B5 w/245K head rebuilt..?signs of Balance shaft work? major concerns?

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
So im looking at getting a B5 which seems to have been kept well. The torque converter is bad i guess but thats a whole different thing....
What Im wondering, Is there a way I would be able to tell if the Balance shaft module has been replaced/repaired, Should this be a major concern of mine on a tdi with 245k?
The Head has been rebuilt. Should i assume ( i know i shouldn't) that doing a head job they would take care of any other serious issues? What are other potential issues. Sorry i have been reading and searching A lot but I think i may be search handicapped.....
The timing belt, trans and head have all been redone in the last 40k.......according to them, and they claim to have paperwork

Thanks for any guidance! Im much more familiar with the 1.9L ALH/BEW

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
look on your paper work to see if the camshaft was checked or replaced. make sure you use the proper oil or it will mess up the cam.

The balancer is another problem spot on these engines. I think most are doing a delete kit because of expense, I did. With that many miles it probably had it done. Make sure before you run it much. The balancer can go and it drives the oil pump.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
There is no way to tell for sure that the BSM has been deleted or replaced, unless the OP has pictures and receipts, or you pull the pan off and inspect.

I suppose you could drain the oil and go in with a borescope camera. They are cheap enough these days.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
At 245k the BM/OP module is your prime concern.

Having inspected the chain form mine, its so far out of the norm (no rollers, just a fixed pin) that I no longer believe in fine German engineering.

I have never even seen a non roller chain before, bicycles don't even use that crude a system.

Replaced head only deals with a specific head issue.

Like any car with that many miles its going to have other problems, so overall its impossible to say without the records.

If the TC is gone, that's a pretty costly issue by itself.

Items to look for and ask about would be trany fluid change (that should be changed every 60k or so, ergo, may be one reason TC is gone and the trany can't be known ).

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF, '04 Passat Wagon, 5-speed, BSD, our 8th. and 9th. TDI's
Lots to beware of here...

...unless you are getting it really cheap... like, 2-300 bucks. The Transmissions are really expensive to repair/replace, ($$$) making this car a perfect candidate for a manual swap. ($$) the head job likely came with a cam but not always, cams are a weak point ($), you could tell by examining the paperwork and hoping it's honest. The Balance shaft job is essential at this mileage, whether you delete or gear drive it. ($$) and ($$$). Once you do that, it'a a damn nice package! What a car! I did essentially all that stuff and LOVE the car... and while you are having the computer hacked to forget about the automatic transmission might as well get a Stage II tune. So, depending on what you've paid for the car, it's overall condition, body, interior and whatnot... you MIGHT be into it for a reasonable cost. It was worth it... TO ME... YMMV.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
.......I suppose you could drain the oil and go in with a borescope camera. They are cheap enough these days.

Borescopes are cool as long as you know what you are looking for. Otherwise might as well don't even try it.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Duteman2 you really think I should have expected to pay that little? I assure you, I paid more than $300 but it seemed like a good deal to me, considering how rare these are, and all the $ they put into it recently (receipts and all, New tires etc) They weren't gonna let it go that cheap. Putting a new torque converter in it now. From comparing videos on sound I do believe they deleted the BSM

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! I watched some youtube videos on a Deleted BSM vs Non where they compared the engine sound, and mine definitely sounds deleted....ill check but I don't recall where all the paperwork went, as its been in storage since I purchased it. It usually starts up really nice and quick, but last time, after sitting for a month the thing took many attempts to get started up! Should I be looking into the Tandem Pump for that symptom?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Waitaminit...

You are putting a TC in the car...

That means you are / have dropped the subframe to get the transmission out.

Why don't you just drop the pan to be sure that the BSM has been addressed? takes minutes to get the pan off if the subframe is already out!

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Good call, honestly been a while since I looked into the BSM as you can tell my original post date, I will definitely have to do that, Will I need a pan gasket in doing so? Yes the trans is on the ground and i've been not wanting to do much work after that project haha

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
change the oil if it takes 5qts its deleted
well being that i have the subframe off like windex said i may as well just check, unless of course that means I need a gasket as i don't want to wait on ordering one....
also what Trans fluid is needed for these? was going to use pentosin atf 5L i think it is...advance auto has it at $50 for 5 litres

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
well being that i have the subframe off like windex said i may as well just check, unless of course that means I need a gasket as i don't want to wait on ordering one....
also what Trans fluid is needed for these? was going to use pentosin atf 5L i think it is...advance auto has it at $50 for 5 litres
Pentosin ATF-1. There are other options too (Febi, etc.), but the Pentosin in the 5L jug for $50 is a good price. You will need closer to 6L though. The TC holds 1.5L and the pan should hold 4 - 4.5L. You'd need closer to 9L if you want to flush the system using the transmission pump.

The trusted vendors here have filter kits that include the filter, gasket and seal. Meyle and Meistersatz are popular. Should be ~$25. Check IDParts or CascadeGerman. World Impex and FCP Euro are also options.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Zambee500 yeah i thought so my local euro place autohausaz was 75 for the same fluid. and i got filter and gasket through them as well....thanks for the info maybe i can buy another liter or two sperately i'll have to see if they have it in.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Dang so it’s the $75 stuff eh? Well I guess I didn’t have to wait. I thought it was the same stuff autohausaz had not probablu not just the same pic

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
ATF1 LV

Appearance Red & Clear

Density at 20°C 845 kg/m³

Kinematic Viscosity at 100ºC 5.6 mm²/s

Kinematic Viscosity at 40ºC 25.3 mm²/s

Viscosity Index 168

Dynamic Viscosity at -40ºC 6,800 mPa*s

Pour Point -54°C/-65.2°F

Flash Point >206°C/>402°F

ATF1

Appearance Amber & Clear

Density at 20°C 850 kg/m³

Kinematic Viscosity at 100ºC 7.6 mm²/s

Kinematic Viscosity at 40ºC 38.0 mm²/s

Viscosity Index 171

Dynamic Viscosity at -40ºC 14000 mPa*s

Pour Point -51°C/-59.8°F

Flash Point >220°C/>428°F

Wet Boiling Point ≥170°C/≥338°F

pH Value Slightly Alkaline

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so it’s definitely not the right stuff, that’s too bad I HAD time could have ordered in some inexpensive febi

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
what other fluid will work i guess i got the last of the pentosin atf-1 available locally....would i be able to mix brands or no i should just order more of pentosin....?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
Not a huge fan of mixing fluids, but there are several ATFs that are approved by ZF for use in this transmission. Febi (G052162F2) is probably the more common alternative to Pentosin. ZF brands their own blue bottles, but it is likely repackaged Febi or Pentosin. Rowe ATF9000F is supposedly compatible (not sure). Fuchs Titan 4000 might also be compatible (again, not sure).

The DYI how-to for ATF change on myturbodiesel had a forum or comments section where several ATFs were mentioned as being approved by ZF. I recall one was pretty widely available at local big-box type brick & mortars, but I don't recall which one. I remember it was not Mobil-1's full synth ATF.... at least several years ago. Perhaps it was the the Valvoline.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks again for all the info, I did see that write up on myturbodiesel but it turns out my locat advance auto (as well as parts authority) had a liter in stock of that same pentosin so I feel good about that. was out of town for a bit after finishing the job so just now responding, everything seems great, had a flutter while in gear and thats gone, does take a second to kick into reverse but feels normal, im used to manuals really.

when I did wrap up tho I had to turn it over A LOT in fact had to go buy a new battery as mine was toast even the charger wasn't doing the trick on a boost start....should I worry about the tandem pump? I didn't see any real signs of leaking. but it did take me several like maybe 10 tries or more of 2 second cranking for it to fire up....here 5 days of sitting though and she fired right up this morning.... super excited for this car, My daily has been a 1982 240D I just now sold it had no AC and some of the days lately have been up to Literally 115 degrees out here...so i was over that operation haha

Last edited: