Satellite Radio Control Module location

Lon

TDI
2013 Jetta
Hello to all.

New to posting, but have used you all as a resource for a few years. Thank you for all the help and information.

However, I am having some difficulty finding my satellite radio control module in my 2013 Jetta TDI sedan. Last week my radio was doing a channel update, then decided to stop working. Called Sirius to walk through some troubleshooting, no help. Took it to the dealer, not much help. They hooked it up to the computer and said they couldn't communicate with the module at all, which was my initial suspicion, since I don't even see a radio ID number in the diagnostic menu on the radio screen. So, long story short, I need a new satellite radio control module. Worth noting that every other aspect of my radio works fine; AM/FM, Aux, bluetooth, etc.

So, I researched on chiltondiy.com and was informed the satellite radio control module is under the rear parcel shelf, above the luggage area. After an hour or so of taking apart various trim parts and removing the shelf, no control module there. Called two separate dealership service centers, both said it should be under one of the two front seats. Not under either. I took the bolts out and lifted each seat to get a good look, just to be sure, and there is no satellite radio control module. The passenger seat has the bluetooth module under it, but no satellite radio control module.

Does anyone have any idea where this control module is in the is car? Any help/guidance/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
It should be mounted under the rear shelf. But you get to it through the trunk. No taking any panels apart. At least that's where it was on my 09. If someone doesn't chime in with a different answer I can look in the back of my 15 and let you know if it's there on mine.

Lon

TDI
2013 Jetta
Thanks for the reply Dieseline. I checked there before I took everything apart, just to be sure, and it is not mounted there. Apparently, they mounted some under the rear shelf in 2013, and some under the front seats. But I do not have one at either location. Thanks for helping.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually now that I'm thinking about it, didn't the mk6 get the module integrated into the head unit? Does your radio have the isn and San numbers listed on a decal on the radio itself?

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Meant esn, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying.. good luck!

Lon

TDI
2013 Jetta
Yes, both numbers are on a decal on top of the head unit. Does that mean that the satellite control module is in the head unit? If so, is it replaceable, or does the whole unit need replacing? Thanks again for the help, Dieseline.

Lon

TDI
2013 Jetta
OK. Thanks for the info compu_85. Do you know if the satellite radio control module can be replaced by itself, or does the whole radio head unit need replacing? Thanks again for the help.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Lon, just for hahas before buying a new radio, try resetting your stereo by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds, while the unit is on. This may or may not help your situation but it's free, and has fixed problems with these head units before.

FastEarle

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
2014 TDI Sirius issues. Does not boot

Hi all, my first post. So, everything else works perfect, when I hot the SAT button, I get the logo.... Nothing else and it won't work. I'm guessing the module is built in? Could this be an antenna issue? Thanks in advance. I've tried the reset to no avail...

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Hi all, my first post. So, everything else works perfect, when I hot the SAT button, I get the logo.... Nothing else and it won't work. I'm guessing the module is built in? Could this be an antenna issue? Thanks in advance. I've tried the reset to no avail...
You could try unplugging it and plugging it back in before you order a new one. Could probably just pull a fuse but I don't know if there's more than one. Mine will sometimes do what you're describing (channel update->locked up, or just power on->locked up on logo screen) but it seems to resolve itself turning it on/off or cycling ignition on/off. Mine will also sometimes channel update several times a day, there might be something wrong with it.