I'm perplexed-New Medal bag for key fob works and then fails

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
New signal block case for key fob works and then fails??

Ok, I'm confused. I have TDI S (no push button start). I just got the signal blocking cases from Amazon.
I parked put the key fob deep into the bag like I was supposed to and locked it in the glove dept with my cut key.
Closed the door, popped off handle cover and locked door with cut key. All doors locked. Then turned key opposite direction and all doors unlocked, so signal block working. Did this a few more times and then locked door, replaced handle cover and went for a run.
When I get back 45-50 min later, I pop off the key fob handle and unlock the car and sure enough, only the driver's door unlocks. Can't open the hatch or any other door. This behavior has now happened twice. Works initially and then nope. I've even tried putting the fob in the hatch. Nope.
Just don't get while it working correctly at first and then an hour later, no joy.
Any smart people know why?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Medal? like Olympic medals?

Is this a Kessy system or keyed system?

The KESSY system is asleep after a set time, using the cut key to manually unlock the car, I'm guessing it's using the "mechanical unlock" (just one door) not the electronic unlock (all doors). There's a fail safe system so you can unlock the drivers door mechanically if the car battery has died. Same probably applies even if you don't have kessy.

So honestly I don't think you're noticing any issues.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Medal? like Olympic medals?

Is this a Kessy system or keyed system?

The KESSY system is asleep after a set time, using the cut key to manually unlock the car, I'm guessing it's using the "mechanical unlock" (just one door) not the electronic unlock (all doors). There's a fail safe system so you can unlock the drivers door mechanically if the car battery has died. Same probably applies even if you don't have kessy.

So honestly I don't think you're noticing any issues.
No KESSY. I have a key ignition (TDI S).
I have the Car Key signal blocker case that's supposed to completely block the signal from the fob.

When that happens I should be able to use my cut key to unlock and lock all doors. That's what happens initially when I lock/unlock doors with key in the case. But 45 min later, it behaves differently and doesn't allow it. What good is the blocker case then?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SFPGNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
like he said, the comfort convenience system is still active when you first leave the car so when it detects an unlock it opens all the doors.

after some time, the system goes to sleep since it hasn't seen a signal from the key you have in the bag and apparently your new cut key doesn't send a signal either, so when you unlock the drivers door, the system is asleep still. if you turn the key in the lock twice do all of the locks disengage?

sounds to me like the bag is doing its job and allowing the system to go to sleep like it should.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The real test of the bag is to stand outside the car, press unlock of lock button through the bag, if the signal can escape it'll unlock/lock the car (regardless of the state of the BCM asleep or not) it the bag works nothing will happen with the car.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I genuinely have zero idea what you’re trying to accomplish with this case or why you’d want it.

Just so you can carry a single less bulky key when you run?

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I genuinely have zero idea what you’re trying to accomplish with this case or why you’d want it.
Just so you can carry a single less bulky key when you run?
Yes, exactly. Which I do. I always run with cut key. Running an hour to 2 hours with the chunky fob in running shorts gets old for me, since running shorts are so lightweight. With the cut key, I can't even feel it.

Trying to accomplish same thing as with my '14 Jetta SE (no Kessy either). When I return to the car with cut key, it unlocks all the doors, so I can go straight into the back seat or pop the trunk to access back pack..etc. The Golf just doesn't behave the same way as the Jetta. It's also a different key fob....bigger.

With the Golf TDI S it doesn't unlock all doors. No huge deal, i'll just put the fob deep into the compartment on the driver's door, so I'll just grab it after unlocking and unlock the rest of the car.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
What difference would it make if you used the cut key to lock the fob in your car without the RF blocking bag?

To use the fob, someone would first have to break into your car, and then they'd have the fob anyway.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
What difference would it make if you used the cut key to lock the fob in your car without the RF blocking bag?

To use the fob, someone would first have to break into your car, and then they'd have the fob anyway.
It wouldn't make any difference. The point of the RF blocking back was that after unlocking the car, I thought since the signal is blocked all the doors plus the hatch is unlocked (like my Jetta does already w/out an RF blocking bag).
I usually lock the fob in the glove compartment.

But with the Golf, I have get in the car completely sweaty after running and unlock the glove with the cut key and then unlock the car. Like I said, no huge deal. I'll just put the fob in the door pocket and unlock the car with that after opening with cut key.

Just like I said....never had this issue with my Jetta. Just unlock with cut key and go straight to the trunk, since the cut key unlocks the whole car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, exactly. Which I do. I always run with cut key. Running an hour to 2 hours with the chunky fob in running shorts gets old for me, since running shorts are so lightweight. With the cut key, I can't even feel it.
Trying to accomplish same thing as with my '14 Jetta SE (no Kessy either). When I return to the car with cut key, it unlocks all the doors, so I can go straight into the back seat or pop the trunk to access back pack..etc. The Golf just doesn't behave the same way as the Jetta. It's also a different key fob....bigger.
With the Golf TDI S it doesn't unlock all doors. No huge deal, i'll just put the fob deep into the compartment on the driver's door, so I'll just grab it after unlocking and unlock the rest of the car.

did the jetta come with the spare cut key? VW did have true "vallet keys" that had RFID chip (same as the fobs) that was used for the immobilizer, not sure if they stopped at mk5 or if they carried over to the mk6 jettas.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
did the jetta come with the spare cut key? VW did have true "vallet keys" that had RFID chip (same as the fobs) that was used for the immobilizer, not sure if they stopped at mk5 or if they carried over to the mk6 jettas.
Jetta nor Golf came with cut keys. Got both done at a key shop.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
maybe the old jetta BCM never went to sleep, or was programmed to wake up via the mechanical lock with another micro switch, where as the golf doesn't even have the micro switch as more and more have Kessy.

VW may have cheapened out on the locks of the mk7 MQB and removed the extra limit switch, just like they removed the lock from the glove box on later built mk7s.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
maybe the old jetta BCM never went to sleep, or was programmed to wake up via the mechanical lock with another micro switch, where as the golf doesn't even have the micro switch as more and more have Kessy.

VW may have cheapened out on the locks of the mk7 MQB and removed the extra limit switch, just like they removed the lock from the glove box on later built mk7s.
Must be. No huge deal. I still can run (and do) with my cut key. It’s way better than having that fob with me. And I have a lockable glove. ?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And I have a lockable glove. ?
way to brag!!!

yeah but do you have an under drivers seat drawer? that's usually where I toss my wallet when hiking (but don't tell anyone)