www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old November 1st, 2019, 14:15   #181
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
AM General still builds the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (otherwise known as the "Humvee") for the military, both ours as well as our allies still use them.
Also, the Optimizer is available in the aftermarket. It is a popular upgrade for folks who love their older GM diesel C/K trucks as well as some P-vans (later known as Workhorse, until GM sold that division and was eventually taken over by Navistar).
Because most all the old 6.5L cores are no good for rebuilding, and the Optimizer is an easy drop in replacement for all of the older engines, and can be configured for both turbo and non-turbo arrangements. I have a customer with a '91 2500 Suburban that has one. It is not a 7.3L PS Excursion, but it gets the job done and has covered over 200k miles since install and the engine has needed nothing but oil and filter changes and a drive belt. That's it. They increased the oil capacity from 7 quarts to 10.5, it has a water pump that flows 50% more, and a much more robust block and cylinder head casting. He tows his race car and trailer all over the place with it. The 4L80E transmission has been rebuilt/replaced several times. The last time it got some fancy controller that is supposed to make it last longer, I think that has helped it a lot. There is a kit to convert these over to an Allison transmission but it involves a body lift for clearance on the GMT800 chassis.
Navistar was casting the block and heads, not sure if they still are. I have one here for my 1984 GM Van that I built a turbo kit for, did run 20 psi, mpg and fun factor went up. They also love WMO brews with injector mods.

Miss that van, but needed a truck more.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 21:10   #182
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Brian,
I am continually amazed at the wealth of information that we all get from you. For someone that is more of a turn the key and drive car person, it's great to get a glimpse into the minutia of the automotive workings.

Hear hear! And often with a humorous take.
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 23:46   #183
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Hear hear! And often with a humorous take.
Welcome back :P