B4 big brake upgrade -- photos --

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Here's my big brake upgrade for my B4. I used new Girling G60 calipers and carriers (this caliper is used on Audi 200 turbo, early Audi S4, and Audi S2), VW Corrado G60 11" rotors x-drilled and slotted, EBC green stuff pads, SS lines, and ATE super blue fluid.

It was all a straight forward bolt-on upgrade. If you can change your own brake pads and flush your own fluid, you can do this upgrade with ease. Note that 15" or larger wheels are required. This won't fit under the stock 14" steelies.

All I can say, is WOW. With the stock brakes, I would sometimes wonder if I could stop in time when traffic slows down quickly. Now my only concern is that the guy behind me doesn't rear-end me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif HUGE difference in braking performance with this upgrade. I'm very pleased with the results.

They look wet in the last two photos because they are wet. I gave them a quick rinse for the photo - there is yellow tree pollen blanketing everything near my house...

newly installed parts. the small old rotor is laying on the floor:

pic of the new brakes through the wheel:

distance shot. You can see the edge of my trusty (and rusty) old Audi 4000 quattro in this pic.:

Questions? Comments?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
like em!! Manageable pricewise? Links to someplace where I can see if A3 fittings are there? Wait, you said 15"...rats /images/graemlins/smile.gif

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I did the same thing but I used cheap OEM Corrado discs and calipers/sliders from a crashed Golf GTI.

I am very pleased with the result and it didn't cost much at all.

My discs are vented but not slotted or drilled, but I haven't yet faded them. The reduction in pedal pressure and general feeling that the car will actually stop now is most welcome.

Most expensive part of the upgrade for me was the 15" wheels.

If you buy Golf GTI calipers then make sure that they are from a car with 280mm brakes and not 288mm.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]
I did the same thing but I used cheap OEM Corrado discs and calipers/sliders from a crashed Golf GTI.

If you buy Golf GTI calipers then make sure that they are from a car with 280mm brakes and not 288mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's tough in the USA. They only used the 280mm discs on the 1995 GTI. One year only. Also pads for this year, because it's not common, are abnormally expensive and many places (including on-line retailers) don't stock them at all.

This was part of the reason I went with the larger dual-piston aluminum Audi calipers. Pads are more readily available.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]
like em!! Manageable pricewise? Links to someplace where I can see if A3 fittings are there? Wait, you said 15"...rats /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The original B4 brakes *are* A3 brakes. Exact same. That's part of the reason they suck so much - the brakes of the little A3 Golf have to stop the larger, much heavier Passat.

But not anymore /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I have the Corrado G60 front brakes on my car. Stops great. Straight bolt-on swap.

Have you tried your spare to see if it will go over the big brakes? Mines fits over the bigger brakes just fine...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Interesting choice of the Girling G60 calipers (not to be confused, I guess, with the calipers used on the Corrado G60, which is what my car has). Did you need a carrier adapter, or was it a straight bolt-on?

If it weren't for budget constraints (reality check), I would have done Audi TT 321mm rotors with Posche Boxster monobloc calipers on my car.

The 280mm Corrado brakes work very well though. I have 3 other 200 pound+ witnesses whom I took for a test ride when the brakes were first installed. The front passenger would've slammed into the winshield if his belts were not on /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
TDIMeister,

It was a straight bolt on using the regular Girling G60 carriers. very easy. I liked the Girling G60 calipers because they are dual-piston calipers plus they are made of aluminum so they are a bit lighter than steel.

These are the largest most powerful calipers that are a direct bolt-on for our cars. Anything larger (Porsche) requires various adapters and gets very expensive.

I paid $400 even for the pair of calipers and carriers brand new.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]
I have the Corrado G60 front brakes on my car. Stops great. Straight bolt-on swap.

Have you tried your spare to see if it will go over the big brakes? Mines fits over the bigger brakes just fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it doesnt fit. These Girling G60 calipers are dual-piston and are VERY big. They are quite a bit larger than GTI or Corrado calipers (both single piston). There is less than 2mm clearance between the caliper and the low profile wheel weights stuck inside my 15" wheels. /images/graemlins/eek.gif I used feeler gauges to measure! It's tight but it fits.

Sadly, the spare is not even close. The spare will still fit on the backs of course. If a front goes flat, I'll just have to play musical chairs. (front to trunk, back to front, and spare to back)

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to try looking for a spare tire from a wrecked Corrado G60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tremendous idea!! If Corrado had a 15" spare, it just might be spot on! Thanks!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
[ QUOTE ]
TDIMeister,

I liked the Girling G60 calipers because they are dual-piston calipers plus they are made of aluminum so they are a bit lighter than steel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lupin, are you positive that they are aluminum?
My Girling calipers are cast steel and quite heavy.
Now mine are used, but I don't think the G-60 caliper was ever made in aluminum.

Grab a refrigerator magnet and see if it sticks. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mine should go on in the next couple of months, if I can ever get off my butt and order my SS lines, rotors and pads. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Edited to add: Yes Corrado's came with a 15 inch doughnut spare.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]

Now mine are used, but I don't think the G-60 caliper was ever made in aluminum.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right. It's my goofup!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's the G54's that are aluminum. The G60's are steel and are about 13 lbs each.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
I am following OilburnerDE's lead, soon as his go in mine go in as well. Probably pick up the Zimmerman rotors at IMPEX next week. That will be a step in the right direction. What are the correct stainless lines and where do I get them?

BEC

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right. It's my goofup!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's the G54's that are aluminum. The G60's are steel and are about 13 lbs each.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh!! Try again!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif The G-54's which are stock on the B4 TDI (10.1") and my Corrado G60 (11") are also steel.

Two for two /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
brakes

The G54's must have been made in two different versions. At the bottom of this link, there is clearly an aluminum bodied G54 caliper.

Perhaps the steel G54's were used on VW's and the Aluminum bodied ones on the Audis? I dont know. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
[ QUOTE ]
Tremendous idea!! If Corrado had a 15" spare, it just might be spot on! Thanks!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Another idea is to find an owner of an A3 Jetta/Golf with a four-banger engine (non-VR6) that would be willing to loan you their spare to test fit over your calipers. I can't recall if my spare has a 14" or 15" wheel on it but it fits over my Corrado setup.

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
[ QUOTE ]

The G54's must have been made in two different versions. At the bottom of this link, there is clearly an aluminum bodied G54 caliper.

Perhaps the steel G54's were used on VW's and the Aluminum bodied ones on the Audis? I dont know. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It does look like an aluminum caliper in the upper right corner. At least part of it is anyway, not the whole thing.
Never seen them on a VW. So it may be a limited run item. I wonder if the cast steel G-60 brakes replaced them?

If I can make it to impex, I will remember to bring my 15 in Corrado doughnut spare, if you'd like to try to see if it fits.

If I can find the time, I need to slap my G-60's on my Corrado to test fit and make sure all of my 15" wheels will work. May not be an accurate test since I don't have new pads to test fit as well, but it should give me an idea.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's tough in the USA. They only used the 280mm discs on the 1995 GTI. One year only. Also pads for this year, because it's not common, are abnormally expensive and many places (including on-line retailers) don't stock them at all.

This was part of the reason I went with the larger dual-piston aluminum Audi calipers. Pads are more readily available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the Golf 280mm calipers are the same as the Corrado G60 ones, just that they don't have the little s-bend metal pipe on them (the one off the original Passat calipers fits though). The pads that I bought said that they were suitable for a whole range of cars including Golf GTI and Corrado G60.

Here in the UK the Corrado G60 was sold only for one year, whereas as Golf GTIs are all over the place. What I have done is basically the Corrado G60 brake conversion but sourcing the parts from a bigger pool as far as UK is concerned.

I never tried putting the 14" steelies over then G60 brakes... I just believed that they wouldn't go. I even bought a fifth alloy as spare /images/graemlins/blush.gif

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
braided stainless Brake lines installed. These are 430mm Male-Female lines. I would have liked to have 470mm lines but apparently they aren't available. The third photo is of the steering wheel turned all the way. You can see that a little more length in the lines wouldn't hurt, but they aren't stretched tight so they should be OK.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Just want to add some pertinent links in here so all the info is linked together:

The Jetta braided steel brake hoses didn't work out so well, I had some custom brake hoses made. Very inexpensive and also fits much better. Photos and details here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=128934&page=4

Also have to change the brake master cylinder for a larger Audi one. These G60's take a lot of fluid to get moving (twice as many pistons as the G54's, so makes sense) and it takes a larger MC to do it properly. Photos and details here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=128934&page=8

Apparently, Hawk HP+ pads don't fit properly and should be avoided. Harrowing tale here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=183752

Ok, now everything is linked together here. One of these days I should turn this into a HOWTO or something. I have more than three years and 75k miles on this big brake setup with no problems whatsoever. The car really should have come this way from the factory. :cool:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Did you ever find out the correct application for the ss lines to do the Girling conversion? I have an IM in to Lupin the third for the same.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Thought I'd bump this for people .

Master Cylinder is the 441611021A for the 91 audi 200. 25mm MC
Calipers
are g60 dual piston caliper and carriers.

pads
are to match g60 dual piston calipers. have spring clips that hold onto the back of the caliper.
Mintex pads mdb1819 or 441698151E
447 698 151 f/m

Rotor is for a g60 11" 280mm 4x100 rotor
535615301 zimmerman rotors.

Brake Lines
Stainless braided longer length with banjo fittings.