uneven tire wear

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
My 2000 Jetta TDI passenger side front tire is wearing on the outside. Also, my car is pulling to the right while driving.

I have taken to get it aligned twice at a local shop here in town. They say it is good. I replaced the struts, ball joints and all tie rods before having it aligned. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

How do I adjust the camber on this vehicle? Thank you.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What does "good" mean? Did they give you a report? You may have non-adjustable measures out of alignment that they disregarded because they can't adjust them. But they may point out damaged or worn parts.

Camber is not adjustable. It can be equalized left to right by shifting the engine cradle. Some alignment shops won't do that.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Where did you get it aligned? The specific shop makes a huge difference.
I always ask for them not to compensate for the curvicture of the road because it always makes it pull.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
Yes. They gave me a report. It showed the following:

Front Wheels:

Front Wheels Total Toe: 0.05

Toe:

Driver side: 0.05
Passanger: -0.05

Camber:

DS: -0.65
PS: -0.50

Caster:

DS: 5.8
PS:6.1

Rear Wheels

Toe:

DS: -0.25
PS: 0.20

Camber:

DS: -1.40
PS: -1.60

Rear Wheels Total Toe: -0.10

Any thoughts on what this means? I do not understand these settings. As I said, the car is pulling to the right and causing uneven wear on the outside of the FRONT passanger tire. Thank you.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Toe should be zero or slightly negative. And equal side to side. Not sure why they didn't do that. Camber and caster, and the rear, look OK. I think the right rear camber is probably a little out of spec, but that's typical on these cars.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Swap the worn tire from left to the right side and see if it pulls the other way.
Also, if this is a high mileage car, then the rear axle bushings could be shot and allowing the axle to skew and the car is driven. That may not show up in a static alignment situation unless they try pushing it around. Same with the front axle's rear control arm bushings. These can get quite torn up and they will change position as power is applied...or a crosswind is encountered.