Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
[B......However, I like the JSW space and driving feel. The fuel economy of the TSI is not that bad....[/B]
Sure agree with 66 1/2 cubic feet of GSW space. Have yet to drive one..............................................................prefer 5M (rare).

Looking at VW Vortex and Fuelly.com, some of the reported fuel numbers would seem quite impressive. In Fuelly's "Best MPG" box quite a few 40's were seen.

ez

MKVI_TDI

TDI
2012 MKVI Golf
I just test drove a 2016 GTI performance package model today and I must say I loved it. I can definitely see myself trading the TDI for a GTI.

cracklepop

TDI
2009 Jetta sedan, manual trans.
I purchased my 09 Jetta in May of 2015, with a manual transmission. First thing I did was change the timing belt, water pump, etc... and I never looked back, loving the car. I was looking into the Malone, dpf delete, 2microns set up then, dieselgate hit. I thot I'll wait for a fix. Now, more than likely there won't be a fix for my Gen 1 especially here in CARB occupied californistan. I'm looking at pre-2002 4x4 diesel trucks. I like the dodges with the Cummins but the 7.9 Ford with the International diesel are bulletproof as well. I don't know but, I'm pretty upset to have to give up my Jetta.

velostuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I just bought a 2016 GSW SEL Gasser

I looked hard at Audi Allroad and BMW 328 wagon. I ended up buying a 2016 Golf Sportwagen in the SEL trim with the lighting package and the Driver Assist pkg.

These are almost impossible to find, specially in Silver or Gray.

The Audi is too expensive (would have had to buy used) and the BMW has a stigma in my opinion.

I read a post that suggested that diesel emissions systems are just too complicated, and after reading thousands of posts regarding this, I have come to the conclusion that, indeed, diesel emissions systems are too complicated for their own good, so I decided that a gasser is sadly the only way to go right now.

The GSW TSI SEL is incredible. It will take me months to discover all of the features. I will miss striving for 45+ mpg, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited:

massivslinky

TDI
Jetta TDI 2015
Next Car

Golf R. If I'm going to lose MPG, I'm going to have fun doing it. Already have a 2005 WRX/STi tuned. Plan to keep this one stock and get a DSG for a more civilized daily driver. Can have a track toy and a nice daily driver.

TerryTDI

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I've driven 2 Jetta TDIs over the last 15 years. A couple months ago I traded in my 2006 Jetta TDI for a 2016 Toyota Prius with advanced tech package and love it. I'm getting 54 mpg on average and I love the way it drives. VW has lost all credibility with me with their emissions fraud. I'll never buy one again.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Not a recipient of buyback but I sold my 01 Golf TDI with 185K miles
Car needed too many little fixes , fender , window seals , muffler , interior trim pieces etc...

Bought a 2016 Corolla S and just picked a 2016 Golf S TSI

Kept the 04 Golf with 415K . It needs nothing but tires and oil changes after I changed cam and turbo last summer . Might as well drive it till it dies

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I've driven 2 Jetta TDIs over the last 15 years. A couple months ago I traded in my 2006 Jetta TDI for a 2016 Toyota Prius with advanced tech package and love it. I'm getting 54 mpg on average and I love the way it drives. VW has lost all credibility with me with their emissions fraud. I'll never buy one again.
My condolences

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
If they buy it back, great. I already sold my 944 so I'd probably buy an MR2. Pocket the difference.

Maybe look at a 1Z Passat with the 22 gallon tank.

jsf350

TDI
13 jetta tdi
i love this car.... and will miss the mpg but i think im gonna find a cheap car i can pay cash for ... and drive the **** outta it
gas is cheap now.... so who cares

im not happy with the trade in value... we all know when selling these cars we didnt pay trade in value nor was anyone paying trade in value in a private party situation

i will see what they try to knock off for me having 79000 miles on my 2013

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
i love this car.... and will miss the mpg but i think im gonna find a cheap car i can pay cash for ... and drive the **** outta it
gas is cheap now.... so who cares
This is what I did. I picked up a 2002 Subaru Forester that needed some work. I'll do the work while the details of the buyback are being ironed out. By the time I drop off my JSW, I should have a cheap car that doesn't need any more parts or work for awhile (I hope).

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
My replacement is a 2008 Pontiac Torrent.

Why, because it is paid for.

I love my Jetta, however I will never get as much for it as I will with the buyback. And frankly I can use the money to get out of debt. Wife and have had several surgeries this year and we need to pay them off.
High deductibles suck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Depending on the deal possibly a 16 jetta with the 1.4 doesnt sound all to bad for the price around here.
Check the dealers in DC. I scoped from NYC to DC and everywhere in between while buying my GTI and found the DC dealers to consistently be ~$2000 less than other metro areas. I don't know the reason why, but that's what I found.

tedcousens

TDI
2012 Jetta
Audi e-tron, BMW 328d, Volvo S60, Toyota Prius Prime, would consider a Hyundai Ioniq depending on reviews when it comes out. VWQ e-golf - if they extend the range for 2017 like they said they would...and of course, the Tesla 3 when it comes out.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I've been test driving everything out there, trying to figure out what my next vehicle will be. So far, I think the Sonata Hybrid Limit with Ultimate Package is at the top of the list. Yesterday, I found a new 2015 Mercedes E-250 Bluetec, sticker just over $60k, $10k off and I can negotiate a bit more off, but I can't wrap my head around sinking $50k into a car. I'm not into status so I want what's best for me, not for what I want someone else to think of me as. BUT, it was a nice Mercedes! I also drove the new Mazda CX9 - what a nice vehicle, but a bit larger than I need, plus getting 20-24 mpg sucks. I drove the CX5 - also nice, just a bit too small - need something in between the CX5 and CX9. Today I test drove the new Prius, very nice solid feelling drive and greatly improved over previous gen, but disappointed they made it a bit smaller in the back seat. Also drove the RAV4 Hybrid - it did nothing for me. I'm getting the sinking feeling that I won't like any car as much as I do my Passat. I love the way it drives, the drivers seat is so comfortable, and it feels just right in how it handles, etc. I may just end up with a new Passat TSI. Every previous car I've owned, when after test driving a new car, it was disappointing to get back into my old car, but it felt old and worn, even after only 40-50k miles. But not my Passat. Even after 50k miles, it stills feels as solid and nimble and agile as the day I bought it new. Even the brakes feels solid. No shakes, shimmies, rattles, or weird noises, nothing. The only thing bothering me is the A/C is getting finicky - I think it's the AUTO function not working properly. Sometimes it won't cool the car, but if turn on and off the AUTO button a couple times, it comes on and works fine. But I can't afford NOT to do the buyback since it will basically pay for most of my next car.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I'd like a pickup truck, but I'm toying with getting a Ford Transit Connect or Ram ProMaster City.

Neither of those would give me the open bed or ride height that I want, but they'd save me a chunk of money on the front end (they're cheap), as well as for operating costs (the fuel economy would be much better with one of these little vans), but still provide a good cargo capacity.

I know that I'd be happy with a truck long-term, but I don't know about one of these little vans. I need to go test drive one (I haven't driven anything yet), but I'm dreading dealing with that process.

My replacement is a 2008 Pontiac Torrent.

Why, because it is paid for.
I love my Jetta, however I will never get as much for it as I will with the buyback. And frankly I can use the money to get out of debt. Wife and have had several surgeries this year and we need to pay them off.
High deductibles suck.
The GF has a 2006 Torrent. It may not be flashy, but it's a good/reliable vehicle. In the three years that I've known her...she's spent about $100 on repairs (not including standard maintenance items like brakes, fluid changes, etc.)...on a 11 model year old 180k+ vehicle. Granted keeping it to $100 was my doing (I did two small jobs that the dealer would have charged her $500+/each on), but regardless...it's been a great vehicle for her (she got it new).

For that reason, I was toying with the idea of a Chevy Equinox (same thing)...if for no other reason than the reliability.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
The Torrent was my parents car. My mom passed away and my dad can no longer drive. We normally drive it when we pick him up and take him out. He still thinks of it as "his" car and always asks if it needs an oil change, etc. He bought it new and it has been reliable. Only has 80k on it. It has a little bit of rust, but no holes.

I did the brakes because the rotors were rusted bad. It was a Michigan car until last fall. In NC cars don't rust much.

Should last a good long time.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I was assuming that I'd be keeping mine and doing the fix, but when I saw the buyback amount I changed my mind.

I've just started looking, but I'm thinking about a Honda Pilot, probably the 2WD Touring version. The Elite is really nice, but a smidge out of my price range, so unless a dealer offers one pretty close to invoice* then it's not a realistic option.

* Yes, I know that's basically a made-up number, but in this case it represents the approximate max of what I'm willing to spend on a replacement vehicle.

105Uphill

Veteran Member
TDI
98 & 99.5 Jettas Black
As of right now I am selling my '13 Jetta back. I will most likely take over my wife's '13 CC so she can get the Subaru she loves and misses.

tejastommy

TDI
2013 Jetta DSG
Kia Optima turbo
Mazda i6 touring.. road noise be a factor
My upside is limited so Infinity, Audi, BMW, ETC. Is a stretch even though I like several models.
I have a $500 dealer card for sale. $450. PM me

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
So while pondering a larger family size (4 now), we came to the conclusion that we will trade it in, since we will be roughly +$7000 over what we bought it for.

List so far is (all 2016, all AWD)
Mazda CX-9
Kia Sorento
Hyundai Sante Fe
Ford Flex
Honda Pilot
Ford Transit 8-12-15 passenger with ecoboost or powerstroke

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Was told by a service tech at my dealer today that VW Corp will send someone specifically for the buyback, give them an office at the dealership, and I'll meet with them directly - dealer is completely out of it. Anyone hear anything different?

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
Was told by a service tech at my dealer today that VW Corp will send someone specifically for the buyback, give them an office at the dealership, and I'll meet with them directly - dealer is completely out of it. Anyone hear anything different?
I've seen similar statements on the forums here. Seems likely. Do you think VW really wants to give Jimbob at the local VW/Audi/Ford/Kia/Gator dealer a chance to muck this up and drive away customers forever?

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
Although I love my TDI and planned on driving it till the wheels fell off, I do not want a neutered or hacked up car after the fix, and the buyback offer is tempting. I also will never be buying another VW again as I simply cannot support a company with such blatant disregard for ethics, rules, regulations and requirements. They deceived their customers, and government agencies. Although I don't necessarily agree with the EPA and CARB regulations, nonetheless they are there. I don't think a car should be scrubbing the atmosphere as it's driving down the road where the exhaust is now cleaner than the air entering the engine, but that seems to be the way they are going. I won't be buying any Japanese econobox either as I've really enjoyed the torque of the TDI so I think some type of performance car is in my future.