40K mile service...

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
I was just quoted $500-700+ for the 40K service on my 2015 Passat, this seem a little high, my understanding is that it is just a bunch of checks plus air filters, cabin filters, fuel filters, oil/oil filter and DSG oil/oil filter replacement... I been doing my routine maintenance on another TDI (2006 Jetta BRM)manual stick, how much more complicated is to do the Passat? and please help me with any links to the DSG service for my Passat, I think I can buy a service kit for under $200 and DYI it... any special tools and any electronics needed in order to perform this service?:confused:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are lots of write ups on DSG servicing here, just do a search. That car still uses the same basic 02E DSG as the other transverse VAG products, been the same since 2004. The filter is under the battery tray. There is a special fill tool, but if you are patient you can fill it from the top.

Oil filter is underneath, I move a harness stay and harness out of the way, to make less of a mess.

40k should be:

oil change

tire rotation

cabin filter

fuel filter

DSG service

reset SRI

clean/lube sunroof slides and drains (if equipped)

reset TPMS

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Here:

https://www.idparts.com/index.php
https://www.idparts.com/vw-audi-dsg-service-tool-kit-vas6262-p-5112.html

THIS IS A GREAT SOURCE FOR TDI service products/tools you'll need at every mileage service point.

I like how they break down exactly what you need. From the 507.00 spec oil, to a choice in filter brands, even a choice in 2 different in-cabin AC system air filters. (Standard charcoal or Allergen-free filter).

FIRST-- Be sure you pre-load the search bar at the top of their website with your car's year, make and model as they sell kits specifically for the VW TDI, otherwise you'll have to wade through pages of stuff that wont make much sense at first.

If you're not already aware the DSG needs a special tool to remove the 2 (TWO) drains located pretty much one inside the other. You'll also need a special "Bottom fill" system for the DSG oil. I selected a funnel system that has the needed tools. See link above. But you can upgrade to a pressurized system that makes it go faster.

Watch Youtube, it has some great "how to" videos on DSG fluid and filter changes.

I have just ordered the 40k kit and added the DSG fluid change tool. They have a video on how to do it, so I'd suggest watching that too.

With 4 2015 TDI's, I've decided to start doing the "easy" maintenance myself and I'll take it in for the Timing Belt service at 100k.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you're not already aware the DSG needs a special tool to remove the 2 (TWO) drains located pretty much one inside the other. You'll also need a special "Bottom fill" system for the DSG oil. I selected a funnel system that has the needed tools. See link above. But you can upgrade to a pressurized system that makes it go faster.

special tool to remove the drain plug and standpipe? umm isn't it just like an 14?-18?mm Allen socket? I did have to make a trip to Harbor China Freight as my Allen set didn't go big enough, wouldn't really call that "special".

Also with the fill from top method you don't need the jug/hose adapter, just a funnel to fill from the filter.

Biggest thing I can recommend is warming up that DSG fluid, leave it in your car on a nice sunny day, it'll help flow better regardless if you fill from bottom or from top.

Also if you do the drain, over fill then drain method, you'll need the DSG fluid at a certain temp, if you just perform the maintenance on a warm car, the fluid will be 90% to the temp after 5 min of starting the car back up, no need to read the temp via the ODB port.

I've just done the drain, measure, refill the measured amount and have had good results.

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
To itsmejerry: my ckra 2104 Passat timing .belt interval is 130k miles, check yours. The Passat TB job is easier than a Jetta PD. John

oilhammer

TDI
To itsmejerry: my ckra 2104 Passat timing .belt interval is 130k miles, check yours. The Passat TB job is easier than a Jetta PD. John
Which PD Jetta? Because the BRM is about the easiest timing belt of any TDI sold here ever. Certainly easier than any of the CR cars, even the CKRA.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think my dealer charges me bout $500 for it. $300 for dsg and rest is around $150. After taxes it’s around $500. When I get home I’ll look at what exactly it cost me.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Below find the link to the thread on my DIY service on the DSG. The rest of the 40K, by comparison, was a piece of cake on our 2013.

NOTE:The following DSG service incorporates the "measure and refill" method, NOT the VW "official" method.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457823

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Oilhammer: easier than the Jetta BRM TB, no motor mount and engine supporting (not they are that difficult). Les steps=less time.

oilhammer

TDI
Oilhammer: easier than the Jetta BRM TB, no motor mount and engine supporting (not they are that difficult). Les steps=less time.

Huh????

The published time for the CKRA timing belt is 4.6

The published time for the BRM timing belt is 3.8

Additional time for the water pump is about the same for both.

The A5's two piece fender liner makes that part MUCH easier than the NCS and NMS. The belt itself is MUCH easier...a belt, a roller, a tensioner.... vs. a belt, THREE rollers, a tensioner, another thing to time and pin (the HPFP), and those three screws. The CR engines also have that lower oil pan shield I take off as to not soak them with coolant when the water pump comes loose.... that takes a few extra minutes, too.

I could probably do 2 BRM belt jobs in the time it takes me to do the CKRA... for sure 2 for the time involved on the CBEA/CJAA due to their silly extra electric fuel pump and all its convoluted nonsense in the way, LOL.

None of them are "hard", though, and none of them require a bunch of other stuff taken loose.... 2001-2005 1.7L Civics come to mind. Have to take the PS pump OFF, the alternator OFF, then the alternator bracket has to come off, in addition to the valve cover which on those cars is strategically buried under an engine harness and the air cleaner bracket.... and the bracket of course requires the air cleaner and the air inlet noise suppressor (itself a big plastic box taking up the entire area above the transmission) all has to come off. Ridiculous.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
so what your saying if I found my 2001 civic rather easy im good to go on the NMS when I hit 130k ;)