Floor Mats.... Got a question or 2..

swartzzz

TDI
None, yet
Hey guys... Just bought my 05 GLS TDI in Blue/Tan. I need a floormat solution. Any options that you guys love? If anyone has some they want to unload, let me know. I've bought Avery Berber mats, and wasn't thrilled. Also, have weathertech floor liners for the Suburban, and love them, but they aren't made for the passat.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
swartzzz said:
Hey guys... Just bought my 05 GLS TDI in Blue/Tan. I need a floormat solution. Any options that you guys love? If anyone has some they want to unload, let me know. I've bought Avery Berber mats, and wasn't thrilled. Also, have weathertech floor liners for the Suburban, and love them, but they aren't made for the passat.
Monster Mats from the dealer. They're awesome. Spray them down once a year with tire foam spray and they'll last forever.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I"m not so sure about Monster Mats. The ones on my 96 looked like new with nearly 250K and almost 10 years. I installed them on my 05, drivers had a hole in it at about 50K, swapped them with my father-in-laws that had 20K since he was selling the car and now I have another hole in the same place, probably about 60K on the mats as well :mad:

joegt3

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I to would go with the Monster Mats from the dealer. I have 50K on mine and they look like new.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
joegt3 said:
I to would go with the Monster Mats from the dealer. I have 50K on mine and they look like new.
Darn, your lucky Joe, I"m here in North Haven, second driver front has a hole worn in the same place. My 96's mats looked new with 250K. The great thing about the monster mats though is they use the factory hooks in the floor, it's the only reason I'm keeping them.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
Brian's96TDIPASSAT said:
Darn, your lucky Joe, I"m here in North Haven, second driver front has a hole worn in the same place. My 96's mats looked new with 250K. The great thing about the monster mats though is they use the factory hooks in the floor, it's the only reason I'm keeping them.
My monster mats ae almost five years old and look like I just bought them.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I don't recommend the monster mats from the dealer. The section under the driver's right foot is prone to wearing through. The material in that section is too thin. Mats4less is where I got my trunkliner, weathertech window visors and mats for another car.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess it could be the placement of my foot and the mats being thin. My 96 was a stick of course and had to endure much more foot movement and still looked like new though.

FollowTheBlackRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
05 TDI Passat variant, 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins
I do not recommend the Weather Tech mats that are supposed to fit the B5.5. I got a set and they slid all over the place. They fit better in my Jeep...haha

I have the Sams Club special (like 20 bucks for four) and they are great thus far (about a year). They show no wear

P.S- CT native as well.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Mine had Monster Mats in when I bought it but the driver's side wore through very quickly. I looked around for a good fitting replacement, but no luck. I bought a new set of Monster Mats from the dealer after reading somewhere (this forum maybe, or one of the others) that the design had changed. At first I didn't think so because the ribs are still hollow underneath, but on closer inspection, the rib profile has been lowered at the previous wear point, the hollow behind the unribbed section is not as deep and the material feels different (hoping it is tougher). I filled the hollow of the ribs near the previous wear spot with silicone RTV for good measure. It doesn't stick really well, but I cleaned it with lacquer thinner to remove any residual release agent and it looks like it will stay in place. Time will tell I guess.