Has anyone found a fuel can to fit in the rear "cubby hole"?

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
On my JSW in the drivers side rear there is a "cubby hole".

I'm thinking of putting a spare fuel container in the cubbyhole.

I've been storing a big bottle of PS white there, it was a convenient fit. So I'm good to treat about 250 gallons, or go up to 10,000 miles (which is a long trip even for me). And now PS is available in a concentrated 1 gallon jug to treat 1,000 gallons of fuel, so I could go up to 40,000 miles. (Note I also have a Ford 7.3L Diesel and a diesel tractor, so the PS gets passed around.)

I started thinking (dangerous) - "Why not fill up a smaller container with PS and store fuel in the cubbyhole?" Several times I've gotten low on fuel and not found a good fuel stop, resulting in anxst.

Now 80oz of backup is fair, but if I could find a 1 or 2 gallon container that filled the hole that would be better.

So has anyone found such a beast?

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Thanks!
1.65x45=74.5 miles.
For me that would be worth it.
Is it a material approved for storing fuel?
if so - what is it? where can I get one??

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Thanks!
1.65x45=74.5 miles.
For me that would be worth it.
Is it a material approved for storing fuel?
if so - what is it? where can I get one??
I got it from a friend that owns a restuarant. I think peanut oil came in it??? Its really not ridgid enough to use for fuel. The cover on the cubby hole is quite flimsy.

dweisel

PoundSand

TDI
none
I got it from a friend that owns a restuarant. I think peanut oil came in it??? Its really not ridgid enough to use for fuel. The cover on the cubby hole is quite flimsy.
A lot of off-road motorcyclists use the bladder that comes in a starbucks box o' coffee to go (2.5L if I recall) for emergency / reserve fuel storage... Use at your own risk. :D

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
On my JSW in the drivers side rear there is a "cubby hole".

I'm thinking of putting a spare fuel container in the cubbyhole.

I've been storing a big bottle of PS white there, it was a convenient fit. So I'm good to treat about 250 gallons, or go up to 10,000 miles (which is a long trip even for me). And now PS is available in a concentrated 1 gallon jug to treat 1,000 gallons of fuel, so I could go up to 40,000 miles. (Note I also have a Ford 7.3L Diesel and a diesel tractor, so the PS gets passed around.)

I started thinking (dangerous) - "Why not fill up a smaller container with PS and store fuel in the cubbyhole?" Several times I've gotten low on fuel and not found a good fuel stop, resulting in anxst.

Now 80oz of backup is fair, but if I could find a 1 or 2 gallon container that filled the hole that would be better.

So has anyone found such a beast?
Help a fellow out, What is PS White?
Why do you, or I want it?

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Help a fellow out, What is PS White?
Why do you, or I want it?
Power Service diesel additive... White bottle is winter blend, grey bottle is summer blend, red bottle is emergency mix if you have a fuel tank full of wax... :p

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
I would make one from cardboard and hot glue, and keep adjusting it until it fits perfect and takes up all the space possible. Then, I would transfer all the component shapes to aluminum and weld them together. I would add a filler and vent hole, probably with pipe threads in a thicker section or use aluminum pipe couplers welded in, with pipe plugs.
If you don't work with metal, fiberglass and epoxy resin (not polyester...) will work very well also. Make the form from anything you want, foam, cardbord, papermache! Probably would want a female form (wouldn't we all!) to work with, as then you don't have the mold locked up in your container.
This can come out really well.
I have done things like this many times.....