Glow Plug (on) burn time

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
Sorry, this has come up a lot but I still haven't gotten an answer.

Is there any way to find out how long the glow plugs should activate when it's cold out. Yesterday was 12 degrees F when I started my 2006 Jetta TDI and plugs should definitely burn. The questions is, how long do they burn? I want to warm up my cylinders as long as possible before turning it over.

Does Vag-Com have somewhere that will tell you they are burning and when they shut off? I've tried looking at my lights to see if they dim while the GP's burn and get brighter when they shut off, but I have yet to see any difference.

I cycled the key twice, first was for 10 seconds and again for another 10 seconds and it started with a ton of white smoke.

No codes in Vag-Com and I put in new GP's last Winter and tested last night and all have continuity.

Just hoping there is some new data regarding the "burn time" that I can not find.

Thanks

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Sorry, this has come up a lot but I still haven't gotten an answer.

Is there any way to find out how long the glow plugs should activate when it's cold out. Yesterday was 12 degrees F when I started my 2006 Jetta TDI and plugs should definitely burn. The questions is, how long do they burn? I want to warm up my cylinders as long as possible before turning it over.

Does Vag-Com have somewhere that will tell you they are burning and when they shut off? I've tried looking at my lights to see if they dim while the GP's burn and get brighter when they shut off, but I have yet to see any difference.

I cycled the key twice, first was for 10 seconds and again for another 10 seconds and it started with a ton of white smoke.

No codes in Vag-Com and I put in new GP's last Winter and tested last night and all have continuity.

Just hoping there is some new data regarding the "burn time" that I can not find.

Thanks
Which plugs did you put? I know that some were lower voltage and some higher. My 2006 uses the lower voltage fast glow plugs, I think some may use the 12 volt ones, but I think you have to look that up by Vin. The cheaper ones are often the 12 volt, and the 5 volt ceramic ones are often quite a bit more.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
I believe they were 5 volt Meyle plugs. Part #:N10579201MY from Autohaus. Bought them matching my VIN number.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I believe they were 5 volt Meyle plugs. Part #:N10579201MY from Autohaus. Bought them matching my VIN number.
Good, I know it's a common mistake to put the wrong ones in. I did it myself. [emoji23]
I know I saw something with the glow plug time in vag-com the other day. I was used to Autel but just got vag-com, so I'm not real good with it yet. But there is a setting in there to change the times and etc.
How's the glow plug harnesses?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Are there any glow plug related codes?