www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old February 24th, 2011, 15:42   #1
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several
Default Fuelab lift pumps - Interest for potential group buy?

For the few of us performance nuts that a mk4 PD lift pump won't work nicely with (like the b4v I'm working on now), there's basically no high quality in line lift pump options on the market for the 80-120 GPH at 7-15psi range approved for diesel. I called all the big names in aftermarket fuel pumps and they weren't the slightest interested in making a diesel version of any of their pumps. Seeing as how often I replace Carter lift pumps on Dodge 24v's, I'm not even considering those.

I spoke with an engineer at Fuelab today, and on Monday they are going to take their smallest pump and change some regulator springs and programming (yes, their pumps are programmable) to reduce the flow ratings to something that will work without a regulator for us. With the pump being in a "reduced" state of operation compared to what it was designed for, the engineer felt it would have absolutely no trouble living on the street for many, many, years.

If anyone is interested, post up! If they can make the pump meet our needs, I'll see if any price break can be made for a couple units.

Last edited by Whitbread; February 24th, 2011 at 17:36.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 16:16   #2
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

I'm in.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 16:45   #3
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Would this be an upgrade for us pd guys? There is 103k on mine and I'm thinking I'll need a replacement at some point and time.
RTDI Build Thread
October 19th,2019 Cruise/GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 16:51   #4
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Would these go in the engine bay or the tank?
Old February 24th, 2011, 16:58   #5
Whitbread

I was thinking more underneath the car near the fuel tank. I don't know if it's submersible, though I imagine at 2.5"x6.5" it wouldn't fit very well in our sending units anyways.

However, this unit was more intended toward those running radical setups not using OEM fuel systems anymore. If you have a vehicle that can use a PD lift pump, I'd probably stick with it. Will be easier and cheaper. If you have a goofy application or are out in left field like TDISyncro, Shorty, or NoJoke, this would be a good option.

Last edited by Whitbread; February 24th, 2011 at 17:35.
Old February 24th, 2011, 17:20   #6
NoJoke
Veteran Member

I'm always in!

06 E320 CDI - RC
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 19:42   #7
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Count me in too. I've been thinking about having a lift pump installed on the B4V & have been watching Jeremy's thread to see if there would be a reasonable solution to the problem.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 20:12   #8
kooyajerms
grocery getter

It was your thread that shed some light on all this Jason. You and Gus can be thanked for Matt pushing for a better lift pump.

We're in! Come on group buy!
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 20:43   #9
thekidfan
Veteran Member

How much $$$ are they talking Matt. As you mentioned those wonderful carters LOL I'm sure you're aware of the FASS and Airdog lines of diesel lift pumps. Also do you really feel the GPH needs to be that high?
thekidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 22:37   #10
Whitbread

Glad to see there's more interest in this than I initially thought . Hopefully monday's testing produces favorable results and this will come to fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidfan View Post
How much $$$ are they talking Matt. As you mentioned those wonderful carters LOL I'm sure you're aware of the FASS and Airdog lines of diesel lift pumps. Also do you really feel the GPH needs to be that high?
Well, the pumps sell for 273 to 375 according to google shopping for the 40402 pump that this project is being based off of. Apparently some places are gouging quite heavily.... Won't bother discussing pricing till we know we have something that is going to work.

While it may not be the cheapest option, you can't find anything else that is rated for diesel use, brushless motor, and digitally controlled
(onlys pull 2-3 amps total). Seeing as how there's no brushes and the bearings & carbon vanes are lubricated by slippery diesel, the pump really should last damn near indefinitely. This is a "do it once and do it right" type deal. There are cheaper options (carter and walbro) if you're on a tight budget.

Yes, the gph needs to be that high. At 5k, the rotary vane pump inside the injection pump moves alot more fuel than you think. These VE pumps need all the cool fuel they can get to help keep things cool and lubricated at high rpms.

Yeah, I looked at all the FASS and Airdog stuff. They all flow wayyyyyy to much for us and are also way to much $$$ for what they are.
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:22   #11
G60ING
Veteran Member

Is this something that I could mount under the car, where the gasser's fuel filter would mount on a mk3/mk2/corrado? Would it be ok in the elements (my car lives a comfy life by being garaged kept and only driven in the warm seasons)?
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 16:25   #12
choramix
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 6 l

hi
it apears to me a in line fuel pump. i think i can put them any where
Old March 2nd, 2011, 14:25   #13
Whitbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
Is this something that I could mount under the car, where the gasser's fuel filter would mount on a mk3/mk2/corrado? Would it be ok in the elements (my car lives a comfy life by being garaged kept and only driven in the warm seasons)?
Yup, the idea behind the inline is that it will be mounted under the car. I believe it's also submersible.

Wohoo! Good news! Just got off the phone with the engineer working on the project and reducing the pump's speed down to 35% nets 79gph at 10 psi and dead headed the internal relief opens at 20psi. Current draw is only 2.9 amps at this speed and he said it was very quiet.

Since there are two programmable speeds, I asked him to program the second speed at 55% of max which he said netted 105gph at 10psi and dead heading at 24psi. This way, you can have a street mode, flip a switch, and then have race mode with higher flow for keeping the pump happy under high rpms. Or I suppose you could get tricky and use a hobbs switch to send 12v to the speed wire of the pump at a certain boost psi.

I'm awaiting a return call from a distributor (can't buy direct) to work out some quantity vs pricing.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 17:05   #15
NoJoke
Veteran Member

Boost regulated pressure please! Even if we have to buy a separate FPR.

06 E320 CDI - RC
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote