BRM Camshaft Replacement

Rezer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So having noticed my fuel economy steadily decline over the past year or two with no real explanation, I finally decided to take a half hour to check my camshaft at 144k miles. Sure enough, even though the engine sounds just fine all the exhaust valve lobes are worn well past the chamfered edge.

I decided to get a colt cam from kermatdi, if just for the 300k warranty. Does anybody know if it's worth it to get the stage 3 over the stage 2, and are there any potential down sides I should be aware of? i.e. potential early wear of other components, etc.

Also, I see VW# T10051 recommended for removing the camshaft pulley. Since I already have one laying around, does anybody know if the metalnerd counterhold used for the timing belt change, Part MN3036, will work for this? I'm sure I can bodge something together to avoid buying the tool, but I just thought I'd ask :D

Thanks!

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
With higher lift the stage 3 will put more stress on the system than stage 2. Unless you are throwing tons of money at head porting, turbos, nozzles and all the trimmings I wouldn't bother, you won't see the benefit.

The pulley is super easy to get off the cam once it is out of the head with a not-too-hard smack with a deadblow hammer to the back side of it. No puller needed. Just make sure the pulley is being held an inch or so over a bench when you do it so it doesn't fall.

Rezer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks, I thought that might be the case. Made the mistake of letting myself think "if stage 2 is good, stage 3 must be better!". Oh well...

As for the counterhold tool, I was thinking one thing and writing another. I know about the trick to remove it, what I should have asked is if the metalnerd tool is a suitable replacement for counterholding the pulley while tightening it back on.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
The Metalnerd counterhold tool works great. Surely a suitable tool could be easily made, but for the price and as often as I use mine I am glad I bought it. While you could get away with using a properly sized drill bit for cam position, the crank locator tool in Metalnerd's kit is an absolute must.

VTJoe79

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
I just did this install this past weekend with the Stage II from kerma TDI and yes I agree with A5INKY you don't need the T10051 or the puller. It was surprisingly easy actually to get the cam hub off with a 3/8 extension, hammer and a decent smack. The Metalnerd tool worked great!