Bad day...

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
On my way to pick up the kiddos from school, I hit a bit of traffic that appeared to clear out after a mile or so, then BAM! Everyone is on the brakes. I was accelerating when I saw brake lights again, and wasn't able to stop in time.
Soooo, now my front is busted. Hood is bent and crinkled. Mounting tabs for the headlights are busted. Core support is pushed back (hood release doesn't work). Grille is broken at the mounting tabs. And, bumper cover is broken.

I have a $500 deductible, and my car will be back to normal, but I Have alaways liked the Getta conversion (especially on the wagons) and am considering repairing myself and doing the conversion.

Thoughts?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the wagon looks sooooooo much better with a golf front end. take your time and find a rear-end victim and do it. it's a fair bit of time (just sourcing etc) but the actual work is easy. do it. i'm fixing my bro's car (mk4 jetta he rear ended someome) been thinking about that as well. just depends on if i can find all the parts in one swoop would be the decision maker for me, since he doesn't really care either way and i'm the one doing the work :)

Last edited:

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm hitting the salvage yard this weekend to see if there are good donors.

Jake

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
it's worth it. that damage is minor compared to my brothers car and even his the most complicated thing i need to replace is the radiator. he rear-ended someone with a high tow-hitch, so the AC condenser is actually still just fine. but still needs new metal impact bumper, rad support, hood latch, hood, headlights (only because all the tabs broke - they were euros so i took them out and saved the innards)

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Luckily the radiator and condenser are fine. I drove it 20+ miles home afterwards.

Jake

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
so, easy peasy :) you can take your time to find the right color. however, it might not be a bad idea to just replace the rad, i dunno. it would be annoying to find out 3 months later the radiator did suffer a stress and then burst at that most inconvenient time... new OEM valeo ones can be had for $120 shipped i'd think about that

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked prices at the local salvage yard, and I can get all the parts (fenders, hood, grill, bumper cover, core support, headlights, and front bumper reinforcement [not sure if I need it yet]) for ~$260.
Now I need to walk their lot and see if they have a suitable donor

Jake

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
I Walked the local salvage yard, and they had 5 New Beetles (mostly gutted), 3 B5 Passats (mostly complete), one MKIV Jetta (front stripped) and one Cabrio (barely touched).

I don't have much time this weekend to scour the other yards, but one does show two MKIV Jetta's on their website. I'll check them out later this week.

Jake

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I have golf headlights if you want.. PM me

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Deejaaa,
I'm searching ye old Craigslist right now. I found a couple of possible donor cars, but I want to stay below my deductible ($500) so that I can justify doing the work myself instead of letting the insurance company handle the repairs

Jake

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Yup, even spending 1k is worth not getting your insurance company involved. Trust me. If you can do the work yourself, which you obviously can in this case, do it.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm getting hesitant about swapping over to a Golf front (overthinking, it's what I do), and want to know if the Golf (or GTI) provide better lighting than the stock Jetta assemblies?

I did a google search, and had no luck.

Jake

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
I definitely want better lighting, and fogs, as well. The Jetta assemblies were OK, but when traveling the backroads to my parents I could've used better lights.

Jake

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'll spray the wagon matte white after I swap the front clip.

Jake

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
i am using my stock jetta lights but installed glass lens and Lamin-x. bright and OEM. i won't use anything else again.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
CoolAir, It'll def buff out with a new front clip.

So, I have zero luck finding a golf/GTI front clip in good condition, or a donor car. I came across this 01 GLX VR6 Jetta.. I'm tempted to get it and scavenge the body parts I need and the front and rear suspension bits as upgrades.
http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/5044782000.html

Jake

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it has all the MKIV goodies not offered with the TDI's, and it has factory fogs..

Now I wonder how low they'll go on price...

Jake

InSaNeBoY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Although I think there may be compatibility glitches as that's an '01. Better if you found an '03+ for the GLX goodies, I'm sure there are others that know those issues better than I. Fogs are nice, first thing I got for mine was a set of GLI headlights.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
New headlight assemblies are in. I ordered a set of E-codes from fleabay seller Ipex. I was pleasantly surprised to see the "Hella" mark scraped off.
I still need to replace the core support, grille, and bumper cover. The rebar looks fine, so that's a plus.

Pics of the scraped branding.

Jake

Last edited: