2015 GSW floor mats

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I like the OE all-weather Monster mats aesthetically with the TDI logo and curved ribbing, but I have no reference for aftermarket mat comparison.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Weather Tech makes a set of custom molded mats that are really nice. I got their rear cargo liner from idparts and will be getting fronts when the Monster Mats that came with the wagon wear out.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Also OE here, but the WeatherTech ones for our years I'm told work well too. Have not seen in person to confirm but hoping others can share opinions.

hillmatic

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Yes those are the correct stock ones. I really like them but will prob switch to the weathertech floor liners once they wear out like everyone else has said. Have the weathertech floorliners in my dads 15 passat and they came in handy when we spilled his diet pop on the floor. Simply pulled the liner, dumper it out, sprayed it off, and done.

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)
I just installed the Weathertech's in my 15 GSW - pricey, but nothing else fits as perfectly and protects as well. I've put them in every vehicle I've owned over the last 10 years or so. It's the Weathertech floor liners.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Had the OE Monster in my MKVI (6-spd) and wore a hole in them from my heel. We'll see if it also happens in my MKVII (DSG)... it's already showing signs of wear :mad:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have weathertechs on the mk7, had monstesr mats on the mk5.

If monster mats were free on the Mk7, I wouldn't have spend the extra on the weathertechs, they do cover more, but still have some gaps by the dead pedal and go pedal that allow stuff to fall behind.

I have seen another company TUXMAT that offers some options that compete with weathertech, no experience with them though.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The OE’s are fine if you’re not a slob, coal-miner, or duck hunter. If so, look into WeatherTechs or HuskyLiners. They have more coverage at the perimeter, to include a pool effect to retain mass quantities of fluid/muck.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I like the Weathertechs for my front seats and rear cargo area but don’t like them for the rear seat area. The top edges (towards the rear of the car) fold down instead of staying upright, so dirt., sand, etc doesn’t totally get captured by the mat. Plus, it looks sloppy.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The OE’s are fine if you’re not a slob, coal-miner, or duck hunter. If so, look into WeatherTechs or HuskyLiners. They have more coverage at the perimeter, to include a pool effect to retain mass quantities of fluid/muck.
To be fair with the amount of snow events we get up here in NE, the amount of slush, sand, salt and much that is tracked into a car on a daily basis can add up pretty quickly (it is hard to fathom how much salt we are subjected to around here). I am pretty careful, but find the Monster Mats have trouble containing the mess when we have a run of bad winter weather.

I like the look, fit and feel of the OE Monster Mats the best.

The weathertechs definitely do a better job protecting the carpets and fit great too. The big downside to me that hasn't been mentioned is that they are hard plastic. I find that they can be slippery and overall I find that they just feel cheaper than the rubber OE mats. Its kind of like being in a work truck with the wash down floor. Just my opinion.

We run the OE mats and I have weathertechs in my truck because its older and I couldn't find an OE winter mat for it. I kind of wish we had the weathertechs in the T-Reg this winter because the carpet got pretty filthed up around the edges of the mats.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The weathertechs definitely do a better job protecting the carpets and fit great too. The big downside to me that hasn't been mentioned is that they are hard plastic.
This is exactly why I prefer my Findways. They are a soft microfiber type carpet that is much nicer underfoot.

Well that, and they are 1/3 the cost.

I kind of wish we had the weathertechs in the T-Reg this winter because the carpet got pretty filthed up around the edges of the mats.
They make the for the T-Reg.

https://www.findway.ca/f518-style-3d-car-floor-liners/volkswagen/touareg/2014/52020b

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
For (her) 2015 GSW, I decided to go with the floor mat kit from Findway. I was a fan of the old Monster Mats (the newer ones, less so), but they allow a lot of snow and debris to get past the edges. The only thing I like about the Weathertech (for a non work-truck) is the fit. The Findway were the only mats I could find that mimicked the old VW-branded moulded, carpeted floor mats for the Mk IV. Rubber on the bottom, carpet on top, and fit nearly perfectly, without allowing uncovered areas like the Monster Mats. The price is a bonus.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
This is exactly why I prefer my Findways. They are a soft microfiber type carpet that is much nicer underfoot.

Well that, and they are 1/3 the cost.

They make the for the T-Reg.

https://www.findway.ca/f518-style-3d-car-floor-liners/volkswagen/touareg/2014/52020b
WOW! I've never heard of these or seen them before. I like that they cover the center bump in the rear seat as well (because kids). What a tremendous value. Even more so with current conversion rates. Thank you for sharing.

How do these clean up from the sand, salt, mud?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Worked a heel hole into my OEM Monster Mats in under 15k miles of driving. My MKIV Monster Mats still looked brand new after nearly 100k miles. They sure don't make them like the used to...

That said, is Weather Tech still the preferred option on the MKVII GSW?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Worked a heel hole into my OEM Monster Mats in under 15k miles of driving. My MKIV Monster Mats still looked brand new after nearly 100k miles. They sure don't make them like the used to...

That said, is Weather Tech still the preferred option on the MKVII GSW?
I have had WeatherTechs on several models of car, but not a Mk7. Here’s my take on their pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Best custom fit of any mat/protector
2. Much better coverage area than monster mats
3. Liquid is contained inside the bowl of the mat
4. Thinner, but very durable - you will not wear a hole or divot in them

Cons:
1. Doesn’t have a soft/rubbery feel like Monster mats
2. Can get squeaky with wet shoes, never bothered me
3. They scuff up a little over time
4. Hope you like the big WeatherTech logo

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)
I've never had a problem yet with Weathertechs in any of my cars - had over 100k miles on my MkV Weathertech mats. The last set of VW Monster Mats that I had wore out way too quickly as well.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had WeatherTechs on several models of car, but not a Mk7. Here’s my take on their pros and cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Great summary. I would add that they can also be slippery. I haven't noticed squeaky. I have a set in the front of my JSW and I have a full set in my Tundra.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
also its kinda tough to keep them looking clean, not that they need to be sparkly but fine dust gets stuck to the grooves easily and it takes some good scrubbing to make them look new again, but thats kinda like splitting hairs.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great summary. I would add that they can also be slippery. I haven't noticed squeaky. I have a set in the front of my JSW and I have a full set in my Tundra.
I could very well be misremembering. I’ll walk back that comment on “squeaky” and leave that report to people who are using them currently. It’s been a couple of years.

I do strongly endorse WeatherTechs though, so much so that I’m ordering a full set for the 335d I just bought. It still has the stock carpet mats.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW

Pros:

Cons:
Thanks for the feedback!

I must say the WeatherTech logo versus the nice TDI logo is what makes the decision hardest. Bought the car new with mats in it so thinking about having the dealer replace under warranty as long as possible.