Would this be ok to do

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
In a mk4 golf estate

Carry an auto gearbox for a 530d, I know it'll be bloody heavy and don't know if it could take the weight, I'd sit it in the middle so to speak ie folding the back seats so it was more centred. I just don't want to break the suspension ect as I'll be doing about 200 miles.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
How much does it weigh? More than three typical humans (500-600 lbs)?

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
I recently drive home with 500lbs of rock for a fire pit in the back of my Jetta along with 2 other passengers and I was fine.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Should be fine. Think of it, your car has 3 seats in the back, that's 3 200lb humans. Worst case, the rear drops quite a bit.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
If you put the transmission as close to the center of the vehicle as possible (i.e. lower seats and move it in), it will handle better, rather than having the rearmost portion imbalanced.

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
I know hence saying that in the post, I just wasn't sure about it but others say about the weight of some people in the back is no different. I only thought about going for it myself because I don't trust folk to send the right thing after the last muppets.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
I don't speak "Benny Hill" language....but, you can use some plywood to help distribute the weight "around" and some clean cardboard to help keep things clean.

Been doing it meself since earliest Golf days.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
People Tow other tdi’s with these cars so im sure your lil 530d trans would be fine if the transmission ever blows up in my 09 cummins its getting thrown in the trunk of my jetta and going from nj to NC and getting rebuilt by revmax so having 200-300lbs in the trunk youll be fine

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Twitch you might want to think twice about a revmax for your Cummins. They have had a lot of transmissions coming back lately. Two of my friends have the 68rfe and both of theirs have been out multiple times. On the flip side revmax does give them a check every time they remove them.