Recommendations for Coilovers??

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
So I've done a tune, my EGR delete, DPF delete and some other general maintenance so now I'm looking into getting coilovers next and was wondering what you guys recommend?

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I'm in the same situation, and I've been looking into anything with a stainless body. Which i think has narrowed it down to KW's, or Koni's. Stainless should help a lot more if you drive it in the winter, and need to adjust it at a later date.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
So I've done a tune, my EGR delete, DPF delete and some other general maintenance so now I'm looking into getting coilovers next and was wondering what you guys recommend?
IMO it depends on what you wanna do with your car and how much you wanna spend... Just like what Rob came to the conclusion of is that if you want your coilovers to last a decent amount of time looking into KW and Koni coilovers.

I'm in the same situation, and I've been looking into anything with a stainless body. Which i think has narrowed it down to KW's, or Koni's. Stainless should help a lot more if you drive it in the winter, and need to adjust it at a later date.
I actually have both a 2004 Jetta with a set of Koni coilovers on it and a 2004 R32 with a TDI swap that came with a set of KW V3s. The difference being that I bought and paid for the Konis directly, where as the KWs came installed on the car when I bought it. Would I have bought brand new KW V3s at $1900 for a car...More than likely no, but it's awesome that they came with the car and I think they were $2300 back in the day when they would have been installed.

Like I mentioned above figure out what you're gonna use the car for and how much you wanna spend.

Here would be a good site for both of you to check out, since they carry quite a few different brands. https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Suspension/Coilovers/

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I do love the selection that ECS has, but their shipping costs into Kanada are a little pricey.

I am however super jealous of your R. It seems like it would be the perfect mixture of awd and torque. What are your opinions of the KWs vs the konis? Bilstein have also come onto my radar recently, but i haven't confirmed if they have a stainless housing.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Check out ST XTA coilovers... they're a subsidiary of KW.

You wind up with all the tech of a KW V2/3 in a cheaper package (due to galvanized parts rather than stainless).

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I do love the selection that ECS has, but their shipping costs into Kanada are a little pricey.

I am however super jealous of your R. It seems like it would be the perfect mixture of awd and torque. What are your opinions of the KWs vs the konis? Bilstein have also come onto my radar recently, but i haven't confirmed if they have a stainless housing.
Ah, I didn't see that you were in Canada. Then yeah it would probably be a good idea to find what you need on their site and then buy em elsewhere. I do know that IDparts usually has pretty good prices on shipping to Canada.

Thanks!:D Yeah, it's a super fun toy that just begs to be pushed. Like you mentioned, with all of torque that the engine is putting down you need AWD to take advantage of it in the first 3 gears, otherwise it would be a good idea to invest in your favorite tire manufacturer with how many sets of tires you're going to go through. Haha

To be honest it's hard to compare the 2 sets of coilovers, since one set cost $1,000(Koni) and the other set cost twice that at $2,000(KW V3). I will say that I think a lot of how a set of coilovers works is how you set them up. The Konis are setup at the top of their adjustment, so they ride fantastic both on the street and even did a good job when the Jetta got used out on the track.

I don't have as many miles on the RTDI on the street, but from the miles that I do have, I will say that it rides quite well too. I also have to factor in that the RTDI has upgraded motor mounts, solid subframe bushings, tubular control arms, and a half a roll cage that stiffens the car up. I will say that out of all the people that have driven it, I haven't heard a single complaint that the car rides too rough. Out on the track is where I believe it's worth it to have the more expensive coilovers on the RTDI, since the car just flat out handles head and shoulders above the Jetta and yes some of that is due to the IRS that's on the RTDI compared to the solid beam of the Jetta. Otherwise both cars have front and rear sway bars, upgraded brakes, engine upgrades(maybe a few more on the RTDI:p), they even run the same set of tires and wheels, etc.

In the end as long as you don't buy coilovers and then proceed to slam the car to the ground, most sets of decent coilovers will perform beautifully compared to your mushy stock suspension. Also make sure that you get an alignment done after you get your coilovers installed.;)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I did I ended up going with KW v3 and I've had them on my car for a little over a month now and love them
That's great to hear that you ended up getting a set. There's something to be said about aftermarket suspension when you're driving the car and it just floats over every bump and crack.

You have any pictures of your new stance?

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
That's great to hear that you ended up getting a set. There's something to be said about aftermarket suspension when you're driving the car and it just floats over every bump and crack.

You have any pictures of your new stance?
Oh yeah it's my little dream slowly coming true lol. No I havent, I only got the first picture I took of it when I got the car but new pictures will come hopefully soon

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yeah it's my little dream slowly coming true lol. No I havent, I only got the first picture I took of it when I got the car but new pictures will come hopefully soon
What other things are you wanting to do to the car? Definitely post up some pics when you get a chance.
Otherwise you could start a thread in the Jetta/Bora/Vento Picture gallery to document the progress of your car and let others follow along as you upgrade your car.

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
What other things are you wanting to do to the car? Definitely post up some pics when you get a chance.
Otherwise you could start a thread in the Jetta/Bora/Vento Picture gallery to document the progress of your car and let others follow along as you upgrade your car.
Well probably get some nicer rims for it but in the long run probably bigger turbo, fuel injectors, fuel pump. Yeah when I get the chance I will