First oil change dilema

Dieter

Hi guys (and gals). I'm currently at 3,200 miles, and in a few more weeks before I head off on a long road trip, I'll be up to roughly 3,800 miles which is of course 1200 miles short of the first change. However, I'll probably go to AZ, about 1000 miles (total of 4,800) and then to CO (+700) and then back (700 more) which would leave me at probably 6,200 miles +/- a few hundred. So should I do it about 1200 miles early, 1200 miles late, or should I try to find a VW dealer somewhere in AZ to do the change while I'm on the road?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I'd opt for changing the oil early, as I hear that being late with a TDI can cause a lot of damage.

Dieter

Dogbreath, it will be probably early August some time. I'm staying with an Aunt that lives (I think) in a suburb of Phoenix... Then I'll be possibly going to see the canyon, and then into Denver. I'm sure there are a couple of VW dealerships in Phoenix, which sounds like the best option.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I think it would be kind of cool to have routine maintenance done while on the road.

Then your owner's manual could be kind of like the car's passport with stamps from all the exotic places you've been.

I had a Saab that (apparently... I don't read Swedish) had an oil change and some minor warranty work done in Sweden after being picked up there through a factory delivery program. The work order was in the previous owner's maintenance file.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
If you did all city driving, I would recommend waiting until 5k and doing it at a dealer during your trip. Since it will be seeing alot of highway miles, wait until you get back home. You wont hurt anything going to 7k. Even though the factory oil isnt as good as delvac, It will easily give you 7k of service.

NBKrissie1

Veteran Member
I had the same dilema this month prior to starting a road trip from home---Chandler, AZ---to Wyoming via NM and Denver.

I opted to change the oil (10k) early, at 9500, and to follow up with an oil change now that I am home.

VW dealers in AZ? Well, there is Beaudry in Tucson, Chapman [where I have go, they take my obsessive compulsion about the overfilling of oil pretty well and also don't complain about subsituting my own oil for what VW gives them] in Scottsdale, and Camelback VW also in Scottsdale.

One purchase we did make prior to the road trip was the Sportbra, which kept our NB in great shape, no dings or scratches from road debris, and we got stormed on every day, and there was no hazing of our paint underneath or problems with it drying quickly.

Bon Voyage!

dogbreath

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Jetta Sequoia Green
Dieter,
links to area dealers: www.camelbackvw.com www.earnhardtvw.com www.bergevw.com www.chapmanvw.com

I had a less than pleasant experience at Berge a couple of months ago, I'd have the car towed to another dealer if it broke down in front of Berge.
Camelback has the best prices for parts in the Phoenix area, haven't any experience with service but the parts guys are great.
All have 800 numbers if you need to schedule
the service in advance. Send an email if you want to get together on M,W,F, or Sat when you are in the area.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: dogbreath ]