P0299 Power Loss issue on 2003 Jetta Wagon

millsap2

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon with 221K miles on it. Two days ago I noticed that I was not getting the normal "boost" of power after the RPM's top 2000 as normal. I can slowly get up to speed but it takes longer than normal. Once up to speed, I don't have issues maintaining speed (even into high winds) but it's a slow process accelerating. Today, my check engine came on and the code reads as P0299.

Does anyone have good pictures of the whole Turbo and related valve setup that could guide me through checking all of the things that could be wrong before I go and dump $2K on a new Tubro. Checking the forum, it looks like it could be a number of things (like holes in the hoses or vacuum lines) but I can't find any good how to's with photos to guide me through.

Any help is most appreciated.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Goes to the side of the airbox. Under kinda near the MAF - you'll see a nipple on the airbox for it. Plug it in and you should be all set. :)

That's the cause of your limp mode. Just slide it on - it won't come back off

millsap2

TDI
I've looked all over the air filter box and around the MAF and can't find a spot where this would connect. Does anyone have a picture?

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
On the side where the large "snorkle"/air pipe attaches. Feel bellow that. Look around. it's there.

If you can't find it still, unplug the MAF, disconnect tube to airbox, and undo the two 10mm bolts holding the airbox in. Remove the airbox, at this point if you haven't done your air filter in 40K miles you might as well do it now. Now look at the airbox. You'll find it.

Last edited:

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
DO NOT get suckered into a new turbo. You have been sucking dirty air and moisture into your vacuum system. The link in my signature should help you diagnose your problem. Also have you ever cleaned the intake?

millsap2

TDI
Okay, more information. I've re-connected the line to the air box with no improvement. I can't hear my beloved turbo wind up at all. I then ran the car for a few minutes, turned it off and waited a minute, and disconnected the vacuum line from the ball (Item #12 in the schematic of your link). It still had good suction when I took the hose off even after more than 1 minute of sitting time.

I have not replaced the vacuum lines yet but given the fact the system is holding a vacuum, that seems low probability. Is the next step replacement of the N75 (and vacuum lines just in case)?

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Try cleaning the N75 valve first with some brake cleaner.. spray it in the inlet and catch it with a rag on the outlet side. I had the line come loose..er didn't reconnect it:rolleyes: and had driven on gravel roads.. got some crude out of it and it improved things for me..

millsap2

TDI
All, thanks for the great help. I finally got this fixed by replacing the actuator which had become rusted in place. As a side note: the trouble shooting guide indicates that if the actuator does not hold a vacuum, it is bad. This may be true but mine DID hold a vacuum, it was just rusted into place. Upon actuator replacement, the car is working like new. I also have a new N75 valve and vacuum lines so hopefully I'm set for the next 200K miles

A special thanks to Martin Bergel for giving me key tips over the phone and pointing me to idparts.com to find parts.