2003 Passat W8/BHW 2.0Tdi Swap

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
So i finally got a chance to post a thread about my swap i have been working it for a just over a month now ! So heres the run down. I picked up the w8 in august for 450 buck. I couldent go wrong its silver on black leather. It has 260 kms on it. Which is resonable i am the sencond owner . The reason it was cheap was because the harmonic balencer bolt fell out and made a mess under the hood My doner car will be my 2005 passat tdi which is alreddy swaped to 6speed this car was also my daily driver up till last week when i yanked the engine

The engine is the worst part of the car.

Last edited:

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Looking at a W8 4Motion auto here locally with much the same issue as what you have. The Passat TDI are all FWD yes? How are you going to accommodate for the gearing of the gasoline 4Motion drive line - or is the fact that it is a W8 putting it closer to idea revs for the TDI. What is the 100km/h RPM of the W8?

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
I had a suspicion. I'm assuming his TDI Passat is not, so I'm curious which tranny is planned. Which transmission are you planning to use OP? An 01E from a NA car? Or something from Europe?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Glad to see this project is getting started!

I will be forever grateful if you detail the whole swap including some of the wiring mysteries I have not solved ;)

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes the car is for 4 motion The TDI donor car is not for 4motion. The transmission I am using is from a B7 a4 2.0t 02X. Gve code Basically the whole driveline is from a B7a4. Rear differential rear axles front axles Clutch line shiftbox and linkage 240 mm clutch flywheel The pedals are from a standard B5 1.8t Also note to anybody with possible interest The b7 tranny will not bolt into a b5 without modifications The 01e uses side mounts The B7 uses a transmission crossmember Which had to be machine to fit the B5 body Also the B7 does not have provisions for speedometer It uses canbus I made a custom external magnetic pick up wheel And also the shift box will not the b5 body

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
I am a tool maker/Machinist. And I run my own small machine shop So most of these modifications were very simple. And you may wonder why I would bother but this is a budget build I dident wanna import parts. And I got a smoking deal on the B7 Driveline

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

This shows the crossmember fitted to the body It's obvious there is little Clearance The underbody stamping is different But close enough it's adoptable

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Here's the transmission sitting in ready for the engine Also installing the clutch line without removing the brake booster requires some voodoo I would remove the brake booster but the W8 has a factory strut brace Which makes it nearly impossible to remove it. Without investing time

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Engine in and snugged down :)

Here is the engine being pulled from the donor car. My timeline of events is out of order But the content is what matters

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Here is the BHW fan harness. This runs along the driver side fender well Into the top part of the body This will be installed in the W8

Last edited:

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
That's looking great! Moving along quickly too. Are the ratio's pretty good on the B7 box?

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
The gve 2.0t. Does 145kmh (90mph) at 3000rpm which is a bit better than. A mk4 bew. I dont do alot of super fast highway driving anyway. So should do the trick for now

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Got most of the front end on the car today i had the engine running in the w8
As of now all the wiring is plug and play. I haveent done anything. Speedo and tach works as well as the coolant temp The factory automatic center driveshaft was also plug and play with the b7 driveline. 63" long

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Sending unit

So i was messing around with the sending unit. And i realized theres no gasket on it ?? So i pulled the drivers side sender out and it has no gasket either. Do these 4mo cars not use a gasket Or did someone toss them out
Can anyone confirm. I no my fwd passat has a gasket. But it had a different hold down. Plastic nut vs stamped steel bind ring

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
typically there would be no gasket on the stamped steel bind ring, since it would be considered non serviceable, and likely holds the unit tighter, just my thoughts on what i had seen

man you made it look to easy

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
man you made it look to easy
Ya.... the only other swapped W8's have seemed to caused headaches and ulcers....

Maybe you are using a US spec harness where others were using Euro spec harnesses....

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup i used NA tdi harness. I drove the car for the first time on the weekend. Its amazing so far i love it. I dident have to change any wire pinouts at all. I was told i would
So im happy

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
What turbo are you using and can you post up a picture of it from the passenger side?

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Front suspension sandblasted and zinc nickel coated and then e coated

Rears with new zimmermans :)

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Two rear pipes done.

Down pipe done. All 304 SS

Mid pipe. With handmade 3" to double 2.5" split y pipe. Can buy one so i made it

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Are the headlights working as intended? I still can't figure out why the highbeam specific lights (the non-HID ones) do not work on mine.

Can you tell me if and when (what switch position) those lights come on with your car? Di you have to do any wiring changes to make them work?

Thanks! jealous that yours is so plug-and-play compared to my AVF engine swap!

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
My head lights all work. Including the auto leveling low beams. I think you have a underlying problem with headlight wiring have you checked the bulbs and fuses ?