Where to buy Cat-1R-0750 locally? (Bay Area - South Bay/Peninsula)

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Anybody know where I can buy a Cat 1R-0750 fuel filter in the SF Bay Area? Preferably in the South Bay or Peninsula?

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Anybody know where I can buy a Cat 1R-0750 fuel filter in the SF Bay Area? Preferably in the South Bay or Peninsula?
Go to http://www.cat.com
Click on "Find a dealer" in the upper right corner.
On the next page enter your Address, City, State or Postal Code. I checked "On-Highway Truck Engines" in the box below, since that's the normal application for the filter.
Click the Find Locations button to get a list of Cat dealers near you, complete with phone numbers and hours of operation.
Go to whatever dealer is most convenient, give them money, they give you the filter...

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Go to http://www.cat.com
Click on "Find a dealer" in the upper right corner.
On the next page enter your Address, City, State or Postal Code. I checked "On-Highway Truck Engines" in the box below, since that's the normal application for the filter.
Click the Find Locations button to get a list of Cat dealers near you, complete with phone numbers and hours of operation.
Go to whatever dealer is most convenient, give them money, they give you the filter...
Already tried that. The nearest one is 30 bumper to bumper traffic jammed miles away.

I ordered one online...was just trying to get the job done today...It'll have to wait for the weekend.

Thanks

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I can drop one in the mail to you today from Chico...will get there tomorrow, but may not be worth it..

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
I can drop one in the mail to you today from Chico...will get there tomorrow, but may not be worth it..
Thanks for the offer. I've decided to just remove the Cat fuel filter for now and run a stock filter till I can sort some things out.

I found a local source that sells a Wix equivalent and was going to run that even though it is a bit bigger in diameter (doesn't fit in the bracket...or I'd have to widen it a bit). That Cat fuel filter is torqued down like crazy. I had a REAL hard time removing it from the filter head. strap wrenches didn't have enough friction to spin the filter off the head. I was able to finally get it off and noticed that one of the banjo bolts was a little loose.

I've read a bunch of posts where people had trouble torquing the banjo bolts down enough and thus getting air into the fuel line. I decided that I should get new washers and retorque the banjo bolts to spec...or maybe just run the stock filter because replacing the Cat filter is a pain in the rear for me...

Thanks for your generous offer.

AngelaS76

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/Premium
OnePutt...I have a European car place right near me that may have what your looking for..If you can get me a part # or something they are open tomorrow and I can stop in and check for you...

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
I bought my used TDI in Paradise CA and immediately did the mod to CAT fuel filter some 40K ago. I dropped by a Cat dealership in the states and they sold me as many filters as I wanted. Parts.Cat.com has parts online. In Alaska just about everything arrives by barge so I keep one filter on hand. That 1R-0750 filter is stock for CAT's. Shouldn't be hard to get. Do not toque the filter on, there is no reason for that kind of tension. Grease the seal with a little fuel before installation to ease placement. I have done a road side type filter replacement with no issues. Once the banjo bolts are in place I have never touch them and I have not had any problems with air in the line. You are right about using a strap to remove a tough filter install. My improve was to take a C clamp to the filter and twist the old filter off. Install was hand snugged torque. This has been my experience.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I bought my used TDI in Paradise CA and immediately did the mod to CAT fuel filter some 40K ago. I dropped by a Cat dealership in the states and they sold me as many filters as I wanted. Parts.Cat.com has parts online. In Alaska just about everything arrives by barge so I keep one filter on hand. That 1R-0750 filter is stock for CAT's. Shouldn't be hard to get. Do not toque the filter on, there is no reason for that kind of tension. Grease the seal with a little fuel before installation to ease placement. I have done a road side type filter replacement with no issues. Once the banjo bolts are in place I have never touch them and I have not had any problems with air in the line. You are right about using a strap to remove a tough filter install. My improve was to take a C clamp to the filter and twist the old filter off. Install was hand snugged torque. This has been my experience.
When were you in Paradise? Did you get the filter kit from Caterpillar in Chico?

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Do not toque the filter on, there is no reason for that kind of tension. Grease the seal with a little fuel before installation to ease placement. I have done a road side type filter replacement with no issues. Once the banjo bolts are in place I have never touch them and I have not had any problems with air in the line. You are right about using a strap to remove a tough filter install. My improve was to take a C clamp to the filter and twist the old filter off. Install was hand snugged torque. This has been my experience.
Interesting. the torque spec on the CAT box says hand tight + 1 full revolution. Man...that's A LOT of torque.

I'm running the stock filter for now. I'll revisit this in 20k. stock filter seems fine, I'm not sure what the true benefits of the 2 micron filter are. I get it...better filter, but haven't read anything yet that shows the stock filter is not sufficient.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback.

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
Found and bought my TDI Aug. 2007 in Paradise CA, drove back to Portland OR and did the filter convert there. The previous owner had this GLS serviced in Chico. I do not torque my CAT filter on. My thinking is the TDI does not have to deal with the abuse of a tractor and so I do not go by the filter specs. A little fuel lube on the seal and snug it tight. I do look for any seepage and if there was any I would give it a little more turn. All good by me. Ran 20K before changing filters, $17 a piece in PDX. Maybe my hands are strong? (grin)