What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You know , while I was thinking about it , have you ever thought about selling lift pumps with the bypass mod already done... maybe even bio ready? .... I for one would be interested in that as the ultimate solution ( priming / possible performance / longevity improvements) but reading about how to mod and do a proper bypass has been a hindrance for me and possibly others....
VW probably didn't include it because it wasn't necessary. These cars start fine, as do many other rotary pump diesels (Mercedes come to mind) without any assistance for the rotary pump.

We don't modify lift pumps because it would void the warranty, and if a customer has a problem with the pump (even if it's not the pump's fault) we'd be on the hook. Same reason we don't sell modified turbos.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
My "05 Jeep Liberty CRD has a problem with its pump, and the recommended fix is to to a similar thing, install an intank lift pump. Involved and expensive. The simple route is to get a small $20-30 inline external pump. My Jeep came with that mod, which fixes the issue. I've often felt that if I ever had any issues with my ALH, that that would be the way to go. Never having had an issues whatsoever with the pump or starting, I've not bothered.
A manual prime pump however for eg, running out of fuel, replacing injectors, etc, would be handy IMO. The few times I've swapped injectors I've just run the starter, being careful to not overheat same.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My "05 Jeep Liberty CRD has a problem with its pump, and the recommended fix is to to a similar thing, install an intank lift pump. Involved and expensive. The simple route is to get a small $20-30 inline external pump. My Jeep came with that mod, which fixes the issue. I've often felt that if I ever had any issues with my ALH, that that would be the way to go. Never having had an issues whatsoever with the pump or starting, I've not bothered.
A manual prime pump however for eg, running out of fuel, replacing injectors, etc, would be handy IMO. The few times I've swapped injectors I've just run the starter, being careful to not overheat same.
Where's the OEM lift pump on your Liberty? Attached to the engine? My '04 5.9 CR Cummins had an external lift pump attached to the back/side of the engine. It was a poor design that was recalled because the mighty C would just shake that thing into failure. The solution was the in tank lift pump. Hasn't given me any grief since (I believe it was done in 08, I've had the truck since 2012).

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
The CP3 stock pump is indeed attached to the motor. Like most pumps, it pushes better than it pulls, at least that's my take on the problem. Now the inline very small low output pump is actually installed back near the fuel tank, and is beneath the tank. The one the Jeep came with actually crapped out and I started having fuel issues. Another $30 pump and 20 minutes of installation time and it's been flawless since. Incidentally the Jeep has a maual prime pump as part of the fuel filter. Very ez to reprime the system.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The CP3 stock pump is indeed attached to the motor. Like most pumps, it pushes better than it pulls, at least that's my take on the problem. Now the inline very small low output pump is actually installed back near the fuel tank, and is beneath the tank. The one the Jeep came with actually crapped out and I started having fuel issues. Another $30 pump and 20 minutes of installation time and it's been flawless since. Incidentally the Jeep has a maual prime pump as part of the fuel filter. Very ez to reprime the system.
OK. Yeah the CP3 is attached to the timing gear housing on my truck, like you said, it's meant to push, not pull, but if my in tank crapped out, it would get me home. As long as the fuel has started it can pull. Although it's not good for it. Ah ok so your inline pump was down by the tank. Yeah in my OEM stock form, it was bolted to the block. Bad choice. No manual priming though for my system though, just bump the key a few times to purge air.

I always dug those little Liberty CR's. I wonder how it'd do in a early 2000's tacoma or 4Runner

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"I always dug those little Liberty CR's. I wonder how it'd do in a early 2000's tacoma or 4Runner"

Wanna' buy one? It's up for sale, the girlfriend, in spite of my best efforts, wanted NEW! Aaaackkk!, oh well it is her money, so we got a 2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad with all the whistles and bells. The CRD has all new brakes, rotors, and tires, rebuilt tranny with an upgraded torque converter, no rust, clean and straight. It's an impressive 4WD vehicle.

The VM diesel runs great, apparently they run them in the London cabs.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
"I always dug those little Liberty CR's. I wonder how it'd do in a early 2000's tacoma or 4Runner"

Wanna' buy one? It's up for sale, the girlfriend, in spite of my best efforts, wanted NEW! Aaaackkk!, oh well it is her money, so we got a 2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad with all the whistles and bells. The CRD has all new brakes, rotors, and tires, rebuilt tranny with an upgraded torque converter, no rust, clean and straight. It's an impressive 4WD vehicle.

The VM diesel runs great, apparently they run them in the London cabs.
Ha, I don't need anything else to work on. Too many projects, not enough time or space.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
At 400 miles before the half way mark. Hypermiling it some this fill. I may be able to hit 800 and have never sqeezed more than 15.5 gals on a fill.. even with vantectomy and filling all the way up the neck. Gotta love 50+ mpg. :D

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just finished my sons 2000 timing belt change along with a bunch of other work.
1. Installed 100k T Belt kit
2. replace broken down pipe with a spare one I had repaired ( pipe broke off behind cat ).
3. replaced damaged power steering pump pulley ( no idea how ) with one off spare engine.
4. drained and refilled transmission fluid with synchromesh.
5. changed engine oil and filter.
6. installed an oil catch can setup on his car.
7. replaced split 90 degree boost pipe by ASV valve ( would go into limp mode under moderate throttle )
8. Had to install time serts into engine mount when helicoils pulled out.

Car now drives and shifts nice.......quiet now too 😉 307,xxx miles.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
2. replace broken down pipe with a spare one I had repaired ( pipe broke off behind cat ).
3. replaced damaged power steering pump pulley ( no idea how ) with one off spare engine.
7. replaced split 90 degree boost pipe by ASV valve ( would go into limp mode under moderate throttle )

Nice! Thats a lot accomplished in one swoop. Love those time serts. I need to do #4. No idea if it's been done in 160k miles. Still shifts smoothly though.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I got a couple of cousins for my mk4... Got two b5.5 passat TDI wagons, that makes three 2005 passat wagons in my fleet now... Maybe I'll have to get rid of some cars soon, as this makes my car count up past 10...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
" as this makes my car count up past 10. "

Keep it up and you'll catch up to Oilhammer.:) IBW has a pretty good fleet too.
Just as well I don't live on a couple of acres, lol.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
" as this makes my car count up past 10. "

Keep it up and you'll catch up to Oilhammer.:) IBW has a pretty good fleet too.
Just as well I don't live on a couple of acres, lol.
Yeah... Don't really want to try to see how many I can get... I counted, it's at 11 now! 4 TDIs, plus another that's going to be a tdi (1980 early westy caddy) and another caddy which has the 1.6 NA diesel with a turbo.
Only three of them are spark ignited vehicles. Take that back, currently I technically own 12 vehicles, since my brother in law has one that we haven't transferred the title on, and he hasn't paid me for yet... Anyway, I have to get rid of a few...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

I've heard bad things about helicoils. Never used them before, but used timeserts several times with great success. I get to do the same 100k t-belt kit tomorrow or Sunday.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do today? Aside from getting home in the AM, got inspection done, registration completed (so my 2002 Golf now sports my <3 DSEL plates), and then installed my B6/sport springs on the rear, Neuspeed rear swaybar, and swapped brake pads/rotors (they were practically brand new on the wrecked 2003, installed by me about two-three months ago). Also put in some various LED lighting here and there from the other car, replaced the rear hatch struts, and some coding for the remote windows and rear hatch unlock.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I've heard bad things about helicoils. Never used them before, but used timeserts several times with great success. I get to do the same 100k t-belt kit tomorrow or Sunday.
Ive usually had pretty good luck with Heli coils before. When I got my sons car 10 years ago and did the first TB change that’s when the engine mount bolts first pulled out , back then I hadn’t heard about time serts before but did know about Heli coils.
It was a bear trying to get the correct time sert kits...I could find everything else but the one I needed.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Ive usually had pretty good luck with Heli coils before. When I got my sons car 10 years ago and did the first TB change that’s when the engine mount bolts first pulled out , back then I hadn’t heard about time serts before but did know about Heli coils.
It was a bear trying to get the correct time sert kits...I could find everything else but the one I needed.
The previous owner of the wrecked car made some comment about a stripped bolt hole during the timing belt removal. I think it ended up being one of the holes for the accessory belt tensioner or something, so it was a pretty easy timesert to find, but just as a precautionary, I ordered all I needed from amazon (and returned, because I didn't use) for the the engine mount holes. Maybe they had a limited selection about a decade ago, I dunno. Most professional mechanics I know swear by Timesert and refuse to use Helicoil.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I've used both. The time serts are a lot better, especially for going into aluminum. I keep the m12x1.5 at the shop for those mounts, though my dad's car has a different pitch time serts set and just uses grade 10.9 metric bolts, instead of the tty bolts. I've heard one of the common reasons for messing up those threads is using an impact wrench to remove the bolts, which is what I used the first time I did my dad's car (it was mine at the time) I messed up the threads and reused the old bolts... One of the bolts broke, and the other one pulled out most of the way after about 100 miles. Thankfully the engine didn't fall, and I caught it in time. I then used a ratchet strap to hold the engine up for the rest of the 100 miles home... I was going to use heli-coils for repairing it, but nobody around had the right ones in stock, so I headed to a further out town and decided to stop by a VW shop that mostly specialized in air cooled to see if he had any ideas. He actually had a repaired mount on his shelf that had time-serts in it. He had been experimenting with it, and the fastenal didn't have the right pitch in stock, but it was the right price and worked for me.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah I’ll never go back to Heli coils again, I got the longer 24mm inserts that take up the full depth of the hole.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Oil change in the Red Golf. 270K miles on the clock, about 15K miles on the reconstructed engine. Used zero oil in the last 10K interval. Not bad.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm beyond exhausted. All I have left to pull on my wrecked car is my bosal tow bar. I want to do a neater job on my 2002 Golf, so I'll do some Dremmel action to the bumper when I get it pulled. Otherwise, I finished removing all salvagable parts today off the wrecked 2003... except for my front swaybar bushings (since those are three months old). Pulled the motor/transmission out with the help of my diesel tractor. Disconnected both axles (passenger might be okay and it's a year old, but I think the driver's side is toast), and then took off the transmission when it was closer to the ground/pallet. I'll have to upload some photos shortly. The transmission case is toast. Got my SMF/clutch (dual diaphragm), and I might take a stab at pulling the Sanden compressor tomorrow (the one on the 2002 took a crap on me the day after I bought it). Also got my VR6 brake hub/B8 combo pulled, so I'll probably stick those in tomorrow, to complete my suspension refresh.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Installed my ColorMFA into the Golf, along with updating the firmware for it, and got my passenger side axle/B8 strut done, before realizing I need a new subframe. Thankfully, thanks to this youtube video, it looks like it'll be relatively easy. I guess it works out, since I was going to replace all the suspension stuff and tie rods up front anyways. The 2003 felt like a brand new car after I had all that stuff done, so I seek to replicate the same feel.

Pictures to follow of the ColorMFA replacement.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Oh, I forgot to mention that Friday I stopped by @Franko6 's place and dropped a couple of heads off to get massaged. Sadly the head I was hoping to use for my golf ended up needing more repairs than is financially wise, so Frank will be fixing up over of his core heads. Also dropped off the head for my AHU caddy build.
Going down to his area made where I live feel like a city in comparison.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Going down to his area made where I live feel like a city in comparison.
I've seen his place on google maps. Looks a lot like my town actually. And lucky you on seeing him for a head rebuild. I've thought about doing the same (mail or deliver in person) for a port/cam job, though with what's happened recently, I don't think I'll be doing this until maybe the Fall.

Are you getting one of his cams to go with it?

Mozambiquer

TDI
I've seen his place on google maps. Looks a lot like my town actually. And lucky you on seeing him for a head rebuild. I've thought about doing the same (mail or deliver in person) for a port/cam job, though with what's happened recently, I don't think I'll be doing this until maybe the Fall.

Are you getting one of his cams to go with it?
Yeah, I'm lucky he's only two hours away from me. I'll be getting one of his cams for my AHU. I have a Colt cam in my golf, mainly because I got it for a good price.
I thought it was kinda cool seeing how small of a shop he has in a small town in rural missouri, and yet he's so well known as one of the best. It was fun hanging out with him in his shop for a bit. I want to watch him do a cnc port sometime.