2000 tdi No response from engine controller, starts then dies, no immobilizer light

Turboed

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Hello,

I really am stumped with this problem. I have a 2000 jetta tdi that starts and runs fine for 2 seconds then dies every time. I have a flashing glow plug light that comes on and I have engine light on. The immobilizer light is not on. I cannot get the engine controller to respond with my vag com but have never had a problem doing so before. I have checked the dlc power, ground and k-link voltage(9v). I have checked and changed the obvious fuel filter and have fuel coming out of the lines. The fuel shut off has power all the time the ignition is on. Checked all the fuses. Tested the 109 relay. The relay is fine but the input ground #85 when checked with my power probe 3 displayed sporatic ground on and off and blinks fast. I am not sure if this is normal or not and may be coming from the ECM. I am pulling my hair out as this is my family car. I am a mechanic but I need some one that knows where to go from here. Any help is very very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Russ

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
First wrong area to ask this question.

13 old car bulbs do burn out.. ie the Immo bulb perhaps.

most likely you are using the wrong key to start the car...

The fob/key has been damaged.

In reality you need to get a vag com scan. The Vag Com will give you the code to fix.

Turboed

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Thank you for your reply I appreciate it very much. Well my immobilizer light does work but turns off after three seconds after I turn on the ignition. So it doesn't look like I have a problem there. I do have a vag com that has never failed me until now. The engine controller will not allow me to connect (no response from controller). I can get into the abs module though so I know my vag com is working.

Let me tell you how this started. My wife called me while I was at work to tell me the car would just start and then die. She was at a physical therapy appointment and when she came out to start the car; that is what it did. So like I said I am stumped. Everything runs fine for two seconds and then that's it. I can rev it up and everything for two seconds.

Thanks again for your reply. Please ask questions about my problem and maybe point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Russ

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I would first check all the fuses then I think I'd check the ground near the ecu? I think there's one there. Next I'd disconnect and reconnect the big plugs to the ecu then try again.

The k-line must be fine if you can connect to other modules.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
the 2 seconds thing just sounds like the immobilizer, but looks like you ruled that out.
As a shot in the dark, disconnect both battery terminals and touch the wires together for a minute. This can sometimes discharge certain capacitors/devices.
The other fooler can be the ASV closing just after start-up, check visually

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Good call on the asv, I completely forgot about that one.

Turboed

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Now I have checked the asv in fact it is wired open because that stupid plastic piece broke. I have removed the battery cables and touched them together for quite awhile in hopes of solving my headache but no go. I checked and cleaned the ground in the plenum in front of the ECM still no go. I am so stumped. So please keep throwing me suggestions. Please read all my post in this thread as I have checked many things but are on my previous posts in this thread. Again let me thank you guys for your help.

Thank you,
Russ

Turboed

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Could this be a ECM issue? If so is there a way to test the powers and grounds to it to make sure I don't ruin a new one. Some kind of a pin out diagram would be nice and if you guys know of the numbers to check.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check the fuse on the lh side of the dash, make sure it's not blown and it's in. Did you check the 109 relay like I asked in the other post you have going?

Turboed

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
The fuses are all good and I have checked the 109 relay for proper operation but I also bought a new one just incase. I just got the car to start today after three attempts. It ran fine until I turned it off. Then it never wanted to start again. The glow plug light was flashing while it was running so I tried to hook up the vcds with no luck. Same no response from controller. I have a used ECM that I picked up from the salvage yard that I was gonna try until I leaned on the upper coolant hose tee and broke it…ugh. So I have to fix that first.

kebekerhugo

TDI
Golf TDI 2010
My father ever had a problem like this on his 2000 Tdi. It happens after he tried to lube the keyway on the driver front door. We towed it to the dealer (since it was under warranty) and they said it was a shortcut in the door mecanism. (there is switch that says if the door is open and is related with the immo system) If I was you, I would take a look in the measuring block in the convinience central module or the Central locks to see if the switch gives you good reading and take a look to fault codes. Good Luck