Sotam123's Mk4 Golf TDI progress thread

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Fantastic job mon homme...lots of work done!!! BTW which part of Montreal do you live in? I used to live on the east end of St Catherine and Notre Dame, right by the river.
Oh and heres the info on my drop.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=353442
Merci! ;)
I live in the west island in DDO near fairview.
anyways, for the suspension i was going to go with FK streetlines which were on special on AMImotorsports.com, but decided to prder the new Solo werks S1 since they came with a 3 year warranty(compared to 1year for FK). They costed me600$ shipped to my door FedEx. Didnt see many reviews on these for the mk4 but have heard good things comming from mK5 guys and all in all havnt seen any negatives(then again these coilovers have been on the market for about a year and a half (i think). They seem to be good quality and with 3 year warranty i say why not try them.
http://www.amimotorsports.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=7525

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Just a heads up, if you are going FK...the stainless steel ones would be better for the harsh salty winters in PQ...but thats if you are going to be driving it year round

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Ok well just finished installing my stage 2 suspenaion refresh kit yesterday (2new ball joins, 2 full tie rods, Lca bushings(with upgraded r32 rears), new endlinks). All i can say is that it was about time i do this!! evrything was 100% shot. gonna get the coilovers installed tomorrow morning and also get it aligned(my wheels are currently both pointing outwards soo when i turn one wheel drags, soo im not driving it atm).

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Ok soo here is another update since its been a while...
ok soo after installing the suspension refresh got my coilover installed (Solo-Werks S1). They are a new brand that came out for about a year if im not mistaken..they seem to be really popular with the mkV guys but decided to buy them anyways over the Fk streetlines since they come with a 3 year warranty (over 1 year for the FKs). They are gold zinc plated for corrosion protection but i clear coated the shock bodies to be sure(here in quebec winters are reallly salty). Anyways ive driven almost 5000 km with them and soo far im happy, they arent super stiff, meaning they are pretty comfortable to drive on these crappy quebec roads and i like the feel, i have a ~2inch drop (2 feet off the ground fender to the ground) and still have a lot of thread left to go lower. Havent had any problems soo far and they seem to be holding up pretty good. Got them off http://www.amimotorsports.com 600$ shipped to my door. Maybe people say they are pretty much the same as Fk streetlines, but i wouldnt know..I would suggest them especially if u live in the states they are on special..
anyways here are some pics;
clear coated & anti seize on threads

Also got new sway bar bushings and metal endlinks to replace the plastc ones i had put

here is a comparison of my old/new ball joints, was about time they get changed!

Anyways decided to do the egr vac line simplification soo here is how its looks like after (much cleaner bay less lines)

how its sitting now...

monday ill be taking it to unitronic to get it chipped (stage 1+), and then on tuesday im going to go to my neighbors body shop to get a quote to get both my rockers replaced(from the front to the middle of the driver door). im still not sure i want to get the front end and trunk painted since im still thinking if i want to keep this colour or not...

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Get some silicone tubing for the vacuum system, they have all the colours on ebay. I've gone for the blue stuff as I've got the silver car with the blue black gti seats so figured I'd stick with the theme.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
i though of doing that but just went to the dealer and got me a meter long piece of the oem tubing(upgraded design? seems stronger..)

*On another note my car seems to be getting a rough idle between ~822 and 975 rpm (when warm) when im stopped at the light, dont really know whats wrong anyone got any idea? I searched and found no specific awnser, just may different reasons...

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe worth checking the IQ with vagcom, the idle should sit steady around 950rpm. Also worth double checking your vacuum pipe replacement just in case.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Personally I wouldn't get a tune till the rough idle was sorted, best to have the car running sweet first then get a tune otherwise you'll never figure out what's causing what and could end up with more problems.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
ok well got the tune today, was pretty decent.. as for the bad idle i dont know but it healed itself...

Anyways i just realised today tbat there is a bunch of soot around my flex pipe on the downpipe, what does this mean, exhaust leak?

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
ok well got the tune today, was pretty decent.. as for the bad idle i dont know but it healed itself...

Anyways i just realised today tbat there is a bunch of soot around my flex pipe on the downpipe, what does this mean, exhaust leak?
More than likely yes exhaust leak

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
What the worst that can happen u think, besides a little power loss? i dont really feel like geting a new exhaust this year , maybe next summer...

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
ok well anyways next week i wont have my car for about 3days since im getting then rockers replaced and painted(cut from front to middle of driver doors on both sides). Then will be getting thefront end and truck properly matched and the trunk logo shaved too then week after, then i wont have to worry about any rust at all :D

Also
im liking the unitronicstage1+ , feels much better than the evry mod, and its also a legit
upgrade, next will be nozzels/clutch in the winter. also makes a big difference im the fuel comsuption(dont have exact numbers yet)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the leak is after the turbo it'll just maybe be a bit noisy and fumes might come into the cabin. It'll only affect the power if it's before the turbo.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
thats what i thought, anyways diesel fumes in the cabin is a positif thing no? :p Anyways i was thinking of getting a side exit exhaust done at some point anyways(what u think?) would be pretty cool..

Last edited:

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
EPIC update

Ok another big update dont even know were to start...lets go from bad to good..
ok soo a week ago i was up all day/night over 24hrs(work/seeing friends/ going places), anyways on the way back home about 15mins away at 5am i started feeling tired and felt like i was gonna fall asleep..long story short before i could even get to the next exit to take a break, i must have blacked out for like 5-10seconds cause i wake up with a loud smash and scrapping noise. i was on the part of the overpass were there is a curb, but since i wasnt really there i went straight into the sidewall...Thankfully im ok and no one got hurt(was around 4:30 am). Anyways there was an ambulence right there by coincdence they block off the lane and towing came(cost me 140$ to get my car towed off the highway to the nearest parking lot like 500m away....). The only visible damage was some light scratches on the bumper and cracked wheel well plastic, also the passenger front wheel was badly bent..

Anyways changed the rims and drove home, didnt feel anything out of ordinary..(handbrake cable broke off and is dragging tho, tied it into place with some zipties, getting that fixed monday). the funny thing is that i dont even think the car is out of alignment, goes perfectly straight and responds as usual(will get it double checked).
Ok now for the good stuff, soo got my car from the bodyshop yesterday(was getting 2 rockers repaired), here is how it turned out;
before:

after:

pretty decent job(except driver side isnt perfectly aligned, but its not that bad from normal angle)
Anyways as u might have realised in the previous pics i have steelies, that was because that same day of the crash i sold my tt mags(thank god!) since they needed repainting next year and i wanted something wider... soo this is what i got;

porsche twists 17" staggered (17x7 & 17x8.5 + 1inch spacers all around), it was a good deal with new tires and freshly powdercoated(i would have prefered silver tho).
Put them on yesterday after getting it back from bodyshop and they look sick!

minor rubbing rear;
the black looks real good since its freshly painted and shiney, but i might plasti dip them in white(what you guys say?)
anyways, im going to save up for a evolution skid plate, paint will have to wait since im still not shure what i want to do...

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Looks good.

They say driving tired is as dangerous as driving drunk. I'd say you really lucked out.

I used to be the same way, but cvhanged my habits and would pull over and take a nap if I was really tired. No sense in causing an accident.;)

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
i know this isnt what most people here do/care about, but anyways today i went to my local drag strip with 2 friends anyways did a few races got an average of ~11.3sec on the quarter mile, not bad.My friend that i raced had a 2002 jetta tdi with stock suspension same tune as me and new tires(mine were bald since they came like that with the new mags :D )

Anyways, thats about it, also got new rear calipers and hanbrake cables the other day...Starting to hear a sort ofloosy knock when i break could this be my dogbone mount that is finished?

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
LOL i wish im just kidding, i did 11.3 on 1/8 of mile, haha i knew one of you would react .
Anyways also gonna be changging all my engine/ tranny mounts but not shure if i wana stay oem or go poly(anyone have personnal experience??) Also changing my right axle since its finished i also i think i possibly bent it in the crash...

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
LOL i wish im just kidding, i did 11.3 on 1/8 of mile, haha i knew one of you would react .
Anyways also gonna be changging all my engine/ tranny mounts but not shure if i wana stay oem or go poly(anyone have personnal experience??) Also changing my right axle since its finished i also i think i possibly bent it in the crash...
Ok good :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I have all 034 mounts and I'm pretty happy with them. Otherwise I've heard good things about Black Forest Industry mounts. I would go with Stg 1 motor mounts and a Stg 2 dogbone to really lock things down.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
OK here is another update on my car,
soo a few days after the accident i talked about above^ i realised my axle was slightly ben soo was gonna get it fixed at a buddys place(didnt drive the car for the time beeing, scared to damage my transmission) anyways on the day im on my way to hes place i hear a loud "PoP!" and i cant feel the clutch and its hard to engage it into gear, after seeing the huge puddle of tranny fluid and smellling it, i directly drive the car to my mechanic. All i can say is that the tranny was finished, the diff pin failed and broke off then i drove it like 15 km to the garage..(look at pictures ull understand V)

Soo got a used 2003 transmission with new flywheel and clutch and replaced both axles.
Also my friend had a spare tranny mount soo i changed that myself a few days later..
then got my hands on a almost new set of .205 6hole nozzles(DSLA 150P 6H0) dont really know were they come from...

i really need and engine wash(what do you guys use?)

besides that the other day my steering just got randomly uncentered and alignment failed, after further inspection 2 of my 3 ball joint bolts had fallen out and the 3rd was loose(all the dirt was cleaning meaning they had been played with probably when they repalced my axles or something :mad:

10$ of bolts and 10 min of worth got evrything fixed again
just for giggles (armor all+ driving of bad condition stone road downtown= nasty gunk on rear arches)

anyways thats about it, im having issues with my fuel pump soo im going to get it changed for a 11mm one and get the timing belt done in the same time

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
update time! :)

Well its been quite a while before my last update, so found some time today..
since last update, i got my timing belt changed and a 11mm injection pump fitted, which fixed my rough idle problem..turns out the old 10mm pump was on its last legs, i also changed the fuel filter because i had water in my system which also caused the idle problem.. i also did notice a little mpg gain but that probably because the old pump was finished lol.
Besides that i got a few bad lucks that happed to me;
My idler pulley on the serpentine belt blew its bearing, was a very easy fix

Also my serpentine belt decided to shred up on me the other day(good thing i had a spare at home) took me 10 mins to replace

Finally one of my rear pads were totally finished(metal on metal) since i had a seized caliper around the end of august, soo the rear brakes were due, got some high quality ceramic pads and corrosion resistant discs, also greased the crap out of the calipers, the slider pins were badly corroded..

here she is in winter mode(added some front mudflaps);

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
G101, took about 20 minutes to go from this

To this

Finished off with regular interior polish stuff but don't rub it, let it just dry on and it comes up nice and shiny.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Wow! what a difference!!... well here its winter and on top of it i dont have the pastic engine splash guard...soo cleaning my engine now wont make any sense..but im planing buying a evolution skid plate in the nxt few days(chose the evolution over dieselgeek since its cheaper shipping for canada hehe)

but im defenetly gonna give it a try in the spring...i always use degreaser in a spray and a cloth..takes forever hah

also i need to fix my leaky valve cover before engine wash soo it dosent get all nasty again lol