Parted with my 96 B4V after 12 years

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There is no lack of interest in my locale. I'm still getting A4s and A5 BRM cars here after they have changed hand yet another time. Almost all are in the 200K + catagory.

Some of the owners are commuters but a lot of the owners just love the diesel format for the thrill of the ride.
I took this photo at Kirk Blackmore's GTG near Grand Rapids last year.

I was stunned by the number of A4s still up and running, in the rust belt no less. I still drive mine daily, but I thought I was in the minority.

However, I rarely see any B4 on the road anymore, much less a TDI.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Yup.
A number of A4 cars have crappy collision work done to them and the owners don't care all that much. They buy them that way and motor on looking to get another 100K after fixing them.

The A3/B4 cars...the owner needs to be warned that they don't have much body metal holding the axles in place.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I took delivery of a 2018 Chevy Volt on 8/11/18. This morning I received a diagnostic report from OnStar. Thought some may find it interesting:

ENERGY EFFICIENCY
Fuel Economy:
-- mpg
Electric Consumption:
33 kW-hr/100 miles
Electric Miles:
Gas Miles:
Total Miles:
Percentage on Electric:
66 %
Estimated Gallons of Fuel Saved:
-- gal
Estimated CO2 Avoided:
-- lbs
Data is based on total miles driven since last email report.
Get more detail
REQUIRED MAINTENANCE

Vehicle Maintenance
No oil change due at this time.

Remaining Oil Life: 92%
Mileage: 2,648

View maintenance summary

Learn about oil life

Tire Pressure: Low (Add Air)
One or more tires are low and need air. Inflate them to the recommended tire pressure listed below as soon as possible.
Properly inflated tires can improve your fuel economy, vehicle performance, and tire life.
Recommended tire pressure:
Front: 36psi | Rear: 36psi

Left Front:
Low,32psi

Left Rear:
Low,32psi

Right Front:
Low,33psi

Right Rear:
Low,33psi

Learn about tire pressure

Recalls and Programs
To check for recalls and programs on your GM vehicle, click here.

Odometer-Based Maintenance Items
Based on your current mileage, no items on the additional maintenance list are due at this time.

Warranty Tracker
Your warranty coverage is current and active.

Following up with some cost data and MPG data.

Gas used in 876 miles = 22.197 gal. MPG = 39.46479

Gas cost = $75.09 or $3.3839 per gallon (Hey, I live in California)

Gas cost per mile = $.0857

Electric miles = 1728

KW used for 1728 miles @ 33/100 miles = 570.4 KW

Cost under current EV rate plan for 1728 miles = $89.02

Cost per electric mile = $.05152

Average fuel cost for 2604 miles = ($89.02 + $75.09) = $164.11

Average total fuel cost/mile for 2604 = $.063

Not trying to "convert" anyone. Just my first batch of cost to operate. Thought some of you may find it interesting.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Definitely better mileage than I get....

About 5 years back another forum member dropped some parts off and we went to lunch. His company car was a gas Cruze and I was amazed at the mileage. He was in the 40s/gal.

Maybe it’s time I go back to gas....

-Todd

floater62

TDI
96’ B4V .RIP “Stella” 1997 Windsor blue B4
There are some great new cars out there. And like the original post says so many cars and too little time for all the projects possible! Just something about the B4 cars that do it for me. I was gutted when a Chevy trailblazer rear ended and totaled my 96 sedan in April. . Offered it up here. Glad there were no takers. It had 146k and lots of $$$ into it to get it just perfect. I found a B4V with a blown motor for sale a few weeks ago. Finally! What insurance gave me for mine was very little just enough for the wagon and blown motor. The B4V threw The timing belt,valve dropped,stopped the motor so fast it snapped the crank off at the crank pulley. Bought the sedan back from insurance. Put the trans and motor from the sedan into the wagon. Definitely worthwhile. I have been so happy having a B4 again. Just smiles all morning driving on twisty hilly backroads. Even had some waves from MK3 drivers. It does have some issues but overall it is a good start. I’m stripping parts off the sedan tomorrow. You guys talk about hard to find/NLA parts. What are the must have ones from the wrecked car before it goes to the scrapyard? Pulling lots of parts off of it like ECU/cluster/interior,etc. The Wagon is definitely louder than the sedan, but I really like how it handles!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's pretty interesting. I looked on Fuelly and my TDIs average about $.07/mile. We could get into a long discussion about depreciation, insurance costs, repairs and maintenance, etc., but I think it's pretty clear that the Volt does well. Nice.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I'm no electric car whiz, but I think the car will be skewing the KWH consumption in favor of the car. It's likely recording the energy put into it, which ignores the loses of the charger.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I have a 8.4kw solar system installed - I have some excess and occasionally wonder if it’s time to try going electric. Too many other fun cars for now I guess. And I do love my diesels. :)

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
I've had a B4V since 1999... the first, a silk blue non-sunroof model was wrecked in about 2003... I bought my current white B4V with sunroof from a dealer in FL, sight unseen with 104K on it in 2004. i still use it as my DD, has about 253K on it now... I have other cars to drive in the winter, or when the wagon is down. I expect to keep it going for a quite a lot longer, and am stockpiling the crappy plastic parts the break often.

I've been putting together a 97 B4 sedan for my son to use in college... (many of you are helping to get it on the road with your help... THANKS!!)

regards,
Steve