2015 Passat plastic valet key

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Took a 2 week flight to Russia. Left the car with valet parking. Locked the glove compartment with the plastic key but thankfully ??? forgot to push the button so NO ONE could open the trunk.

Somewhere along the way I lost the plastic valet key, so at present I cannot open the glove compartment.
Do the dealers have them ready made?

Do other VW's or Audi's use these? I wonder if so, if a wrecker may have one?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It would be impossible for a dealer to have a key "ready made".

If you mean ready TO BE made, then that answer is still no.

The dealerships must order the keys cut to VIN from the warehouse. It usually takes 2-3 days to receive the key.

The odds of finding a key that will actually work for your car are ASTRONOMICALLY slim. Granted, there are only so many key codes there can be, but the odds of finding that one exact key are probably pretty close to 1 in 100,000.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It would be impossible for a dealer to have a key "ready made".

If you mean ready TO BE made, then that answer is still no.

The dealerships must order the keys cut to VIN from the warehouse. It usually takes 2-3 days to receive the key.

The odds of finding a key that will actually work for your car are ASTRONOMICALLY slim. Granted, there are only so many key codes there can be, but the odds of finding that one exact key are probably pretty close to 1 in 100,000.

The plastic key has only the zigzag pattern cut in it. Has no other markings on it. Cannot start the car.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
The plastic key has only the zigzag pattern cut in it. Has no other markings on it. Cannot start the car.
Still the pattern is somehow stored in some database - hence you need you VIN to get one. Just like ordering a new fob with the switchblade key (been there)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The “zigzag” pattern you mentioned is different on the plastic as compared to the ignition key.

It has to be. Otherwise the valet could use the ignition key to unlock the glovebox.

So the glovebox has one key pattern while the door and ignition lock cylinders have a different pattern.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Have you tried the regular ignition key to unlock the glove box? I almost think the plastic key was straight with no zig zag.

A dealer might be able to help you out by snagging one from an older Passat on the lot and letting you use it for a few min to unlock yours.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Sorry the plastic key is not straight, it does have a pattern to it.

On my '12 I received 2 of the keys along with a tag that has a code number on it. My guess would be the same as others have said. You can go to the dealership and request a new key and they can make/have it made for you. Wither you can get it while you wait or have to wait a couple days for them to receive it I don't know.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys, next week Monday, July 30th, I'm taking it in for the Phase 2 work. I'll see what they'll say about a key.

Plus I have a body squeak (Not mine, the cars) and it apparently has a TSB about this. At a complete standstill with the foot on the brake, release the brake momentarily and re-apply it the body creaks. Also at low speeds it will do it.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I ordered a valet key for mine a couple months back, my SE apparently didn’t come with one. They order based on vin, my cost was around $60 and I had it in a couple days.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ordered a valet key for mine a couple months back, my SE apparently didn’t come with one. They order based on vin, my cost was around $60 and I had it in a couple days.

Yikes, not exactly inexpensive. And that's in US dollars.

When I bought the car it was with about 9000km (5,500m) and it did not have the key in the glove compartment. Told the salesman about it. He left me for about 5 minutes and came back with a plastic key. I thought he'd liberated it from another car!!!

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Yikes, not exactly inexpensive. And that's in US dollars.

When I bought the car it was with about 9000km (5,500m) and it did not have the key in the glove compartment. Told the salesman about it. He left me for about 5 minutes and came back with a plastic key. I thought he'd liberated it from another car!!!
And that’s getting a discount because I work with the dealer. Regular price was something like $87.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP

I can see it now, the car comes in and the previous owner did not put the key in the glove box (just like me) but gave them the key along with the FOBs. Being the "knowledgeable" salespeople they put the valet key in the folder with everything else about the car instead of putting it on the ring with the rest of the car keys. Then you buy the car and they leave the valet key behind in the file.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can see it now, the car comes in and the previous owner did not put the key in the glove box (just like me) but gave them the key along with the FOBs. Being the "knowledgeable" salespeople they put the valet key in the folder with everything else about the car instead of putting it on the ring with the rest of the car keys. Then you buy the car and they leave the valet key behind in the file.

Actually probably not as you suggest. At time of purchase I also did not have the owners manual in the glove compartment. When I pointed that out the salesman got me a manual which upon closer inspection was for a totally different vehicle. A 2015 Passat yes, but different model and serial numbers and the wrong radio code too. Had to request the correct code too.

This is what leads me to think the valet key may be generic.