Poor mpg, noise/tick/rattle symptoms help diagnose

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
I'm at 58k miles, the vehicle was purchased at the dealer certified used with 44k miles and the 45k mile checkup completed. All last year, everything was great, then this winter I started noticing a decrease in millage but I wrote it off as winterized fuel issues. I also noticed sometimes a noise on acceleration, a ticking sound maybe but not strong (less than road noise usually). But now that the weather has gotten better, I still have terrible fuel economy. I just replaced my fuel filter (ala this thread) but I doubt that had anything to do with the ticking sound. With the hood up, I also noticed a kind of rattle coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Now it is my understanding that my 2003 Wagon has a 100k mile timing belt in it, but I pulled the cover and took some photos (below) and it looks ok, still taut. At the TDIFest last August someone helped me turn my EGR down and said my timing was centered (of course I got better fuel economy then). I notice two things about the belt. First there is some dust on the cover, not a lot though. And second, the top berring in the center doesn't turn by my fingers (should it?) but does have scuff marks on it.

Sorry if this is kind of vague. It was nice to be outside though and a few passers by asked about the car, so I told the about TDIClub.com.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Re: Poor mpg, noise/tick/rattle symptoms help diag

Well a little dust is typical, nothing to worry about. With the tension on the belt it is doubtful that you can manually turn in of the idlers.

What is more important is to look at the tab in the timing belt tensionner and make sure it is still engaged as it is self adjusting if and only if the tab is still in the notch.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

The coating on the top roller is easily cleaned. I suggest taking a flat head screw driver and with the engine running shave the build up off like you would with a lathe. Then take some fine sand paper (500 grit or more) and polish it up.

Verify the tensioner tooth and groove are aligned. At 45K you probably need to retension it and check the mechanical injection timing.

DB

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Make an appointment to see HermTDI.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP

TornadoRed, I should and it isn't that far a drive, but is that more of a "you should" or "you absolutely need to"?

Is there anyone around the Boston area that could help me out/just take a look at it with me before I go up to see Herm?

Thanks,

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

TornadoRed, I should and it isn't that far a drive, but is that more of a "you should" or "you absolutely need to"?
It's more of a "you should." Nothing better than having a real pro check out your car. I think what you're looking for is a higher level of confidence that there's nothing seriously wrong -- or a reliable diagnosis that something IS wrong. Harvieux is the guy I rely on out here -- Herm is probably the best guy in your neighborhood.

And, it's a good reason to go for a drive Down East.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP

Yep, I think the drive up would be wise at this point. New symptom: Car is difficult to start initially. The past 2 days it took about 5-10 seconds of cranking to get it to catch. Once it catches and I drive for 5 min, if I shut it down it starts right back up. It doesn't appear to be electrical or heat related (warm days, and I was running a zerostart for the mornings).

What is the best way to contact Herm?

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP

Leaving work today, it took about 15 seconds of cranking to start. This does not bode well.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP

I posted a request for contact info in the East coast forum and got that. But a few people have recommended that I take the vechicle into a dealer since it is still under warrenty. I'll try to get it in on Monday first thing in the morning.

Thank you everyone for your help.