Longevity of 2nd hand Cylinder head vs Brand New Head

andrewkontos

TDI
2002 White MKIV TDI, 2003 Black MKIV TDI
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if I could get your opinions on the long term solution. I'm having to replace a lot of the internal work of my tdi due to timing belt failure and camshaft failure due to the previous owners lack of maintenance. I am wanting to keep it for 500-600k miles. Just wondering if you think there is an advantage to paying more for a new head(Bora Parts has a sale on them righ now or I wouldn't be interested in the new one due to cost.). Thanks y'all in advance.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The used head on my car has almost 300k miles on it ..........oops, just being a little facetious!

As suggested, I'd do a rebuilt from Franko6, unless you can find a used one that you know for certain has never been run hot and has low miles! Anything else used is just a shot in the dark!

andrewkontos

TDI
Have you thought about sending your existing head to Franko6 for a rebuild?
I forgot to mention that sorry, I definitely would be interested in Frank06 I have heard nothing but great things about his work. Is the turnaround time pretty fast? In the long run do you believe a rebuilt head is just as good as a brand new head? Sorry just wanting to get up and running forever.

andrewkontos

TDI
Very true brother, another used head might just be an identical situation to the one I currently have.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
First, thanks guys...

It is Franko6... not ZERO-SIX.

We always try to turn the heads around fast. Sometimes there is a glut of heads that come all at the same time and that slows us down. Other times, there are heads that require some extra effort. Most often, we turn the heads around in 7-10 days.

Some people slow US down... we do need everything to get the head done right. For instance, cam caps and nuts are necessary to complete our inspection. Payment is made before shipping.

Usually, shipping time by UPS is the longest part of the delay, as it's 4 days from the coasts. If you send us your contact information: Name, address, phone #, email address, year and model of vehicle, we send an estimate of repairs and a downloadable .pdf UPS shipping label. That way you can take advantage of our discounted shipping rates.

As for longevity, we have many heads that we have reconditioned that have over 250,000 miles. 'Nuff said...

Call if you have any particular questions.