In the market to buy my wife a TDI Beetle

jgage916

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI auto
This is my first post here, if I'm on a forum its usually Cumminsforum. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins, and she had 95 Dodge 2500 Cummins until recently, we didn't have full coverage so when she wrecked it we were just out a vehicle. Long story short, my truck is now paid for and honestly we don't need 2 trucks. So she wants a Diesel beetle. I've read most of the FAQS, I have knowledge of diesels, I'm a diesel mechanics son so I inherited the diesel love, but I know nothing about TDIs and certainly nothing about a beetle. Are there any particular years of the beetle that has any particular thing I need to look lookout for? I'm changing the timing belt and fluids as soon as we get one just for the peice of mind, but since ill probably have to buy one with a a little higher miles are there any high-mileage, TDI specific things to look out for? I know that a lot of that was mentioned in the FAQs but I also noticed much of that was poated a few years back....so any new developments? Any tips, great TDI stories ... help a new TDI guy out, lol

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The main thing is, avoid any VW with an automatic transmission from the 2003-or-earlier model years. The automatic transmissions from 2004 and later are okay... but if she prefers a manual transmission then that's definitely the way to go.

jgage916

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI auto
Crap. Lol, she can drive a manual fine, rows gears in my 6speed Cummins like a pro....but she wants the auto...crap. So the autos are junk. Hmm I wonder if I can change her mind.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The 04+ beetles use a DSG trans which is decent(needs 40K servicing though), but the dual mass flywheels are prone to failure. There's an updated part for it although it remains to be seen if its actually any better.

03s and earlier use the 01M 4 speed torque converter auto which is a crap pile. Can't be rebuilt and a reman costs $4000 from VW. Most people swap to a manual trans intead. The VE pumped engines are highly regarded here though.

04+ uses camshaft actuated unit injectors. Only problem with the design is that they narrowed the valve lobes to make room for the injector lobes and cam wear issues result form using 30wt oils. Synthetic XW-40 oils are a must in these engines.