. This is what he said happened. He was cruising at 70mph on highway coming up a hill and he heard a pop a loud whine then lost power but it still runs and drives ok. I drove it 10 miles home but did seem like it lacked some power. There is no excess smoke out exhaust.No overheating.

What I know so far,EGR has been deleted with kit, Glow plugs are hooked to a ford solenoid but do work with a push button. Has p1550 code and lope at idle but still runs smooth at 1k plus rpms and was like that before Turbo went.. I will be taking it to mechanic to get that fixed because owner said I.P needed adjustment.
As for the Turbo he said he took the intake tube off turbo and did the spin test. He said it was stiff to spin. I also took The intake tube off the Compressor side and spun it, It was stiff to turn. I also started it with tube off and looked at the turbo and it was not turning at idle.
So am I looking at putting a new turbo on? Can a guy with lots of mechanical experience rebuild the Turbo? Are those turbo cartridges any good? I have been working on cars for 48 years so have lots of experience.

Thanks for the help.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Although a POP! noise is indication that the turbo broke the shaft, if the compressor wheel is not hanging sideways in the housing, that' probably not it. Other POP! noises can be a boost pipe coming off. Check all the boost pipe connections.

The compressor shaft should be able to spin freely. Not knowing where or who he got the turbo from leaves me with some suspicion. The box give you any idea?

Rebuilding turbos requires no particular special tooling to get a CHRA in, but getting it right is another matter. There are a lotta guys that rebuild and a few that get it right. Without spinning the turbo up to operating speeds and correctly balancing the wheels, you end up with exploding parts. Personally, I'd rather have a known, quality turbo manufacturer put it together and I buy it brand new. If 1:20 blow up, I am upside down for the expense to repair. Profits for a good turbo are small enough without it blowing up.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dont bother with trying to rebuild one. You wont be able to ballance it.
Just go with a stock replacment unless you want something else.
Unless your willing to do a clutch job, leave it stock. It's got low miles. Drive it cheaply get it to 350k and call it a good investment.

Daves TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta
Although a POP! noise is indication that the turbo broke the shaft, if the compressor wheel is not hanging sideways in the housing, that' probably not it. Other POP! noises can be a boost pipe coming off. Check all the boost pipe connections.

The compressor shaft should be able to spin freely. Not knowing where or who he got the turbo from leaves me with some suspicion. The box give you any idea?

Rebuilding turbos requires no particular special tooling to get a CHRA in, but getting it right is another matter. There are a lotta guys that rebuild and a few that get it right. Without spinning the turbo up to operating speeds and correctly balancing the wheels, you end up with exploding parts. Personally, I'd rather have a known, quality turbo manufacturer put it together and I buy it brand new. If 1:20 blow up, I am upside down for the expense to repair. Profits for a good turbo are small enough without it blowing up.
Turbo Box says Stigan. Compressor side is very clean from what I can see. No play or wobble in shaft and does not move much when you pull and push on shaft. Excuse my ignorance but where is the boost pipe. This is my first Turbo car so it will be a learning experience for me.

I am taking it to a diesel mech tomorrow he use to work for a certified diesel shop. He now has his own place and charges $50 bucks an Hour, I am friends with his father. He has the Tech reader to hook up to test everything. He is also the one who put Tbelt and components on at 95k.

I also have a list of maintenance done since 2016 when last owner bought it from original owner who had it serviced at dealer all the time. Has new tires put on 500 miles ago. New front brakes and rotors,oil and fuel filter change at 130k. Owner also gave me 4 new oil filters shop manual and chilton. :)

Edit. Just went and checked vacuum lines and the one that goes from the top inter-cooler pipe up under some plastic on firewall Was broke close to nipple on pipe. I cut it off and replaced it but have not test drive it yet. What is this hose.

Last edited:

Daves TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta
Up date. I put that Vacuum line on the inter cooler pipe that broke off and took it for a run. Has lots of power now and when in neutral I can hear turbo spool when I hit fuel pedal. Now to get p1550 taken care of and put it on the road.:D:D

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Well, that was easy...

I don't know Stigan brand, but it is a reman co. There are several distributors that carry their turbos.

The company has a two-year warranty, so if it's something they can date, maybe it's still got a warranty, who knows? With the install kit, gaskets, nuts etc., it's a $775 turbo.

A good stock turbo in a TDI generally makes little, if any noise.

Daves TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta
Well, that was easy...

I don't know Stigan brand, but it is a reman co. There are several distributors that carry their turbos.

The company has a two-year warranty, so if it's something they can date, maybe it's still got a warranty, who knows? With the install kit, gaskets, nuts etc., it's a $775 turbo.

A good stock turbo in a TDI generally makes little, if any noise.
Only hear turbo at high rpms in neutral like 4000rpms. Took it on 50 mile trip today and it ran great. Also took it to Mech and his reader only came up with EGR which has delete kit so expected code and P1562. It lopes at idle and low RPMs.The electrical connector is clean with no corrosion so I guess its that internal part that needs cleaned.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I think I never seen AHU or 1Z form 97-98 turbo broke . They usually start leaking oil and N75 get oil in it , that is the time that you know you need to chnage it .

Daves TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta
No oil in N75. I had the lines off and did look for oil. Now I have noticed air coming in through clear intake Hose. Filter is getting changed so I will put new Oring on Mickey mouse to see if that stops it. Also going to do vac lines and Injector return tubes. I read a ton of threads on the air but most do not have conclusion on final fix.