5 Speed Swap Wiring

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
92 4Runner-ALH Swap In Progress
I am swapping out my broken 01m for a used 02j. I have done all the under dash wiring inclduing replacing the 175 relay with a 53 relay. I have also connected the reverse light switch. the only other wiring i have to do is to change the connections in the ecu/tcu for cruise. I need a pinout/diagram of the ecu connector to determine what pin 66 is that i need to put the wire from pin 19 for the wire coming from the TCU/ 53 relay. Thanks so much. Any suggestions for changes to that setup would be appreaciated. I am using the wiring instructuions found at:http://www.instructables.com/id/VW-Beetle-Golf-Jetta-Automatic-to-5-Speed-Swap/step2/Remove-and-rewire/

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
There are tiny little labels on the backside of the ECU connector that will help you find the exact pin.
Thanks for the great info both of you. this is just what i was looking for. i guess i will have to pull apart those connectors later tonight, assuming i get the clutch lines hooked up. all in all this seems to be going alright!

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
after a lot of frustration and numerous times disassembling the ecu plug, i found that the wire for pin 66 was about 1/16 of an inch from being locked in. i pressed it in and the cruise has been working great since. thanks for all the help.

TonganDiesel

TDI
2000 Black 5 speed manual 234k miles, 2002 Black auto Jetta 309K miles
Davidm2232 - I am studying up on this 5 speed swap and I have a question. What did you do with all of the wiring running into the auto transmission. I think they are G68 and G22 and the F150 toward the back of the tranny and the Valve body connections.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Davidm2232 - I am studying up on this 5 speed swap and I have a question. What did you do with all of the wiring running into the auto transmission. I think they are G68 and G22 and the F150 toward the back of the tranny and the Valve body connections.
The only two wires you need out of those harnesses come from the 8 pin plug for reverse lights, Grey/Red and Green/Black. The rest can be cut off. This is the best guide I have found: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GdB_SWAP_ELECTRICAL_WIRING_SIMPLE_CONDENSED_VERSION.pdf

RBW

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
after a lot of frustration and numerous times disassembling the ecu plug, i found that the wire for pin 66 was about 1/16 of an inch from being locked in. i pressed it in and the cruise has been working great since. thanks for all the help.
It sounds like I am having the same issue here. I've double checked all my wiring and all is correct. I have continuity right to the ecu from the clutch cancel switch. However, my wire wont lock in, it looks all the way in but doesn't lock at all and as a result the ecu thinks my clutch is depressed at all times cancelling my cruise control. My question is does it not make a connection to the ecu unless fully locked in?

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did one over the weekend and had the same issue of the pin not being all the way in. It MUST be fully locked in. If not, it just gets pushed out when the ecu gets plugged in. You may need to take something like an exacto knife and gently pry the tab out that holds the pin in. Ours got so mangled we ended up needed to pull out one of the spare pins and crimp the wire in that. 99% of the time it goes perfect, if it doesn't, it's a royal pain

RBW

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I just did one over the weekend and had the same issue of the pin not being all the way in. It MUST be fully locked in. If not, it just gets pushed out when the ecu gets plugged in. You may need to take something like an exacto knife and gently pry the tab out that holds the pin in. Ours got so mangled we ended up needed to pull out one of the spare pins and crimp the wire in that. 99% of the time it goes perfect, if it doesn't, it's a royal pain
Thanks, I had a feeling that was my problem. This might be a dumb question but what spare pins are you referring to? I think I've mangle mine too.

4bangindiesel

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta Manual swap
So i have also done the 02j swap in a 2001 jetta tdi. I have done all the wiring even connected the TCM to ECU wires but still no luck with cruise. to be fair i am absolutely terrible when it comes to wiring and still cant seem to figure this out. Can any post pictures of your finished product to reference mine with. Reading the threads on this subject is confusing to me as i dont completely grasp electrical work. I guess my background in welding and strictly mechanical work is to blame hahaha. But any help would be awesome since i travel far and often for work and this non cruise control is terrible for long distance driving.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
So i have also done the 02j swap in a 2001 jetta tdi. I have done all the wiring even connected the TCM to ECU wires but still no luck with cruise. to be fair i am absolutely terrible when it comes to wiring and still cant seem to figure this out. Can any post pictures of your finished product to reference mine with. Reading the threads on this subject is confusing to me as i dont completely grasp electrical work. I guess my background in welding and strictly mechanical work is to blame hahaha. But any help would be awesome since i travel far and often for work and this non cruise control is terrible for long distance driving.
In the simplest way to test, pin 66 on the ECU should get 12v when the clutch pedal is released, and go to open with the clutch is depressed. If you are getting 12v to the ECU, triple check to make sure the pin is in all the way. Also, make sure the coding in the ecu is set to 0002(? I am 99%sure it is 002 but someone confirm) for manual trans.