My AHU Corrado VNT GT1749va Turbo Build Thread

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Here is why I bought the BV43
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/dyvu7u4y.jpg[/IMG
][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/u2e4erut.jpg

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've also decide to finally upgrade my brakes. The 12.3 rotors are boat anchors so I'm going to try building an 11.3 Porsche setup.

The calipers were $260 on craigslist

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Frank have you got the BV43A installed yet? This week i order my tune from Malone (Jfettig) and im ready to pull the motor and start my upgrades, let me know how you did the map and if you went to the 4 bar map or the 3 bar and left the iat where it is

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm finishing up my turbo inlet pipe and hope to drive the car for the first time next weekend on my VA tune. This morning i reached out to Mark to see what he recommends for safe tunes. I know that he is interested in the BV43 tunes as he has plans of running a BV43 in a mk3. I'll keep you posted.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Frank, make sure that doesn't happen to your new turbo! That definitely looks like something got into the turbo.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The nut came off and then bounce around. From what I have read it's somewhat common after housing contact.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
:) I might be following in your footsteps but my map has been drawn up for a while:). It is nice to have somebody blaze the path and confirm its a worthwhile destination.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
:) I might be following in your footsteps but my map has been drawn up for a while:). It is nice to have somebody blaze the path and confirm its a worthwhile destination.
Your attention to detail and obviously picky parts selection satisfies my OCD. :D I love everything you build! In fact, I just picked up a Corrado SLC - well it was given to me by a friend who gave up on it... I'm going to slap a TDI in it real quick and se how I like it. I haven't' ever owned a Corrado before, just driven a few here and there. I hope I like it as much as I like the MKII chassis. Although heavier, it is stiffer and should be quieter on the road. This car isn't nice by any means as it has quite a few dents and rust, but it should be enough for me to learn Corrados at a reasonable price. Anything I should consider while I'm playing in Corrado land?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We'll thank you, my recommendation would be to use sound deadner on the fire wall, roof and inside of the rear quarter panels. I haven't done it yet and it is required for a reasonable phone call in a TDI Corrado.

2nd recommendation is to use an ALH longblock with all the same parts you used on your mk2 swap. I think the ALH is a better piece of technology and if I hadn't found my new AHH block I would have strongly considered this.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Interesting you mention that. I like the ALH a lot too, but have always wanted a really crazy OEM look/feel/fit. The AHU allows this as it's the same block as all the earlier VW 4-cyl stuff... I think coolant hose routing and the sort will get a little odd with the ALH, but with enough attention could look very very clean as well. I do have an ALH sitting here at the house as well - wonder if I should just toss that in it. lol. :D I guess I'll see when I start messing around with them.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ALH hoses will drive you nuts, it's what I love about the AHU generation swap. If you can let go of the OEM+ it's the ultimate swap, well that and an r32 swap with a eurovan harness and ecu.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I never dynoed my gt1749va or AHU, I may if I find something in my area of Florida on maybe I'll swing by ngp the Friday before dub deliverance in August.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
IFrank, I have a friend in cal. Who can make any silicone hose you need

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
So that is what you were trying to show me when you said the cold side nut fell off.

Good luck with the brake calipers. Make sure the caliper and bracket clear the control arm when the wheel is turned all the way.

I agree that sound insulation is key if you want a Corrado TDI that is good for travelling.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, that's the picture, something is odd when I try to send iPhone pics to non-iphone people. I've already test fitted the calipers with my 17" tt wheels and my 16" tt wheels, I might need a few mm spacer with 16" but they might clear with no issues. That's a back burner project so time will tell. After I get my turbo installed and the car back in driving status I plan to yank the interior in July to fix things like sound deadening, sunroof and my spoiler.

So I was able to get my parts welded up, I decided to just use a local exhaust shop that does performance whatnot projects. They did an alright job and didn't ask much (they got good beer money;) ), it's the beginning of me getting to know the locals in Florida. The welds were destin for being ground down because I plan to have the inlet pipe black wrinkle powder coated when I do the sunroof.

I've thought about doing an exhaust CCV, but decided to focus on one project at a time. I don't mind remaking this pipe if need be, besides I like the oem look.

vwnut I may take you up on that silicone connection. My turbo outlet is an oddball size for finding a transition to 2" with a length of 4"-5" I found one that is a little sloppy, I think I might build up the turbo outlet's outer diameter by a few mm with aluminum tape. Probably a bad idea....

Ok just one last thing, I stopped work in the garage today because I'm in a new neighborhood and I didn't want to run the compressor and die-grinder for and additional 2 hours after 2 hours of inlet pipe work. The work I need to do is cleaning up the turbo'so inlets and outlets so they have smooth transitions. Do people think its wise to port the vnt turbo's hot side outlet? I've never gasket matched that side before for fear of messing up VWs engineering of air flow with the offset gasket hole/downpipe. Any thoughts?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Do people think its wise to port the vnt turbo's hot side outlet? I've never gasket matched that side before for fear of messing up VWs engineering of air flow with the offset gasket hole/downpipe. Any thoughts?
My donwnpipe uses a transition that lines up with the hole and is the same size and then goes up to 2.5" before turning down. It worked out well and I can get a deep socket on all 3 bolts now very easily so taking the down pipe off is real easy. It has worked very well for the last 60K miles.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The part that I'm curious about is the turbo's hot side as shown in the picture below. Does anybody advise for or against gasket matching the hot side of the turbo where the soot ring is?

Below are some pics of the other massaging of transitions I have performed:

greasyrides

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf - sold, 1990 Corrado TDI - sold :(

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Bringing this thread back up from the dead...

Anybody have a source for the turbo support bracket that was used? 028145535E? WorldImpex lists is as NLA.