whats the best LSD to buy for 02M ?

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
there are 3 options: peloquin, quaiffe or wavetrac. i've read somewhere that the wavetrac's are much more advanced, but seeing as i have no idea how a limited slip diff works (it's just a bunch of cogs to me!) can someone explain the differences and what is the best to buy?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Having never heard of wavetrac :O I can only compare the first two and from my fairly limited understanding Peloquin is more VAG biased and is made the same if not better than Quaife, but is also a fair bit cheaper too.

PS: I love my Peloquin to death and could not live with an open diff TDI now (at least not with my power - I can imagine same with your power too)

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
All three operate under the same principles, with Wavetrac being the newest on the market, and offers the most marketing hype.

Discounting all the salesman type mumbo jumbo, they are all essentially the same design based off the original torsen gear based units.

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
agreed, all pretty much work the same, remember reading that quaife didn't have the patent for the states and so peloquin made it.
Think u have to change the bolts in the peloquin for stronger versions, could be wrong though.:D

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
numbnuts said:
agreed, all pretty much work the same, remember reading that quaife didn't have the patent for the states and so peloquin made it.
Think u have to change the bolts in the peloquin for stronger versions, could be wrong though.:D
I think you're thinking of the OBX differentials. Those are ultra-cheap and some have said it is best to change the bolts in them. From my perspective though, the Peloquin isn't much more and I'd rather be sure I don't have to take the trans back apart again. I've had both Quaife and Peloquin differentials and I think they're both great. Peloquin definitely wins based on price though.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
vwmikel said:
I've had both Quaife and Peloquin differentials and I think they're both great. Peloquin definitely wins based on price though.
This sums it up in a nutshell to be honest, at least until some research is done on the wavetrac. Noticed wavetrac is $995 on their website, Peloquin I think was a little bit more when I bought one 3 years ago or so.

Last edited:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
I do not know enough about these diffs to have an opinion. Reading about the Wavetrac it sounds like it covers more sceneiros than the Quaife or Peloquin, but I cannot find enough info from folks that are running them.

Here is some reading:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3835523

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
money always matters!

anybody in the UK interested in a group buy? i've emailed wavetrac and been put through to their UK dealer and he seemed confident we'd get a good discount for only 5 LSD's. also e-mailed quaife but no reply yet

T. Spark

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Ibiza TDi
I already have one, but can think of atleast one member of IbizaOC that wants one sharpish. Id imagine a couple more would be atleast interested, I could throw it up on there when you get details if it helps mate.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
my bro 'may' one one for his 5 speed if the price is right!

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
group buy seems unlikely, quaife want £585 + VAT and are not budging on the price, regal(wavetrac dealer) want £810 (!!) for one, and if we get 5 buyers they will knock 10% off and 10 buyers they will knock 15% off but even then it's still just the same price as a wavetrac from PSI tuning which costs £675 for one. they also are not budging on the price!

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
fenwick458 said:
group buy seems unlikely, quaife want £585 + VAT and are not budging on the price, regal(wavetrac dealer) want £810 (!!) for one, and if we get 5 buyers they will knock 10% off and 10 buyers they will knock 15% off but even then it's still just the same price as a wavetrac from PSI tuning which costs £675 for one. they also are not budging on the price!
Fen just watch yourself if your going to deal with Regal mate.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=228427

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
I am also interested in this topic, as I want to purchase a diff.
Unfortunately I don't really know how/where to find one for my car (Audi A6, 2.5TDi, AAT engine code, 85Kw). Can someone help me and at least tell me what kind of gear box code I have?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

sam_51

Veteran Member
TDI
115pd swap FOR 150pd
if there is a group buy i might be able to get somin goin with quaife i have a possible contact... keep me posted wwith what happens i would be up for this group by either way

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Leo__ said:
I am also interested in this topic, as I want to purchase a diff.
Unfortunately I don't really know how/where to find one for my car (Audi A6, 2.5TDi, AAT engine code, 85Kw). Can someone help me and at least tell me what kind of gear box code I have?

Thanks a lot,
Chris
You have either an 01A (012) or 01E.

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
regal have said they are going to try and beat PSI's price, the guy there says he's going to get in touch with wavetrac and see what they can do. quaife have said theres no discount available 585 + VAT FIRM!
sam what contacts you got with quaife and have you asked about prices?
and scott how much would the peloquin ones be shipped to the UK for a group buy of 5?

sam_51

Veteran Member
TDI
115pd swap FOR 150pd
its a chap i know he is seeing the daughter of mr quaife... i will have to get his number and see what he can do he has been able to do really good deals before and i no that he managed to get my garage good prices before... but with things now a days might not be possible... i will ask th question and get back to you

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
I have ordered a wavetrac LSD, but it's still not arrived and it's been 6 weeks now so i'm thinking of cancelling it and getting a quaife, anybody know where i can buy a quaife LSD in the UK, and do they come with the bolts/fitting kit?

sam_51

Veteran Member
TDI
115pd swap FOR 150pd
they dont come with the fitting it witch is a pain.. im looking at buying one at the moment i will ask my friend what he can do if i get a few. hes doin me a good deal but thats mates rates( I no i said before but i only asked him the other week been to busy with the car).. my prob is im not sure if i have the spare cash at the moment.. but i will email him later on

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Peloquinn seems a better option, i've been ordering a lot of small new parts lately and they take the piss with delivery, been waiting for an armrest for a customer for 2 months now. Can't believe how bad some companies are!!!

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Patience Ryan.....I have a peloquin installed and it takes some getting used to in the turns it wants to pull you

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
keeping this up........waiting for some wavetrac owners to chime in on thier thoughts. Would be nice to hear from someone who has owned a Quaife/Peloquin and changed to a wavetrac.