Inline coolant heater & oil filter removal

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
For those that have an inline coolant heater (mostly Canada), what is the best way to get it out of the way when changing the oil filter? I found that taking the T-30 torx screw out of the bracket that holds the inline heater to the block, and then use ties to hold it out of the way seemed the easiest. Is this the method stealerships use?

Problem is the inside threads for the T-30 are stripped. I believe this occurred at the dealership during the 30k km service. Now doing my own service, I notice the threads are stripped. Are there any good options for fixing these threads besides re-taping the threads? Anyone have any success with locktite form a thread repair or similar? There is not much space there to be re-drilling and taping.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
No advice on the stripped threads, other than the usual, including maybe self tapping screw.

I raised mine on a QuickJack, instead of ramps, and tying back the heater hose worked 100%. Was able to drain oil without any spills. I've read on here that if the car is on an angle (Rhino ramps), the oil may hit hoses, etc.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
The still remember my virgin attempt on this 2015, i was extremely intimidated that I packed up and came back the next day. You get used to it just I have and can do this now cleanly and almost as fast as my previous 2009 tdi. I use two twist ties, both to the rad fan rib to hold everything out of the way.

As for the bracket, yes it is removed to gain access. Try using a tap to re-establish the internal threads and use a new bolt also, no drilling necessary. If that cannot work can you use another bolt elsewhere with your own customized bracket? Or lastly a ziptie the heater from each direction (rad fan and engine block somewhere) to stabilize the heater from other things?

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
Thanks for the tips. Paperthin, I also had a 2009 tdi, and it had very easy access to oil filter. The '05 PD TDI even easier. I thought the oil filter location on my '03 1.8T was a pain in the butt, but the '15 tdi's are worse, especially those that have the coolant heater. But the process does get easier (except the stripped threads on the coolant heater bracket during my last service).

Id parts has a oil filter drain tool for the EA288 (https://www.idparts.com/oil-filter-drain-tool-ea288-p-6949.html) which unscrews the drain plug in the filter, and the included funnel and tubing direct the oil to the drain pain. This may be an option for those that don't have their cars on a lift (like mheat), and are worried about oil going everywhere. The first time I changed the oil on the EA288, I just used a 500mL plastic water bottle, left the cap on, cut off the bottom and used it upside down to catch the oil at the filter drain plug. Worked good, and very cheap :).