MFA/FIS/Sport Cluster POSSIBLE on 99.5!!!

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
it won't, it says (erasing old keys) "command not accepted" "the key is not accepted, or can not be read"
it seems to be in line with having to manually get it into the EEPROM somehow.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
all right, seems my beetle ECU didnt speak CAN. got a jetta ECU and its talking to the TACH which also makes the oil light work proper. saw some threads where the tach/oil light are tied together in a way.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
No lit needles either,but I don't care. I have all that stuff on the 04.

Vag-tacho should be able to adapt the keys, but I usually just use it to pull the pin code and then adapt with VCDS.
You should be able to change bits in a single byte somewhere in the configuration to light up each element in the face. My unit has its face lit all the time.

The IMMO3 wants to have an ECM IMMO-ID before it will do key matching. You would have to manually write values to the original configuration rather than through the diagnostic interface (which has input validation and security that will block your attempt).

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
with the help of steve99 i've got an immo3 cluster eeprom that should take well to being adapted in an immo2 car. i'll find out tomorrow when i borrow a friend's time and car. this should complete my immo3+mfa cluster into a 99.5 with working immo3 defeat. i'll report my experiences when it's all sorted.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
immo has been adapted. thanks steve99. i'll try and do some complete write-up here with pictures (at some point).

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Has it been actually defeated or just adapted to a chip behind the cluster?

If it was actually defeated, I want to know how to do it.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
sorry, not defeated...adapted.

if you have a friend with a 2000+ jetta/golf you can do the same thing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
i've got a rescaled dump but don't know where to find a tach face so i'm not in much of a hurry on that one.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Im glad everyone has got MFA working on their 99.5 but I need some help.

Im using a Passat cluster ad I managed to code off airbag light and brake pad light.

Fuel consumption works :eek: but it says 200MPG lol

Pic:

Tach is dead on. Havent tried speedo yet. This is with the MSA15 ECU.

This is a non-immo CAN cluster (it has a CAN gateway and 920 part number).

Any ideas on how to fix the MPG? What about TDI RPM face? Thanks

PS: I have an ABS fault (speed sensor) and CEL light (glow plug light & harness).

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Ill check in a minute, but the MPG does jump up and down while driving.

For some reason, I just turned on the ignition and it said 16MPG...

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
What you see is normal.

Default display: Cumulative fuel economy from memory #2. ---- until the vehicle moves after resetting memory 2. Memory 1 resets after two hours with the ignition off.

200 MPG - overrun and coasting in neutral with sufficient speed.
--- - 200 MPG - normal operation.

Use the fuel consumption adaptation channel to change in 5% up to +/- 5%. Positive: greater than indicated fuel consumption (reduce indicated value).
Use engine adaptation channel 01 to fine tune.

IMMO3 users must manually write the correction value to the appropriate byte with an appropriate tool, ie VAG-tacho.

Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
What you see is normal.

Default display: Cumulative fuel economy from memory #2. ---- until the vehicle moves after resetting memory 2. Memory 1 resets after two hours with the ignition off.

200 MPG - overrun and coasting in neutral with sufficient speed.
--- - 200 MPG - normal operation.
Alright. I didn't try it on the street, and I don't have a stalk with the buttons (yet) to switch modes.

This is off a 1.8T. Do you think speedo will be correct? What car did you get yours from? Thanks

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Everything will display correctly, if the K-number is correct, which is in the original coding. It should be the same, but it's easy to check.

Mine is an IMMO2 from a Bora (Jetta) made in 2001.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Awesome! Just went around the parking lot at 25MPH (40KM/s) (lol) with VCDS on and the needle matched up perfectly to the small KM number :)

Thanks

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
is your instant fuel mileage still showing you strange numbers? say you're going around the parking lot at 25mpg with your foot on the gas (not coasting), what is it telling you?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
What was weird when I put the MFA in my 99.5 is that it would not blank out when the car was stopped. Like on my 04, if the car is idling and not moving, it will just read ---- because 0/X =0, but on the 99.5, it simply held the last instant MPG when the car was moving. I could be sitting there idling and it's telling me that I am getting 52MPG. I didn't have a stalk installed, so I couldn't toggle through the menus to see what happens to the average MPG.

Hopefully it isn't going to effect my MPG display too bad.......

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
What was weird when I put the MFA in my 99.5 is that it would not blank out when the car was stopped. Like on my 04, if the car is idling and not moving, it will just read ---- because 0/X =0, but on the 99.5, it simply held the last instant MPG when the car was moving. I could be sitting there idling and it's telling me that I am getting 52MPG. I didn't have a stalk installed, so I couldn't toggle through the menus to see what happens to the average MPG.

Hopefully it isn't going to effect my MPG display too bad.......
I had the same thing happen, but cruising, it gives me the correct MPG. ~40 @4th = 52MPG
I don't have a wiper stalk either. Going to turn off the ASR light later on...
I gave my TDI away to my pops and added the MFA today.

On another note: I hate my gas-guzzling GTI VR6. My MFA on the GTI never topped 23.5 on average after 100+ miles of HWY. :(

Last edited:

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
It's normal for the (earlier) MFAs to display the last instant FE reading (given the vehicle moved after starting) when stopped. The trip computers still record the correct average.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
It's normal for the (earlier) MFAs to display the last instant FE reading (given the vehicle moved after starting) when stopped. The trip computers still record the correct average.
Sweet! Can't wait to get the stalk. Is there a way to change modes without the stalk?

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
sure, momentarily touch the ground pin to the up or down pin of the 3 wires that will connect to the stalk.
that is: momentarily ground pin 23 or 24 of the green connector, don't make it complicated - just touch it to bare metal somewhere to ground.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
I hooked up two push buttons in the 04 so I can toggle through the menus. Never hooked up a reset button though. I really have to get that project wrapped up....

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I really have to get that project wrapped up....
Did you ever manage to get the Immo2's tach rescaled or the airbag light working for use in a 99.5 TDI?

I just bought a used 1J0920925D cluster and am debating whether to try to convert it to work in my 99.5 or whether to just cannibalize the LCD from it for use in the other car which has an LCD that fades when it gets hot.

Thanks, Greg

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I did, needed a different eeprom writing tool. Vag-tacho does not write entire eeproms on immo2 clusters for some reason. AS for the airbag light, you can code it out in the can gateway and run the circuit as pictured earlier in this thread. Now it works perfect.

The only thing I didn't do was take care of the pesky immobilizer. And I also found out that the screen fades bad so its going to need a new screen too. I kinda lost interest in the project after that and the cluster has been sitting on my shelf since.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I did, needed a different eeprom writing tool. Vag-tacho does not write entire eeproms on immo2 clusters for some reason. AS for the airbag light, you can code it out in the can gateway and run the circuit as pictured earlier in this thread. Now it works perfect.

The only thing I didn't do was take care of the pesky immobilizer. And I also found out that the screen fades bad so its going to need a new screen too. I kinda lost interest in the project after that and the cluster has been sitting on my shelf since.

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Waspie just did a cluster for me and all seems to be accurate and good. The only issue is the immo which activates but doesn't disable. A piece of electrical tape placed over the flashing immo light keeps my eyeoff it till I can find an immo coil to satisfy it.