Brm block bhw pistons bew head

Jazer3

TDI
05 tdi golf 12 tdi golf
I bought an 06 TDI Jetta and the guy ran it with almost no oil until a piston shattered and a valve snapped, the head is garbage but the bottom end is still good. it already has a stage 1 tune I just want to build a durable medium power fuel efficient engine that I can upgrade more later, it needs to pass smog here in California. The block will need at least bored .30 probably .60 over so I was thinking of making it a 2.0 TDI by boring .90 over and using bhw pistons since no matter what I will need new pistons. I'm thinking of using a used bew head so I get the better injectors and lower compression ratio so I can run higher boost and run less risk of cracking the head with the extended injection cycle of the current tune and any tune I get in the future. I live in an extremely warm climate so hard starts won't be a problem. All the research I've done says this will go together easily. I'm assuming the valve cover, intake, and exhaust will mount to this new head the same I may port the divided intake runners. Does anyone know of anything I'm missing that's going to stop me in my tracks after I get started?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
comp ratio is piston dependant rather than head dependant

iirc bhw pistons got really expensive lately
been looking for a set of ARLs and I'm kind of shocked where I thought $400 for the set I got a while back was high...

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Pistons have been deceptively cheap for many years...they should be 800\set. 400-500 is a gift...and they are available...not like a decade or so ago where there were no pistons available worldwide except at the dealer. I would consider getting a BHW bottom end if you want to save some dough...then the head of your choice.

Jazer3

TDI
05 tdi golf 12 tdi golf
Hey 406 generally yes pistons dictate compression ratio but bew head valves are recessed so the pistons don't need valve recesses so by using a piston with valve recesses I am lowering the compression ratio. I would get a piston with out valve recesses but I don't think one exists that fits. Bhw pistons are really expensive but I don't know of another 2.0 piston that fits. I heard the 2.5 pistons fit but I'm still researching that.

Jazer3

TDI
05 tdi golf 12 tdi golf
Pistons have been deceptively cheap for many years...they should be 800\set. 400-500 is a gift...and they are available...not like a decade or so ago where there were no pistons available worldwide except at the dealer. I would consider getting a BHW bottom end if you want to save some dough...then the head of your choice.
I understand why you'd recommend the bhw bottom end but since I'm not going to exceed the capacity of the brm bottom I think it will be better for gaining highest rpm power band since it's less rotating mass at the connecting rod. I just bought a bew head complete with injectors used, I may deck the head to better the compression ratio, since there is somewhat of a combustion chamber under the valves since they are recessed and since the pistons I'm adding have valve reliefs but I'm not sure I know how to figure out how much I should remove.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
BEW bottom end is very strong. Sounds like a plan going with the BHW pistons and BEW head, would give you a lower compression but why would you want that?

Jazer3

TDI
05 tdi golf 12 tdi golf
BEW bottom end is very strong. Sounds like a plan going with the BHW pistons and BEW head, would give you a lower compression but why would you want that?
I needed a head and injectors and I found a complete bew head for super cheap. I'm not trying to have lower compression but I also don't see it being much of an issue considering bew heads are prone to cracks figured I'd get the smallest head gasket and maybe deck the head. I'm also thinking about putting a brm cam in the bew head but I don't know if that's a good idea.