02M vs 02Q clutch/flywheel differences?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm considering installing a 02Q LHD code six speed trans from a common rail into my mkiv golf (I'm aware of the speed sensor issue) ....looking online I see the DMF and clutch both have different part numbers between the 02M and 02Q .... I would like to run the 02Q dmf and clutch on my mkiv because they can be had cheap with very low mileage.... has anyone used the 02Q CR dmf/clutch with a 02M ....if it doesn't work what are the differences? thanks!

Last edited:

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Robby and I were working on a 02Q equipped CR. I needed the trans out so I could put a diff in it, and he needed the motor to hang in the car so he could replace a bent rod. I said "lets bolt up this empty 02M". Well, aside from it not really lining up (trans mount different), the 02Q clutch ran into the bell housing. No harm, no foul, but the clutches aren't compatible even though from a glance it looks like they should be.

It was the clutch fingers hitting the bell housing BTW. There were differences between the offset between the pressure plate mounting surface and the friction surface as well.

Last edited:

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
thanks aNUT !... so i shouldn't have an issue running a 02Q trans and 02Q flywheel/clutch in my mkiv as long as i get the mount and speed sensor sorted
I think, but do not KNOW that is accurate.

rastaforte

TDI
2006 BRM DSG Jetta
Conclusions?

thanks aNUT !... so i shouldn't have an issue running a 02Q trans and 02Q flywheel/clutch in my mkiv as long as i get the mount and speed sensor sorted
Hi, how did that 02Q end up fitting to your MKIV?
Were there any issues you had to resolve?
thanks....

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What work was needed? Was it known (by Frans) what was needed before you bought it?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
What work was needed? Was it known (by Frans) what was needed before you bought it?
i absolutely knew it needed work before i bought it... it had excessive input shaft axial play and the bottom of the case had a small hole from some kind of impact... inside of the trans was perfect so i reshimmed the input and repaired the case ... it's been working great for over a year now ... i did buy a second "unknown" 02M from Frans but it had fried gears from lack of oil so it was basically scrap ...i still had to pay for it but it was cheap and i ended up trading the core to Aaron (bora) for some parts