2015 Golf GSW TDI - Low amps charging phone from 12 volt socket

chemistry76

TDI
2015 GSW
When charging my iPhone while using Waze and streaming audio, the phone still loses battery %. I've tried two different chargers and cables, and it's the same thing. I put an amp meter inline and it shows 0.3 amps while charging the phone from the 12 volt socket.

In my old car, it charged really fast, even with a GPS app and audio streaming going on. I haven't checked the amps in the old car, but in the household charger gives 1 amp when plugged into a 110 socket.

I've googled and found one other person with this problem, but no solution.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
When charging my iPhone while using Waze and streaming audio, the phone still loses battery %. I've tried two different chargers and cables, and it's the same thing. I put an amp meter inline and it shows 0.3 amps while charging the phone from the 12 volt socket.
In my old car, it charged really fast, even with a GPS app and audio streaming going on. I haven't checked the amps in the old car, but in the household charger gives 1 amp when plugged into a 110 socket.
I've googled and found one other person with this problem, but no solution.
Any suggestions?
Jeff
Its your car charger that's not providing enough amps to the phone.It can't be car's 12 volt outlet as it can provide upto 10 amps.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My old Nexus 4 would do this as well using a ProClip powered mount and using multiple services like you. After about 10 hours it was near dead. My newer 6P has the new usb-c charger. It has way more charging ability than the old one and smarter about it too.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
I don't think it's the charger, but I'll confirm this afternoon. I've used a known good charger (although cheap), and a known good cable. Didn't work. I purchased a high end charger and cable - same problem.

Here is the thread where someone else had the same issue. No solution provided:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4242
You can do 2 tests.
1)Check and compare the voltage at the 12v outlet and at the battery terminals using multimeter.You should read same voltage at the outlet as at the battery terminals(inside engine bay).

2)Use a actual cigarette lighter at that specific outlet and see if its getting warm and red.This will insure that you are getting high amps(much more amps required to charge a phone even at fast rate).

If you are passing these both tests then its your phone charger.Please post back how it goes.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
You can do 2 tests.
1)Check and compare the voltage at the 12v outlet and at the battery terminals using multimeter.You should read same voltage at the outlet as at the battery terminals(inside engine bay).
Pretty sure a USB charger works fine when supplied with only 6 or perhaps even 5 volts.
I have an old truck with 6 volt system, can still wire up a normal accessory socket, plug in a USB charging adapter and it charges a phone.

The charging adapter is taking whatever volts provided and knocking it down to the standard USB 5V.

Whatever the problem I doubt the car is at fault.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I purchased an Aukey mini dual USB charger that sits fairly flush right in the socket. It's rated for 4.8amps with two 2.4amp ports. Charges my Pixel very quickly! Great purchase for $11 on amazon. With the "corrected" fuse in the fuse panel moved to the right position, it will charge when the car is off as well. Details here.

Last edited:

chemistry76

TDI
2015 GSW
I figured out the problem. Kinda. When I remove the battery case from my phone, it charges fine in the VW. For some reason the VW does not like the battery case I have.

The battery case charges fine in my old car (Prius). It charges fine when connected to a wall socket.

Phone + battery case gets 0.98 amps when charging in the Prius, but 0.34-0.43 amps in the VW.

Take off the battery case and the phone gets 1.25-1.5 amps in the VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd say use a stout standalone 12v to USB charger, and leave your case on.

I also noticed the OEM port just keeps the charge if using the data on the phone with maybe 1% gain per 10 min or so.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
A lot of the 12 volt to USB ( CHEAP) adapters are only putting out 500 ma or 0.5 amp.
You can buy better ones that will output a lot more.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The aukey brand I purchased gets my phone saying "charging rapidly", can't complain.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

chemistry76

TDI
2015 GSW
Same charger, same cable, different amps in different cars when the battery case is on the phone.

0.98 amps in the Prius, and 0.34 amps in the VW.

Take the battery case off and the phone will accept 1.25-1.5 amps from the VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I've found that the cable with 90-degree connector that I have snaked behind the dash moves less current than the thicker cable that came with my phone. I accept that loss during my commute and local driving. But, on a longer road trip of six hours or more, I connect the thicker cable via separate outlet to recharge the phone from time to time.

In short, does a better cable improve your charge rate?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Cool! Not sure if my 90-degree connection is a choke point or not...

I'll continue to tolerate it since it conceals the wire fairly well...

I may be able to improve the charge rate by switching to a shorter cable and extending the 12V source to compensate. In my case, I know the cable is at fault since it charges fine with a larger cable and less-convoluted path. :cool:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
what's the bottom display? and what phone mount?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
It's a Qi charger that I glued to a ProClip mounting using Household GOOP:

The charger is discontinued. But it's easy to find another one to glue into its place I decide I want a change. :)

The bottom display is the remote head for my UHF/VHF digital ham radio. Details HERE.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Its your car charger that's not providing enough amps to the phone.It can't be car's 12 volt outlet as it can provide upto 10 amps.
Exactly.

I got a charger from Microcenter that has two different levels... 1amp or 2amp. A cigarette lighter takes 5 amps or more, and although most people aren't stupid enough to smoke cigarettes anymore, you can buy a lighter to plug in there! Plenty of amps for a smart phone.

I use the 2amp USB output for my Galaxy 7 alpha. Charges no problem even while using all features including those that need location, like navigating.