Hard starting 1Z

JAMTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Been having a problem with starting one of my Passats 1st thing in the AM or after the car's been sitting for many hours. It starts but smokes a lot and runs on what seems to be 3 cylinders but pretty quickly comes up to 4 cylinders with a little throttle application. The colder it is outside, the worse the car smokes and longer it runs on 3. My initial thought would have been glow plugs but the car does it even when its warmer outside, like maybe 50-60F. BTW, the smoke it mostly white with a slight blue tint. I will also get smoke when the car has just been started and is decending a hill and with slight throttle application. It also seems to hesitate a bit in this situation.
Does this sound like tired injectors? Is there something else I should check? FYI, the car runs great when its outside of the 1st maybe 2 minutes of running. Its got lots of power, in fact, more power than our Upsolute chipped Passat. Its got 190k miles and I have no idea if the injectors have ever been changed.

tdimatt

Veteran Member
TDI
none for now
My '96 B4 smokes a lot every cold morning upon start up. I have very little to no smoke once I get going. I've attributed it to a BK ECU and the 5th injector.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
It could be injectors. However, it sounds like a slight air leak somewhere. Fuel system partly loses prime due to the air leak.

Check the IP seals carefully, and see if you have a little leak somewhere. Especially around the pump head. Might not be dripping, just damp on the bottom.

It could also be the thermostatic T allowing a bit of air into the system.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I don't recall seeing how many miles on this beast? If 150K-ish (miles) it's about time for new nozzles. I could imagine one causing similar problems to what you are describing. I can also imagine retarded IP timing could cause them.

JAMTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
As stated above, the car has 190k but I'm not sure whether the nozzles have been replaced. The suggestion of IP timing is a good one but its spot on, if not slightly advanced but within spec.
paramedick, I'll check for any seepage on the IP as that really hasn't occurred to me. Are you thinking that the IP could be sucking air over long periods of time and eventually putting a large bubble in the pump? Very interesting...... The T has been replaced so, chances are, its not the problem.