CP3 and 2micron kits?

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
i used to have a 2013 tdi jsw i ordered new and held on to for a couple years... i sold it before the warranty period was up, but am relatively familiar with some of the typical issues with this generation of tdis.

it seems a lot of development was done by the community following my sale of that thing in late 2014 - specifically with the release of 2micron's awesome filter kits, and the cp3 pump swaps.

well, we're looking to reshuffle our fleet again and one of the cars im considering is a tdi jsw, again hah
but looking around here it seems as though following the dieselgate buybacks either demand has fallen off for some of these enthusiast-built fixes, or the parameters of dieselgate have somehow forced them underground?
in thinking about it and seeing how high the mileage is on some of the used examples we'd be looking at, the only way i could see myself owning another one of these cars long term is with a filter kit or pump swap, though im having a hard time with broken links and lack of availability of the kits mentioned in archived threads on here...

so, what gives?
is 2micron still around?
does anyone sell cp3 swap kits anymore?

cheers!

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
is that some version of the cp3, or more durable than stock? the description makes it sound like an oem replacement...

shame about the filter kits, or that no other shop took over production... maybe the demand isnt there anymore?

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I would like to see names of mechanics/shops on the eastern side of the U.S. that have verifiable experience installing the CP3 kit. I think ultimately I will have a kit installed on my car. I'm willing to drive a fair distance to have it done.
My local independent mechanic has no clue about the kit.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any shop that you trust enough for a timing belt job should be able to do the swap no problem. Just print out a copy of the excellent installation procedure for them. German Diesel Motorwerks in Penn. has done a number of them. Not a difficult swap at all.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I would like to see names of mechanics/shops on the eastern side of the U.S. that have verifiable experience installing the CP3 kit. I think ultimately I will have a kit installed on my car. I'm willing to drive a fair distance to have it done.
Did you have the fix done on your 2011? If so the HPFP is covered by the extended warranty for quite a while. Why bother with the CP3 pump now?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
German Diesel Motorwerks in Penn. has done a number of them.

German Diesel Motorwerks (GDM) CP3 conversion kit

CP3 installation instructions (PDF)

GDM in Pennsylvania did my CP3 conversion!

Last edited:

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I understand that states have to opt in to require the fix. I was told only 15 states have signed on to requiring it. My state has not. There are a number of videos and comments indicating the Gen 1 fix, and perhaps the other fixes, too, lead to additional problems with the car. Someone here recommended getting the Gen 1 fix done (Isn't it only a reflash?) getting the few thousand in cash then at some point "deflashing" back to original, so to speak. Sure, you get some money but it sounds like it might be more trouble than its worth.
My thought is to do nothing to my car. My cars odometer is at roughly 90,000. At some point soon take a drive to a shop experienced CP3 and spring for it myself.

There are no other cars that I want. 99% now are 4-door, automatic transmission and grossly under powered. (See my comment here somewhere here on the return trip from a dealership in a brand new Lexus RX.). And on a new car, in a few short years I would have lost that extra few thousand in bonus buyback money (on top of actual value) on depreciation anyway. All this, unless I went with a used car (pre-owned) for which I wouldn't really know its history. I like my car. I'm 6'5" and its a 2-door. When in the car and I look to the left I don't see B-pillar. Its one of the easiest cars to get in and out of I've ever experienced - even high end 4-door lux vehicles I've been in.

Keeping the whole process simple. Maybe I'm missing something. I welcome responses.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
So here's the rub, if you don't take it in and get the "fix" you don't get the cash, or any further warranty coverage, however when your particulate filter cracks and egr clogs they will run a mickey mouse fuel test, tell you your fuel is contaminated and refuse to cover anything (that's what happened to me at southern vw anyhow) so now I have a turbo back exhaust and tune to install when I have a spare moment.

After paying 228 dollars in diagnostic and fuel test fees (I told them exactly what was wrong and what it needed) which they confirmed after several hours of dicking around, they tell me the fuel test failed, they could not say why, apparently it just says good or not. (I have never had a drive ability or fuel pump issue mind you, and this tank full was no different) I went round and round with VW customer care, and they told me ultimately my warranty was garbage due to this failed fuel test, they assured me anything not related to bad fuel would still be covered, to which I replied, "what the f would that be if you blame a cracked DPF on my diesel fuel????" My suggestion is take the fix and the money, wipe your butt with the "extended warranty" and use the blood money to get a cp3, full exhaust and tune.

Last edited:

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
My suggestion is take the fix and the money, wipe your butt with the "extended warranty" and use the blood money to get a cp3, full exhaust and tune.
and honestly i think that sounds like a perfect plan, and is probably the only way id like to get back into one of these. fix or no fix itd be tuned, probably emissions intact to start, and would need some kind of filter/pump setup to mitigate any catastrophic failure
but back to my earlier point, where are these actually available?
the GDM links show as out of stock, and the AArodriguez stuff is all broken links... that UK darkside site only appears to sell a basic filter (generic heavy duty diesel parts with a generic filter head, no other parts) and if 2micron is gone...

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
and honestly i think that sounds like a perfect plan, and is probably the only way id like to get back into one of these. fix or no fix itd be tuned, probably emissions intact to start, and would need some kind of filter/pump setup to mitigate any catastrophic failure
but back to my earlier point, where are these actually available?
the GDM links show as out of stock, and the AArodriguez stuff is all broken links... that UK darkside site only appears to sell a basic filter (generic heavy duty diesel parts with a generic filter head, no other parts) and if 2micron is gone...
I would suggest using the good ol'e fashioned telephone. Give Andrew at AA or Les at GDM a call. Both (or their staff) would be glad to talk through the process and confirm if available. I can't speak highly enough about AA's service and my experience at GDM was great too.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
thats a fair point, i will reach out and do a little more digging.
i didnt realize 2micron was active still for some reason the archived threads i found seemed long dead.
just sent him a PM

appreciate the help! and looking forward to getting back into the community if we can find a more future-proof pump/filter config

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
The question I still have is, does the Gen 1 fix screw up the car? With warning lights in the dash coming on and maybe additional fixes to fix the fix.

Is there anyone with knowledge of how well the Gen 1 fixes have gone - with a broad number of responses? If I had the "fix" deflashed later on, and retuned to the original or retuned, as some here suggest, would the power train be in worse for wear having been fixed. And is there anything preventing the process of a Gen 1 "fix" deflash?

Sorry to sound so ignorant. In my town there seems to be a dearth of knowledge in this respect.
One of the two local dealers, the one I get my service, no longer wants anything to do with the whole thing. Though they did for a while, they won't even take buy back vehicles now. And will barely talk about the process or answer questions.
The other dealer must be hanging by a thread. Its next to impossible to even get them on the phone.
Sad.

Last edited:

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
GDM got back to me with some updates -
they do have part of the pump kits in stock but it is something they will regularly keep on hand. So it looks like depsite what the site currently suggests that's always an option.

They also said that since 2micron is done making filter kits, they've brought those designs in house and will be releasing some updated versions, but the exact date is TBD.

At any rate this means the support is ongoing!

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Darkside’s website alleges to have them. Maybe drop them a line.