www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 12th, 2012, 00:53   #16
afterthisnap

I did mine today. It would have been a pretty easy job if my balljoint bolts didn't shear off

The OEM boots looked OK with 216k miles on them, but as I removed them it was pretty clear that they were not long for this world as the rubber was relatively easy to tear and not that supple.

I ditched the included OEM grease and tried Green Grease.
Hokey marketing, but the reviews are good.

The factory grease inside the inner boot looked pretty good, but the oil was separating from the thickener. The green grease stuff won't separate and is much much stickier than the black stuff- since the CV bearings don't really spin (like a wheel bearing) I figured the sticker stuff would hold on the loaded surfaces better.

The cost of the boots was more than a lifetime autozone CV (I've never had problems with them before), but I figured the non-damaged OEM units will last forever as long as the boots are doing their job.
afterthisnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 20:37   #17
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

I used to clean and repack the CV joints on my '71 Bus every 50k miles or so... how often should the joints on our TDIs be serviced?
Old November 29th, 2012, 20:17   #18
Bailout

Fuel Economy: Best 57.3 - highway.

So did you rebuild them yet?

I just did mine... FYI, check your bearings/hubs when you remove them... I ended up replacing bearings/hubs, tie rod ends (cause they were very worn), and ball joints because I had it all apart anyway... Didn't know I needed to do all that til I got the axles out. CV joints were very easy to rebuild - got my kits from idparts.

It's messy - so have some extra cardboard and plastic sheets around. I agree with thd YouTube vids... Not nearly as cosmic as one thinks.

iPhone Forum Junkie
Bailout is offline   Reply With Quote