Limited Slip Differential in DSG

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Looking everywhere for some information. Would like very much to install a limited slip differential in my 14' JSW With a DSG transmission.

A lot of information out there on install of a LSD in a manual transmission.

Would love to have a conversation with someone who has done this job. Or if anyone who can point me in the direction of more information. I've never opened up a DSG and want to be prepared before I do.

Respectfully,
Travis

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The standard ASR/EDL with the ESP is not enough? I think that is why they generally do not bother much with locking or limited slip mechanical differentials in FWD cars. The traction control works pretty good.

Of course if you are wanting to road race or track day the car, that may be a different story. Then the mechanical type has an advantage. Because it needn't reduce any available power in order to work.

But for getting around in winter weather, all my dubs equipped with ASR/EDL do just fine. Excellent actually.

But with a lot of power mods, the LSD would certainly be welcome and may even make for the electronic nannyware to not intervene nearly as much.

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree that the traction control works well. But after last Sunday at Road America, I realize how much potential isn't hooking up with the track. My guess is that seconds would be shaved off my times with th LSD.

Thanks Mac, yes Wavetrac is the one. But have you ever installed one?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will likely find more information on LSD into DSG installs by widening your internet searches to not specifically limit TDIs. Because a quick google search just now revealed ALL KINDS of info, videos, pictures, part numbers, etc. for folks putting them in DSG equipped GTIs. Which should be mostly the same thing for your car.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The performance pack Mk7 GTIs come standard with an electronically-controlled LSD. That would probably be a nightmare to source and install though.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Electronically controlled LSD is just the brakes being applied to alternating sides to simulate LSD. Not a true LSD.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Nice info.

That's how the 'lesser' electronically controlled LSDs used to work. Which wasn't all that great.

Now I wonder if all this electronic control over the LSD is worth the complication over a simple and very good torsen type LSD, or even the classic clutch pack style.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Nice info.

That's how the 'lesser' electronically controlled LSDs used to work. Which wasn't all that great.

Now I wonder if all this electronic control over the LSD is worth the complication over a simple and very good torsen type LSD, or even the classic clutch pack style.
Probably not quite as good, but a no-brainer option on the GTI, when performance pack also comes with larger Golf R brakes (and a minor tune +10 bump in hp), all for $1500.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course, how could I have not thought of such a simple solution. Thanks Oilhammer.

Let me add to the madness by asking if it is possible to put in a taller 6th gear? If a DSG is just an automatic manual, why not? Would be great to lower a few hundred RPM on the highway commutes.

If I have the case cracked, I'd want to do it all at once.

Last edited:

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I have done one on a DSG worked well .
For any real roadracing it is a must to have a LSD in a front wheel car.
Here is my car last year as the car rolls it will lift the inside wheel so you need all the tires touching driving you forward.

I agree that the traction control works well. But after last Sunday at Road America, I realize how much potential isn't hooking up with the track. My guess is that seconds would be shaved off my times with th LSD.

Thanks Mac, yes Wavetrac is the one. But have you ever installed one?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob,

Is there much difference to this job on a DSG compared to a manual?

Crack case, remove shift forks, remove gears, remove ring gear with differential, drill out rivets, install LSD to ring gear, reassemble?

What about new bearings and checking lash?

Respectfully
Travis

I have done one on a DSG worked well .
For any real roadracing it is a must to have a LSD in a front wheel car.
Here is my car last year as the car rolls it will lift the inside wheel so you need all the tires touching driving you forward.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I did the ring gear work I used a tranny shop to pull it apart I use a lot. He said it was a bear to assemble had to watch a few youtubes to get it right.
On start up made a lot of noise and then did the adaption and it was fine after that.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Lots of guys on the mk6 gti forum put lsd into their dsg so you can find lots of info there. It shouldnt be too difficult to mount.
I would also put it in my ds500 but the price tag is too high for the moment at over 2000€

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Of course, how could I have not thought of such a simple solution. Thanks Oilhammer.

Let me add to the madness by asking if it is possible to put in a taller 6th gear? If a DSG is just an automatic manual, why not? Would be great to lower a few hundred RPM on the highway commutes.

If I have the case cracked, I'd want to do it all at once.

This is what I want for the Alltrack, no more of this 2300 RPMs at 65!

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Ready to buy the LSD, but I need to know where I can find the parts list of bearings, shims, seals etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a local installer willing to do the work, but I need all the parts and pieces.

Any help is appreciated.
Respectfully,
Travis

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
The standard ASR/EDL with the ESP is not enough? I think that is why they generally do not bother much with locking or limited slip mechanical differentials in FWD cars. The traction control works pretty good.

EDL can destroy brake pads. After all, it tries to combat wheel spin by using the brakes, right?

(FYI, it does simulate a diff really rather well, but at a cost in consumables, and effectively torque vectoring by braking is always slower than by using a diff

On my fronts calipers, I had 2mm left on my right hand side, but my left hand side was much healthier at 5-6mm.
When your pads cost $700 a pop , rather not waste them :)

I used my right foot more carefully for a while, and now have a Peloquin ATB in a rebuilt gearbox.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
The next question is should I put a new DMF in, and is there a beefier one, say from a CR170, while I'm in there...

Also, if you were doing this, would you put in the upgrade clutch packs at the same time as well?

All opinions appreciated....

Travis

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think Les at GDM(German diesel motorwerkes) may have a dmf upgrade for the dsg. Not sure how necessary/beneficial that or upgraded clutch packs would be though.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stock tuned DSGs have been holding up to +400HP on the R and about that on GTIs, while I know it saves you the labor to do everything at once, you maybe chasing the wrong problem.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the response guys. Going to slap the LSD in and roll with it...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Stock tuned DSGs have been holding up to +400HP on the R and about that on GTIs, while I know it saves you the labor to do everything at once, you maybe chasing the wrong problem.
Stock tune, or stock hardware? It's really the torque figure that matters- which on 400 hp 2.0 TSI is probably around 400 lb-ft. But yeah, the stock dsg hardware should be fine.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stock tune, or stock hardware? It's really the torque figure that matters- which on 400 hp 2.0 TSI is probably around 400 lb-ft. But yeah, the stock dsg hardware should be fine.
From what I've read a DSG tune is recommended to get everything out of the tune, but the DMF is good to go.

APR stage 2 "high torque" with TCU tune handles 400tq with 387 hp.