2010 MkVI Golf TDI coming to Canada

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Just read this from the news forum, Golf TDI is back (that's right, with its real name Golf, not Rabbit).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239152

Highlights:
- it will be make in Wolfsburg, Germany
- same 2L CR TDI currently in Jetta TDI with 6 speed manual
- Golf wagon made in Puebla, Mexico to replace Jetta wagon

Looks like if you are on the side line for a German made Jetta wagon, you better put in your order soon.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
excellent news. I can't put my finger on why I prefer Golf's over Jetta's.... I'm hoping that they can bring a base Golf TDI in for around 21k w/heated seats as a stand alone option (or maybe a cold weather package?)

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
The cold weather package costed me roughly $220 back in 2001 and I'm telling you it is the best car option I've ever bought. What I really want in a MkVI is oem HID and some not so lint magnet seat material like the what the MkIV has.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I've got it on my current Golf, but the heated seat element just failed, so I have to content myself with an unassisted hot ass...:p

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
CmdrData said:
Golf TDI is back (that's right, with its real name Golf, not Rabbit).
Hip could mean either something that's in fashion, or it could mean the parts of your body to the lower sides of your stomach.

Hop could mean either a middle school dance, or the act of jumping low, typically more than once.

Put the two together, and suddenly the meaning of the words change drastically, and the image given to your mind is entirely different than either of the two words seperately.

Golf and TDI when spoken to an automotive enthusiast or potential car buyer over 30 both have many positive connotations connected to them, and when used together. But Diesel and Rabbit when used together....?;)

Marketing.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
johnnloki said:
Golf and TDI when spoken to an automotive enthusiast or potential car buyer over 30 both have many positive connotations connected to them, and when used together. But Diesel and Rabbit when used together....?;)

Marketing.
Good call.

I'm excited about the auto show... I hope the new styling is a smooth evolution of the Golf... from this pictures it sort of looks like too much of a departure to me, but hopefully it will look more Golf like in person. This short vw ad sort of speaks to what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHq0cDCb_s

edit: found a thorough video showing the new Golf from many angles... just skip the first 4 minutes of the car driving past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Tf6QcpJks&feature=related

build one right now: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-vi/

Last edited:

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
NarfBLAST said:
Totally what the MkV should have been- something about the aesthetics of the V just didn't gel with me, and a huge percentage of people. It was like VW designers sat down and said "Mazda makes some pretty nice cars- how about we make a Mazda Golf?" This car is more of the evolution of the MkIV that the V should have been. I'm liking the looks of this car... between this, the new Scirocco, the CC, you'd almost think that Volkswagen is finding their way again- now if they can just get us some factory uprated TDIs hopefully with cams that outlast timing belts, we'll be golden.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
VDubbing said:
cams out lasting timing belts is not a good thing. Im glad i bought in 03 and didnt wait for the pumpa deusse
I thought the issue was that the timing belts outlasted the cams? (ie Cams failing prematurely)

Is this still a potential problem on the new common rail engines?

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
No it's not a problem with the common rail design.

I'm seriously thinking of trading my wagon on one of these, depends on the price when it goes public. Great looking car, love the "three door" and the 2.0l in one package. I don't believe there is a leather upholstery option at all planned though?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I was just at a dealer chatting with a salesman (who I trust) - he says that whereas he's read in the media that Canada is getting a new Golf TDi, he has no official literature from VW yet.....

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
ahhh i wanted one when i got my mkv but it never came...since going back to a mkiv iam not swapping to a mkvi for a tdi... iam gonna drive this golf to the ground and just enjoy driving it and having no payments!

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
The fact that the TDI MkVI Golf will be better equipped than the gasoline 2.5L version and the built in Germany thing makes me think it won't be priced alot lower (if at all) than the $23,xxx that the entry level MkV Jetta TDI costs.

However, it would be perfect to be able to get a <$22K 5 door TDI 6 speed w/HIDs.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
It's good news, but isn't the MKVI supposed to be a short-lived model? I thought the MKVII is slated to be introduced 2-3 years after the MKVI comes out.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
With the way how japanese auto makers change the look/design of their cars every 4 yrs or so, it is difficult for VW to stick to their old way of keeping a generation for 7-8 yrs before re-design. I really do like how vw done the new interior tho.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
NarfBLAST said:
The 2010 MkVI is smaller than the MkV... I think that is very cool that they bucked the trend of increasing size and kept the Golf name.
I don't see much changes between V & VI, at least it is not growing bigger.

____________MkV Golf ___MkVI Golf
Wheelbase ___2578mm ___2578mm
Length ______4210mm ___4199mm
Width _______1759mm ___1786mm
Height _______1749mm ___1749mm

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
CmdrData said:
I don't see much changes between V & VI, at least it is not growing bigger.

____________MkV Golf ___MkVI Golf.................................A6 Golf
Wheelbase ___2578mm ___2578mm ~ ---- ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,~109.4"
Length ______4210mm ___4199mm ~ 0.43 inch shorter,~165.3"
Width _______1759mm ___1786mm ~ 1.06 inch wider,,,~ 070.3"
Height _______1749mm ___1749mm ~ ----,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,~ 068.9"
What is the weight compared to each other , GVW on each ??

Someone have the sizes & weight on my old A2s ,MKII TDs body handy ?? That is the size car I would like ......All I can remember is 97 inches on the wheel base . Or how does my A2 Jettas , my 97 Passat compare to the coming Golf TDI ? How do all of them compared to the current EU spec Polo TDI ??

I have the brochure somewhere in a box for my A2 Jettas but I bet someone can come up with the numbers before I have a chance to find them .